Threatened by Landlord, help please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threatened by Landlord, help please!!

Hi everyone I am new here and hope you guys can give me some advice with my landlord, or to be more precise, her 7 foot giant builder husband

So... background. There are too many similar issues to list now but this is what happened.The bathroom window was sticking, which we reported. One day my house mate pulled the handle off and so the problem began. First of all he had it closed which caused damp in the bathroom and so we opened it, now we have mold growing there. The bathroom is freezing and at 4:30am, showering is painful.

When I rang my landlady yesterday she did not answer her phone as usual and so I left a polite message, wile stressing the urgency of the matter. Maybe the 5th time we reported this and not just me, other housemates have too! As I finish work I get a call and she is screaming down the phone at me that we have never reported this and many other crazy ideas. Then her husband shouts down the phone......."If you don't shut the **** up I'm gonna come round there and beat ya **** head in"

I called the police and they said they could only give me a CAD number and that he would actually have to beat my brains out before they can really help, ha!

Gulp, help please anyone?

Hi

Well, its difficult to add anything to what you no doubt already know. To threaten you in this way is clearly a criminal offence. The police ought to investigate; if you persist with them I think they will have to accept that.

In theory, you could also apply for an injunction ordering him not to threaten you again. Whether or not you would get an injunction on the basis of one incident is difficult to say, but probably unlikely. It is possible to make an application yourself, but more than likely you would need a solicitor to help you do this.

There may also be local adivce centres who could help you?

So, it depends partly on how far you want to take the issue.

And on the issue of the window that won't close properly, the landlord should, of course, repair this

Good luck

Preston

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
      Hi

Well, its difficult to add anything to what you no doubt already know. To threaten you in this way is clearly a criminal offence. The police ought to investigate; if you persist with them I think they will have to accept that.

In theory, you could also apply for an injunction ordering him not to threaten you again. Whether or not you would get an injunction on the basis of one incident is difficult to say, but probably unlikely. It is possible to make an application yourself, but more than likely you would need a solicitor to help you do this.

There may also be local adivce centres who could help you?

So, it depends partly on how far you want to take the issue.

And on the issue of the window that won't close properly, the landlord should, of course, repair this

Good luck

Preston
      Do you have any hard evidence of what he said to you, or would it be your word against his?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

No idea how legal it is but I tend to record these type of phone calls. Better still to move communications to email or letters so you have a trail.
        ~~~~~

Comment

Useful tip:

Send all complaints about repairs in writing (even send registered post if you need to prove they got it). You then have evidence in writing. Your LL has a statutory liability to keep structure in repair and free from hazards

Suggest you deal with your LL by the book on a professional basis. Log all action taken and response.

If he threatens you again, that constitutes harrassment. get advice from your council tenancy relations officer/envrionmental health. See if you can get them to enforce repairs.
          All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

There are (as I am aware) two ways of getting injunctions in situations like this. The first is an injunction under the Family Law Act - this covers domestic abuse situations where the person doing the threatening and the victim are in some way related or involved. (this does not appear to apply here).

The second way is a claim for an injunction under the Protection from Harassment Act.

I have not dealt with injunctions under the FLA and do not deal with family law.

I have dealt with claims under the Harassment Act. To be able to bring such a claim you need to establish a 'course of conduct' - this is defined within the Act (advising from memory) as at least 2 incidents. The incident you have alleged would count as 1 incident, and the Police log will help.

You do not state there is a second incident and hopefully one will not occur, however, you might want to think about writing to LL (or instructing solicitor to do so) asking her to not instruct Mr X to threaten you and should it happen again then you may commence proceedings for an injunction. Might also be wise to write to Mr X as well in similar terms.

You need to decide how you want to deal with this - a letter usually has one of 2 results - either an apology and an assurance it will not happen again, or the letter could enrage Mr X and you might have your second incident....

the letter helps you to build your case for an injunction, but because of the risk it does more harm than good you may choose to simply leave it at the Police log and hope it was a one off.
            PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.

Comment

fix the handle yourself. they can be bought from any diy shop and i am sure it will be cheaper than what the landlord will charge to send someone to do it.

the landlady sounds very unprofessional to me and sometimes tenants have to move on to find to suitable landlord that matches your expectations..

my advice - move out and give notice

Comment

Originally posted by LandlordLee View Post
                fix the handle yourself. they can be bought from any diy shop and i am sure it will be cheaper than what the landlord will charge to send someone to do it.

the landlady sounds very unprofessional to me and sometimes tenants have to move on to find to suitable landlord that matches your expectations..

my advice - move out and give notice
                That depends on the kind of handle - if a double glazed window, they can be near impossible to replace cheaply.

I agree with your second comment but...that may not be an option. They may have months to go on their AST yet, and you cannot break a contract before its fixed term/breakclause on the basis of one, unrecorded abusive phone call, unpleasant as it was.

And if OP is able to 'move out and give notice' as you suggest, perhaps he should do it the right way round!
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Simple answer to this, get the xxxx out!
                  Nobody should have to put up with loser landlords like this, who knows what more hassle lies in store for you.
                  Irrespective of how long you have left on your contract leave as soon as you have found somewhere else. Do you really want to be maintaining these idiots asset at your expense?

Comment

Originally posted by humbleone View Post
                    Simple answer to this, get the xxxx out!
                    Nobody should have to put up with loser landlords like this, who knows what more hassle lies in store for you.
                    Irrespective of how long you have left on your contract leave as soon as you have found somewhere else. Do you really want to be maintaining these idiots asset at your expense?
                    This is not a helpful response. You are effectively encouraging OP to break the law if you tell him to leave asap 'irrespective of how long you have left on your contract'. His LL could sue him for the whole of the rent for the remainder of his contract term. His only defence in court would be that her husband had verbally threatened him, once, over the phone, but that he has no proof of what was said.

Think about it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X