Jointly-owned property; can one owner alone let it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jointly-owned property; can one owner alone let it?

If there are joint owners of a property do the two parties need to sign a tenancy agreement or does it just need one signature?
    Can an owner let a property without the knowledge of the joint owner?

Originally posted by helen.powell33 View Post
    If there are joint owners of a property do the two parties need to sign a tenancy agreement or does it just need one signature?
    Can an owner let a property without the knowledge of the joint owner?
    Only the joint owners can let. Call them X and Y. One (X) could be authorised by the other (Y) to sign.

X would then sign:
    a. as an owner; and
    b. on behalf of Y as an owner.

Also, remember that an AST can be valid even if oral (nothing in writing) and X+Y could bind themselves as joint L- so signature by one, representing both, could equally bind them.

Who are you in this case: X, Y, Agent, or T?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank you for this, I suppose I am Y.
      X wants to rent but I am opposed to renting.
      I wondered if it could be done without my consent.

Comment

Originally posted by helen.powell33 View Post
        Thank you for this, I suppose I am Y.
        X wants to rent but I am opposed to renting.
        I wondered if it could be done without my consent.
        No. If X insists, one of you would have to refer this to a Court for a binding decision- but why waste money?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X