General problems with "tenant"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Scooby
    The chances of HB paying those arrears is pretty slim to say the least, I would be looking at damage limitation and fast, personally i have a many systems in place to deal with jokers like this, but these are set up at the beginning not the "end", so will be of little use to you right now. I would suggest that hb wil take 3-4 weeks to come thru, at best, and then without the the outstanding sums, Is the guy prepared to move quickly or even at all ?

If he is then go back to the freindship and use this to try and rescue the situation and appeal to his better nature, court could/will take several months to get him out and will completely destroy lines of comm and any shred of the "friendship".

I would even offer to help him financially to move "immediately" on the understanding that debt will be repaid on mutually agreed terms, also that the failure to adhere to these WRITTEN AND SIGNED TERMS will result inthe instruction of professional Debt collector and all DC fees will be payable by him.

That gets him out and debt under some kind of control...

The Rodent
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    W.Churchill

Comment

JTA questioned whether the "friend" is a tenant or a lodger. Scooby seems to have accepted that the friend is a tenant but hasn't described the living arrangements in any detail.
      It may be worth looking more closely into whether the friend is in fact only a lodger.
      I'm not sure about the exact conditions which define someone as a lodger but I'd think that things like - does the friend have self-contained accommodation within the house or does he/she share facilities such as kitchen, bathroom, entry-door etc.? - would be relevant.
      The problem is clearly much reduced if the friend can be considered to be a lodger

Comment

Originally posted by johnjw View Post
        JTA questioned whether the "friend" is a tenant or a lodger. Scooby seems to have accepted that the friend is a tenant but hasn't described the living arrangements in any detail.
        It may be worth looking more closely into whether the friend is in fact only a lodger.
        I'm not sure about the exact conditions which define someone as a lodger but I'd think that things like - does the friend have self-contained accommodation within the house or does he/she share facilities such as kitchen, bathroom, entry-door etc.? - would be relevant.
        The problem is clearly much reduced if the friend can be considered to be a lodger

Earlier in the thread, scooby said that the friend was the only tenant and mentioned 'sole ownership' by which I think he means 'sole occupancy', in a house owned by scooby's wife. My interpretation is that scooby and his wife live elsewhere and that this guy (the friend/tenant) is not therefore their lodger, but their tenant on a verbally granted AST which has become periodic by default?

I think scooby is going to have to clarify this before we can be any more use to him!
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          Earlier in the thread, scooby said that the friend was the only tenant and mentioned 'sole ownership' by which I think he means 'sole occupancy', in a house owned by scooby's wife. My interpretation is that scooby and his wife live elsewhere and that this guy (the friend/tenant) is not therefore their lodger, but their tenant on a verbally granted AST which has become periodic by default?

I think scooby is going to have to clarify this before we can be any more use to him!
          Thanks guys for persisting here. The person is the sole user in the house, has access to all facilities like it was their own, we live elsewhere. Was to help them out, say for 6 months but its gone on longer. I was looking over NI law's a bit and I think the person is there under license. We're facing financial problems of ourselves and might have to sell it (or at least get someone in that wants to pay rent and do it properly) and I would like to stay within the law.

-S

Comment

Hi

As I think you have probably discovered the Housing Act 1988 (and much of the other relevant legislation) doesn't apply to Northern Ireland, so unfortunately I won't be able to comment further and please disregard my earlier advice.

Good luck, I hope you find the advice you need.

Preston

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to MCOL & PCOL
              by OS7
              Just to close of this thread : telephone hearing took place and after a lengthy hearing - the defendants application to set aside CCJ was dismissed and a CCJ with an instalment order was ordered by the Judge. He said he saw no real prospect of the defendant defending the claim, however to resolve he...
              30-11-2021, 05:44 AM
            • MCOL & PCOL
              by OS7
              Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
              04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
            • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
              by AndrewDod
              Even if you are an AST "tenant", you are tenant of Sarah, not a tenant of Sarah's landlord. If Sarah ceases to be a tenant that does not make you a tenant of Sarah's landlord (nor does any deposit you paid to Sarah have anything to do with Sarah's landlord).

Sarah's right of...
              29-11-2021, 23:05 PM
            • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
              by Bert1e
              Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
              28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
            • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
              by jpkeates
              There's not normally an issue with the gas certificate timing other than the very first one.
              That said email is not how you give people documents like that, unless the tenant has agreed to be served them by email.
              29-11-2021, 18:16 PM
            • Section 21 and Gas Certificate
              by Mr. Sparkle
              About 3 weeks ago I had a gas certificate issued.

I forgot to email the tenant a copy of the document.

I plan to evict the tenant with either a Section 8 or 21 and want to know whether there is any issue regarding the delay to give the tenant the gas cert?

There...
              29-11-2021, 14:15 PM
            • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
              by theartfullodger
              No idea if the GSC you have is OK or not (1st place, you don;t say) or what the timing is for when it should be served. So difficult to answer.

But...

s8 not an issue

s21 see
              https://nearlylegal.co.uk/section-21-flowchart/

- there's...
              29-11-2021, 17:50 PM
            Working...
            X