• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heating/ outstanding rent

happy new year gents/ladies

i have a bit of a problem

one of my tenants owes me over 3k rent

they now want their heating fixed and i've refused to do it unless they pay me some of the rent

what would you do in this situation? she's threatening to contact the council and i retaliated by saying i'd sue them for the rent they owe

thanks in advance

You need to fix the heating, no matter what they owe you. Have you issued notices to get them out of your property? Don't drag your heels on this, the situation is unlikely to get better.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
      You need to fix the heating, no matter what they owe you. Have you issued notices to get them out of your property? Don't drag your heels on this, the situation is unlikely to get better.
      Agree with the above, but would ask the T how they expect LL to fund repair when rent is due ? (but would effect repair regardless)

The Rodent
      A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
      W.Churchill

Comment

thanks, will get the heating fixed and issue s21 for eviction

what can i do to recover the debt though? can the tenant receive a ccj for non payment?

Comment

You should issue a S8 g8, 10 and 11 as well, you can get an order for the arrears with that, the S21 does not give you that option, and a S8 is quicker.
          There is nothing to stop you issuing both notices.
          I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
            Ask the T how they expect LL to fund repair when rent is due?
            Sadly, receipt of rent cannot be made a pre-requisite for L to make the heating work- he must do this irrespective.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Estate agents letting fees
              by Harper62
              reply to: theartfullodger - the question relates to the agent's commission - the contracts are for one year or more and whether the agent should charge commission of a tenant stays longer than a year
              02-12-2021, 22:01 PM
              by Harper62
              reply to Andrew Dodd - I think you've misunderstood. As I mentioned the house has been let since 2006 - the agent finds the tenants and secures the rental amount, draws up the contract - it's a successful operation. My query related to the period the agent wants to charge commission on. That's what...
              02-12-2021, 21:57 PM
              by Hudson01
              I use an estate agent on a tenant find basis with no management but always interview each of the prospective tenants who pass the tests, i pay 1 months rent as their fee and that is it, if the tenancy lasts 1 year or 10 years i pay that one fee and that is it. Anything else i would not accept.
              02-12-2021, 21:36 PM
            • Reply to 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
              by landlord-man
              12 month AST

Establish rapport with Tenants, do some. LL training and then sack the agent and keep more ££ yourself...
              02-12-2021, 20:43 PM
            • 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
              by Gurvinder
              Hi All

We have a property which is managed by a letting agent
              He has found new Tennent's that want to lease it for 5 yrs. There is a large hospital near the property and the tenants are NHS workers.

My questions are as below.

1) I read somewhere a long...
              30-11-2021, 21:42 PM
              by theartfullodger
              So either do it yourself, no agent, or specify 6 months then rolling periodic.
              02-12-2021, 20:37 PM
            • Estate agents letting fees
              by Harper62
              Can I ask advice on this matter. I've had a property in London since 2006 which is rented. Whichever estate agent I use, they all want to charge a letting fee (let only not managed) on the whole term. Tenants often sign for more than a year and the estate agent is keen to charge a commission for each...
              02-12-2021, 19:00 PM
              by AndrewDod
              Why exactly do you want to use an agent for a Let only non-managed?

The most critical bit of the process which you should be doing yourself (even for fully managed) you are devolving to others. Will end badly....
              02-12-2021, 20:22 PM
            • Reply to help / advice on letting
              by john19
              I really would be grateful if someone could please comment on my above post ;-

1) Can you make an amendment to the existing tenancy agreement removing the estate agents as managing agents?

2) if the estate agents will not amend the existing agreement and still say a new tenancy...
              02-12-2021, 20:17 PM
            • Am I going to have any issues with this s21?
              by Cotton
              for a s21 to be valid i need to give the tenant the gas certifcate, epc, eicr and the 'how to rent' guide before occupation

Being a DSS tenant and not having access to their details prior to occupation, I emailed these documents to the council weeks before the tenant took occupancy at the...
              02-12-2021, 20:06 PM
            Working...
            X