Unofficial Tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unofficial Tenant

I let my flat to a girl who only stayed about 3 weeks, in the meantime though her boyfriend moved in has never paid any rent and does not have any sort of agreement with me. He is refusing to leave. Does any one know whether he has any rights at all? All electric and water supplies run from my business premises below, is it in order for me to cut these off?
    Any advice would be most welcome.

Suggest you read this thread, exactly the same question.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=1503

With regards utilities, I wouldn't - could be construed as harrassment.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

unofficial tenant

Thanks Mr Shed for your reply, have looked at the thread you suggested, u nfortunately no one seemed to have the answers there either.
      He can't be classed as a tenant as he has never paid anything,and he has no agreement so he is actually trespassing as he is there without my permission. Does that make him a squatter?
      All help appreciated but I might have to contact a legal expert on this one.
      Thanks again

Comment

I think it may depend upon the circumstances of the end of her tenancy. Did she return vacant possession of the property to you? Did she give you the keys? What were the circumstances?
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Unofficial tenant

Hi Mr Shed. yes she did return her keys, but he has got a key so I can only presume he stayed with her when she was in the property and got a key cut.
          Have been advised that he is actually a squatter and that I need a possession order. Do you or anyone else know any more info on that process?
          Is it difficult or lengthy?
          Thanks once again for help received.
          The doctor

Comment

In my opinion, if she returned possession of the property to you(which it is clear she did), he is a squatter. As for the procedure, I have no idea I'm afraid. I believe it is "fairly" quick however.

Comment

As your tenant has submitted her keys back to you she has given up the property. From my understanding this boyfriend is tresspassing and you should call the police and have him removed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X