Unofficial Tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unofficial Tenant

I let my flat to a girl who only stayed about 3 weeks, in the meantime though her boyfriend moved in has never paid any rent and does not have any sort of agreement with me. He is refusing to leave. Does any one know whether he has any rights at all? All electric and water supplies run from my business premises below, is it in order for me to cut these off?
    Any advice would be most welcome.

Suggest you read this thread, exactly the same question.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=1503

With regards utilities, I wouldn't - could be construed as harrassment.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

unofficial tenant

Thanks Mr Shed for your reply, have looked at the thread you suggested, u nfortunately no one seemed to have the answers there either.
      He can't be classed as a tenant as he has never paid anything,and he has no agreement so he is actually trespassing as he is there without my permission. Does that make him a squatter?
      All help appreciated but I might have to contact a legal expert on this one.
      Thanks again

Comment

I think it may depend upon the circumstances of the end of her tenancy. Did she return vacant possession of the property to you? Did she give you the keys? What were the circumstances?
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Unofficial tenant

Hi Mr Shed. yes she did return her keys, but he has got a key so I can only presume he stayed with her when she was in the property and got a key cut.
          Have been advised that he is actually a squatter and that I need a possession order. Do you or anyone else know any more info on that process?
          Is it difficult or lengthy?
          Thanks once again for help received.
          The doctor

Comment

In my opinion, if she returned possession of the property to you(which it is clear she did), he is a squatter. As for the procedure, I have no idea I'm afraid. I believe it is "fairly" quick however.

Comment

As your tenant has submitted her keys back to you she has given up the property. From my understanding this boyfriend is tresspassing and you should call the police and have him removed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                by Renterthedragon
                I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
                18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
              • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                by ash72
                I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
                18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
              • notifying utility companies of tenant change
                by flyingfreehold
                Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
                18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hooper
                I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
                18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
              • Single parent renting
                by Dct
                A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hudson01
                This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
                18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
              • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Hudson01
                As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
                18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
              • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Forgetmeknot
                I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
                so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
                18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
              • Reply to Let a house to local council
                by ram
                If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
                18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
              • Let a house to local council
                by r3drum
                Guys

Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
                20-11-2019, 11:58 AM
              Working...
              X