court action -ending tenancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

court action -ending tenancy

on 14th November 2007 i signed a 12 month assured shorthold tenancy agreement with a letting agency. Due to financial difficulty i gave 4 weeks notice on the property on 14th October, one month short of my tenancy ending. I have moved back home to get my finances straight and i have now received a notice of intention to take me to court for the last months rent due. Where do i stand in this matter? Do i have to pay the money for the month i was not living there even though i gave 4 weeks notice on the property? I do not have the money to pay them and would just like any advice.

Hi Lizzywizzy,

Yes infact you have to pay the landlord till the end of the fixed term agreement even though you moved out prior to that date.

I understand what you say about not being able to afford the rent so gave 4weeks notice, I think that was the sensible solution to do and the landlord could have waived the last months rent, but that is personal choice. I would have.

What to do is write to the letting agent advising that you can only afford x amount per month to clear off the arrears. Only put down what you can afford however aim to have the arrears cleared off within a maximum of 6months. If you have any problems with the agent accepting that let me know and i'll draft you a letter to send them. That will make them leave you alone and accept what you can afford. The main thing here is that you are asking for the correct advice and then dealing with the matter, which is quite unusual. Normally have to take court action to get monies owed. On this matter if you agree and start making repayments to your rent debt then the letting agent or landlord cant take court action against you, and even if they did the court would throw it out as you are making repayments and then the landlord would loose more money on his costs.

Jax

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the reply, i will contact and try to arrange suitable payments, thanks again,

Lizzy

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X