X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord's unauthorised building next door affects ours

Please let me have your advice
    Our landlord seems very devious..

We moved into a top 4th floor flat with a roof very private roof terrace.

A few months after moving in the flat the 2 floor building next door and over the coming year a four story building was built the roof level was below our terrace level.

The development was by our landlord. He did not warn us of the intended development before we signed the lease and not until work started.

Early this summer there was various activity on the roof (the builders at our level .imposing on our privacy all summer) they were building a roof terrace.! Again we were not informed..

To cut a long storey short he had no planning permission and the council told him in no uncertain terms.. No roof terrace..
    This week a large building has appeared a top on the roof.. Blocking our sun and will ruin our privacy and none of this has planning permission..

I am sure it will be removed but its more noise etc

The main thing is the disrespect he has shown us by not informing us or compensating us for the disruption. And invasion of our privacy on the roof terrace all summer.

I am trying to negotiate a rental decrease.. But no look yet as its very obvious he is a wheeler dealer

What are my rights? Legally etc... How should I progress this... ?

We signed a tenancy agreement a week ago and a week later he is whacking up this building.. !

Cheers

How long have you got left on your agreement??

Seeing as we are in the winter and wont see much sun in the next 5 months, why dont you move out when the tenancy expires..

Comment

just signed the agreement recently.. though thats not really an issue as we can give 2 months notice anytime..
      i felt we had a strong case for a fair reduction.. but lanlord says no !

obviously he cant ask us to leave without a good reason either if he takes umbridge ?!?!?

Comment

i should aslo say these events have happend over the 2 years we have been in this tennancy,,

so it accumulative events

cheers

Comment

The unauthorised building is a matter is for the local authority to deal with. Simply report the activities.

Due to the fact you are unhappy, you should look to move somewhere that is preferable with a landlord that operates within the law.

Don't hold your breath for a rent reduction in this scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman
            Be thankful you do not own the building you live in.

Find somewhere else - your landlord obviously is not bothered by the problems he is causing you. These are a matter for the council all.

You can also give one months notice, not two....

Unless you are not based in the UK perhaps?
            OP hasn't clarified if the tenancy is AST, so the notice period could be two months if that what the agreement says.

Comment

i notice NOW that the tennancy agreement says that the tennancy should not be ended berfor 10 months of the tennacy expires.. surely this is only relevant to the first year only...!
              we do sign one every year.. can this be correct...?

anyway my main issue with all the work is his disregard for our wishes and sees no need to smooth things through with us..

he continues to build we have spoke to planning and they asure us he is in breach of planning and they have advised him to stop building

Comment

If you have signed up for another 12 months, then surely the 12 months will stand unless there is an exclusion clause i.e after 10 months..

Just keep badgering planning, but dont hold your breath for a positive outcome I am afraid..

Comment

Originally posted by boomshake View Post
                  i notice NOW that the tennancy agreement says that the tennancy should not be ended berfor 10 months of the tennacy expires.. surely this is only relevant to the first year only...!
                  we do sign one every year.. can this be correct...?

anyway my main issue with all the work is his disregard for our wishes and sees no need to smooth things through with us..

he continues to build we have spoke to planning and they asure us he is in breach of planning and they have advised him to stop building

When you sign a new tenancy agreement, a new tenancy starts, so you need to stay another 10 months in the property before you can end the tenancy.

Obviously the Landlord doesn't value his tenants, but there is not much you can do about it. Think of it this way, if anyone other then your LL was building without PP, what could you do? Inform your local planning office? You have done that; you just need to wait for an outcome now.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X