Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractors entered property without tenant's knowledge

Hi all.

After my last post about my broken sink (thanks for all the helpful replies) I came home from work last night and found a note from a contractor saying he had been in my house to look at the sink. Since there was no emergency, shouldn't I have been notified in advance about the letting agency allowing unsupervised workmen into my house ? Does this constitute a breach of my tenancy agreement and if so what rights do I have?

Thanks,

Iain.

Originally posted by piemann View Post
    Hi all.

After my last post about my broken sink (thanks for all the helpful replies) I came home from work last night and found a note from a contractor saying he had been in my house to look at the sink. Since there was no emergency, shouldn't I have been notified in advance about the letting agency allowing unsupervised workmen into my house ? Does this constitute a breach of my tenancy agreement and if so what rights do I have?

Thanks,

Iain.
    Yes, in principle you should have been notified and given the opportunity to say 'no' if the appointment was inconvenient. However, unless you think they have stolen something (unlikely),your best course of action is to contact the landlord direct and make it clear you don't want a recurrence.

It's unprofessional of them but it's not a hanging offence and presumbly they were hoping to fix your sink (I hope with a real ceramic one this time!) which is presumably what you wanted. So I wouldn't throw yourself around too much!
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Agree with previous post.

They should give notice. They have breached the agreement

Unsupervised workman will be the norm unless you are prepared to take time off work whenever you need something fixed.

If you prefer to always be present let them know they need to allow you time to get leave, or if a lone worker is acceptable simply insist you are informed prior to a visit by whichever medium you prefer (letter, email, text)

If they breach again, enter phase 2.
      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X