Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant vacated but wants to return after Notice to Quit

Hi

We have had a tenant for over 2 years in one of our properties, originally a 6 month short assured tenancy.

She was given a notice to quit, due to rent arrears, August 23rd 2008. She owes us in excess of £1000.

We were advised by her friends 4 weeks ago that she had left the property to live in Wales, this can be witnessed. We know she even had her dogs re-registered in Wales.

I entered the property after a week, due to the freezing conditions to make sure the heating was on - it was not as the electric meter had switched off due to no credit. We had the power company reset the meter (it had £40 arrears) and issue us with a key to top it up. The contents of the fridge and freezer were spoiled.

The tenant has left white goods, TV, kitchen goods, etc - apparently these were no use to her. I changed the locks at this stage.

We have now heard that it hasn't worked out for her in Wales and is coming back. She knows the locks have been changed and we would not give her another tenancy - she has other ideas and has taken legal advice.

I have read the threads here - and am a bit worried about the situation. Does the fact she was given a notice to quit make a difference? How should I proceed if she demands access / moving back in?

We are in Scotland - so this may make a difference.

Regards
    Colin

Last point first: you are in Scotland, but where is the let property: there or in E&W?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Property is in Scotland

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by mckean View Post
        Property is in Scotland

Regards
        Aha: so LZ members probably cannot help very much. Sorry.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X