Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffrey
    replied
    Your colleague is wrong. Anyway, you need not wait: there should simply be two months' unpaid [not same as two months' arrears].
    Before you proceed, use LZ search facility re "section 8" and "ground 8".

Leave a comment:

• SALL
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin18 View Post
    I have a tenant who is almost two months in arrears with their rent.

I have tried to make contact by telephone and a hand delivered letter but they have refused to make contact.

I have made it clear that I am prepared to be reasonable in regard to the arrears including temporarily reduced rent or instalments but they have still not made contact

I was going to issue a Section 8 notice giving two weeks notice when two months rent became overdue (in about a weeks time). However a colleague with legal knowledge in this area, has advised against this saying I would need to issue proceedings before doing this notice and it was likely to be very messy if I did.

They advised to issue a Section 21 notice and pursue the unpaid rent throught the small claims court.

I am confused about what to do....the S21 notice seems to inappropriate in this instance...

Personally I would go for section 8.

You do not need to wait till the rent is 2 months over due, only 2 months rent needs to be "unpaid" before you can server section 8 notice and then start proceedings. So basically as soon as send months rent is due, you can serve the notice.

After 2 weeks you can start a claim for possession and rent arrears.

If you go down section 21 route, you need to give 2 months notice, and then you will need to start possession proceedings. (You could try accelerated procedure – but tenant could request hearing) in which case you have to wait the same amount of time as you would with section 8 court hearing.

You just need to decide which option would work for the best for you.

Leave a comment:

• Martin18
    started a topic Tenant's rent arrears- almost two months' unpaid

Tenant's rent arrears- almost two months' unpaid

I have a tenant who is almost two months in arrears with their rent.

I have tried to make contact by telephone and a hand delivered letter but they have refused to make contact.

I have made it clear that I am prepared to be reasonable in regard to the arrears including temporarily reduced rent or instalments but they have still not made contact

I was going to issue a Section 8 notice giving two weeks notice when two months rent became overdue (in about a weeks time). However a colleague with legal knowledge in this area, has advised against this saying I would need to issue proceedings before doing this notice and it was likely to be very messy if I did.

They advised to issue a Section 21 notice and pursue the unpaid rent throught the small claims court.

I am confused about what to do....the S21 notice seems to inappropriate in this instance...

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X