Can anyone define 'Landlord'?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can anyone define 'Landlord'?

    Silly question i know, but does anyone have the definite definition of a landlord? I know there are different types such as the owner of the property or "head" landlord or there can be a landlord who is not the owner but is entitled to rent (sometimes called mesne??).

    #2
    Originally posted by MaryQK View Post
    Silly question i know, but does anyone have the definite definition of a landlord? I know there are different types such as the owner of the property or "head" landlord or there can be a landlord who is not the owner but is entitled to rent (sometimes called mesne??).
    It is the harassed looking person generally found unblocking the sink at midnight on a Bank Holiday while the tenants party. They are referred to by a variety of names, mostly more offensive than 'mesne'.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by MaryQK View Post
      Silly question i know, but does anyone have the definite definition of a landlord? I know there are different types such as the owner of the property or "head" landlord or there can be a landlord who is not the owner but is entitled to rent (sometimes called mesne??).
      Easiest definition is-
      the person who:
      a. would personally have the right to reside/trade/etc; but
      b. has carved-out an inferior right for another occupier (T).
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

      Comment


        #4
        MaryQK, you've answered your own question. There several different ownership scenarios placing people in the position of "landlord".

        Comment


          #5
          A landlord is the bugger that will argue with me about the cost of carrying out a repair and then tell me he has an illegal migrant worker that will do it for a lot cheaper
          My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Sorrel View Post
            A landlord is the bugger that will argue with me about the cost of carrying out a repair and then tell me he has an illegal migrant worker that will do it for a lot cheaper
            You'll swear all that under oath, will you?!
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
              You'll swear all that under oath, will you?!
              Tautology: anything under Oath is sworn.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

              Comment


                #8
                True. But Sorrel swore about it all outside of a courtroom, so...never mind!
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                  True. But Sorrel swore about it all outside of a courtroom, so...never mind!
                  Almost every Affidavit is sworn elsewhere than in a Courtroom. That's true too of Oaths of Loyalty (MPs, Military, spies, etc.)
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Suppose:

                    ·If A grants a tenancy to B

                    ·B then grants a tenancy to C

                    ·C then grants a tenancy to D

                    We then have the position where:

                    ·A is the head landlord and also the superior landlord to B, C and D.

                    ·B is the superior landlord to C and D and also a mesne landlord.

                    ·C is the superior landlord to D and also a mesne landlord.

                    ·A is B's immediate landlord, B is C's immediate landlord and C is D's immediate landlord.

                    ·B is a tenant and C and D are undertenants or sub-tenants. D may also be referred to as a sub-undertenant.

                    ·The tenancy granted by A to B is a tenancy, and once a sub-tenancy is granted will be referred to as the head or superior tenancy.

                    ·The tenancy granted by B to C is a sub-tenancy or undertenancy.

                    ·The tenancy granted by C to D is also a sub-tenancy or undertenancy, but may also be referred to as a sub-undertenancy.

                    ·Each of A, B, C and D owns an estate in the land and is entitled to possession in the strict legal sense of the word, but only D is entitled to occupation.

                    All sub-tenancies are of course tenancies - the "sub" just indicates it is not a head tenancy.

                    The following can also happen:

                    ·A grants a tenancy to B

                    ·A then grants another tenancy of the same property to C

                    In this case the second tenancy is a concurrent tenancy and does not carry with it a right to occupation. It is superior to the first tenancy, but the first tenancy does not become a sub-tenancy. So long as the second tenancy lasts, C is entitled to rent from B and to enforce the terms of the tenancy.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                      Suppose:

                      ·If A grants a tenancy to B

                      ·B then grants a tenancy to C

                      ·C then grants a tenancy to D

                      We then have the position where:

                      ·A is the head landlord and also the superior landlord to B, C and D.

                      ·B is the superior landlord to C and D and also a mesne landlord.

                      ·C is the superior landlord to D and also a mesne landlord.

                      ·A is B's immediate landlord, B is C's immediate landlord and C is D's immediate landlord.

                      ·B is a tenant and C and D are undertenants or sub-tenants. D may also be referred to as a sub-undertenant.

                      ·The tenancy granted by A to B is a tenancy, and once a sub-tenancy is granted will be referred to as the head or superior tenancy.

                      ·The tenancy granted by B to C is a sub-tenancy or undertenancy.

                      ·The tenancy granted by C to D is also a sub-tenancy or undertenancy, but may also be referred to as a sub-undertenancy.

                      ·Each of A, B, C and D owns an estate in the land and is entitled to possession in the strict legal sense of the word, but only D is entitled to occupation.

                      All sub-tenancies are of course tenancies - the "sub" just indicates it is not a head tenancy.

                      The following can also happen:

                      ·A grants a tenancy to B

                      ·A then grants another tenancy of the same property to C

                      In this case the second tenancy is a concurrent tenancy and does not carry with it a right to occupation. It is superior to the first tenancy, but the first tenancy does not become a sub-tenancy. So long as the second tenancy lasts, C is entitled to rent from B and to enforce the terms of the tenancy.

                      Reminds me of a sketch with John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett
                      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

                      * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * *

                      You can search the forums here:

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                        You'll swear all that under oath, will you?!
                        Ha no im more scared of the landlord than anything else!
                        My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

                        Comment

                        Latest Activity

                        Collapse

                        • Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
                          by Moderator2
                          Hooper,

                          Just post a new thread, I’ll lock this one for now, then remove it when the new thread gets going.

                          Just to be clear (to everyone), here are some reasons why threads with names are edited or deleted.
                          1. It can (and has) lead to legal action against forum members and/or
                          ...
                          18-09-2021, 15:01 PM
                        • Tenant references are a joke.
                          by Hooper
                          I made two separate requests (one direct and one through a referencing company) for a landlord / agent reference for the same tenant at the same address.

                          I got two replies two days apart.

                          The first said they had always paid within 7 days of the payment date and that there had...
                          17-09-2021, 12:03 PM
                        • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
                          by jpkeates
                          The underlay is the key.
                          At home I use cheap carpet (because of pets) over good underlay.
                          18-09-2021, 14:45 PM
                        • Typical lifetime of carpets
                          by davett
                          I've done some searching and I see people asserting that the typical lifetime of a carpet is between 5 and 7 years. My question is, has this been established in court or is it just general knowledge?...
                          17-09-2021, 13:11 PM
                        • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
                          by jpucng62
                          Let’s be honest, most tenants don’t look after carpets as well as a homeowner. There is no point putting a quality in a rental when you can’t be sure how it will be looked after - a burn or a coffee / wine stain will ruin a decent carpet as well as a cheap one. I go for a bleach cleanable, mid...
                          18-09-2021, 14:39 PM
                        • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                          by jpkeates
                          There was nothing about a default in the post I was responding to.
                          The post said that there had been a hearing, so if there was a default, it would have to be some kind of procedural issue.
                          If you don't turn up to defend a claim, there has to have been some kind of error in notification...
                          18-09-2021, 13:40 PM
                        • MCOL & PCOL
                          by OS7
                          Hello Everyone,

                          Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
                          04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
                        • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
                          by AndrewDod
                          Most of my carpets in my own home (good quality) are 15+ years old and still, with care, look perfect.

                          Asking carpet people how often you need to replace your carpet is like asking a damp proofing installer whether you need damp proofing....
                          18-09-2021, 13:16 PM
                        • Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
                          by Hooper
                          Yes - both references received 2 days apart from the dedicated referencing department of a national group of letting agents....
                          18-09-2021, 12:14 PM
                        • Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
                          by Hooper
                          With respect, the editing has changed the nature of my posts and title and it is not entirely clear to a reader what has and has not been edited. I am not happy with the posts or title as edited being attributed to me. I think the response a couple of posts up demonstrates that the edits have made it...
                          18-09-2021, 12:10 PM
                        Working...
                        X