Can anyone define 'Landlord'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone define 'Landlord'?

Silly question i know, but does anyone have the definite definition of a landlord? I know there are different types such as the owner of the property or "head" landlord or there can be a landlord who is not the owner but is entitled to rent (sometimes called mesne??).

Originally posted by MaryQK View Post
    Silly question i know, but does anyone have the definite definition of a landlord? I know there are different types such as the owner of the property or "head" landlord or there can be a landlord who is not the owner but is entitled to rent (sometimes called mesne??).
    It is the harassed looking person generally found unblocking the sink at midnight on a Bank Holiday while the tenants party. They are referred to by a variety of names, mostly more offensive than 'mesne'.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by MaryQK View Post
      Easiest definition is-
      the person who:
      a. would personally have the right to reside/trade/etc; but
      b. has carved-out an inferior right for another occupier (T).
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

MaryQK, you've answered your own question. There several different ownership scenarios placing people in the position of "landlord".

Comment

A landlord is the bugger that will argue with me about the cost of carrying out a repair and then tell me he has an illegal migrant worker that will do it for a lot cheaper
          My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrel View Post
            A landlord is the bugger that will argue with me about the cost of carrying out a repair and then tell me he has an illegal migrant worker that will do it for a lot cheaper
            You'll swear all that under oath, will you?!
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
              Tautology: anything under Oath is sworn.
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

True. But Sorrel swore about it all outside of a courtroom, so...never mind!

Comment

True. But Sorrel swore about it all outside of a courtroom, so...never mind!
                  Almost every Affidavit is sworn elsewhere than in a Courtroom. That's true too of Oaths of Loyalty (MPs, Military, spies, etc.)

Comment

Suppose:

·If A grants a tenancy to B

·B then grants a tenancy to C

·C then grants a tenancy to D

We then have the position where:

·A is the head landlord and also the superior landlord to B, C and D.

·B is the superior landlord to C and D and also a mesne landlord.

·C is the superior landlord to D and also a mesne landlord.

·A is B's immediate landlord, B is C's immediate landlord and C is D's immediate landlord.

·B is a tenant and C and D are undertenants or sub-tenants. D may also be referred to as a sub-undertenant.

·The tenancy granted by A to B is a tenancy, and once a sub-tenancy is granted will be referred to as the head or superior tenancy.

·The tenancy granted by B to C is a sub-tenancy or undertenancy.

·The tenancy granted by C to D is also a sub-tenancy or undertenancy, but may also be referred to as a sub-undertenancy.

·Each of A, B, C and D owns an estate in the land and is entitled to possession in the strict legal sense of the word, but only D is entitled to occupation.

All sub-tenancies are of course tenancies - the "sub" just indicates it is not a head tenancy.

The following can also happen:

·A grants a tenancy to B

·A then grants another tenancy of the same property to C

In this case the second tenancy is a concurrent tenancy and does not carry with it a right to occupation. It is superior to the first tenancy, but the first tenancy does not become a sub-tenancy. So long as the second tenancy lasts, C is entitled to rent from B and to enforce the terms of the tenancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                      Suppose:

·If A grants a tenancy to B

·B then grants a tenancy to C

·C then grants a tenancy to D

We then have the position where:

·A is the head landlord and also the superior landlord to B, C and D.

·B is the superior landlord to C and D and also a mesne landlord.

·C is the superior landlord to D and also a mesne landlord.

·A is B's immediate landlord, B is C's immediate landlord and C is D's immediate landlord.

·B is a tenant and C and D are undertenants or sub-tenants. D may also be referred to as a sub-undertenant.

·The tenancy granted by A to B is a tenancy, and once a sub-tenancy is granted will be referred to as the head or superior tenancy.

·The tenancy granted by B to C is a sub-tenancy or undertenancy.

·The tenancy granted by C to D is also a sub-tenancy or undertenancy, but may also be referred to as a sub-undertenancy.

·Each of A, B, C and D owns an estate in the land and is entitled to possession in the strict legal sense of the word, but only D is entitled to occupation.

All sub-tenancies are of course tenancies - the "sub" just indicates it is not a head tenancy.

The following can also happen:

·A grants a tenancy to B

·A then grants another tenancy of the same property to C

In this case the second tenancy is a concurrent tenancy and does not carry with it a right to occupation. It is superior to the first tenancy, but the first tenancy does not become a sub-tenancy. So long as the second tenancy lasts, C is entitled to rent from B and to enforce the terms of the tenancy.

Reminds me of a sketch with John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett
                      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Ha no im more scared of the landlord than anything else!
                        My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X