Apportioning rent for part of month- how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apportioning rent for part of month- how?

Hi.
    I feel daft asking this question but seem to be tying myself in knots thinking about it - brain bit fuzzy this morn I think
    If a tenant pays rent per calendar month how would you work out a part months rent? e.g. £750pcm due how much would 7 days rent be?
    Not a trick question just feeling bit dopey this morn
    Thanks
    Alidee

750x12 then divide by 365 and multiply by 7.

Or

750x12 divided by 52

Comment

Multiply 750 by 12 = 9000
      Divide the result by 365 = 24.66
      Multiply result by 7 = 172.62
      Mrs Jones
      I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

750 x 12 / 52 gives a different (and less accurate) result.
        Mrs Jones
        I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies - that is the way I did it but something was telling me I was wrong. Right caffeine time now to wake my brain up
          Thanks again

Comment

Posts #2 and #3 are correct. ALWAYS use yearly total for daily-rate apportionments: see s.2 of Apportionment Act 1870.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Swings and roundabouts

I don't necessarily agree that one method is less accurate than another. The number of days in a month vary in length for a start. Then there are leap years.

This will always mean differences in calculated results. That's just the way it is.

Give you a couple examples:
              1. The six month period 1/1/2007 - 30/6/2007 has 180 days
              2. The six month period 1/5/2007 - 31/10/2007 has 183 days

This means that a tenancy during the second example benefits the tenants with three more days for the same money than the first example.

If I need to do a partial month calculation, I try to use the calculation that benefits me most at the time.

Comment

No, you have to use the 1870 Act basis (unless the Lease/Tenancy Agreement excludes it).
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I always RENT Multiplied by TWELVE, Divided by 365, Multiplied by the number of days required

750 multiplied by twelve divided by 365 and multiplied by 7.

James
                  I Take Life with a Pinch of Salt.… A Wedge of Lime, and a Shot of Tequila.... Therefore any information given in this post is based on my own experiences as a landlord. It is NOT legal advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X