Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much Rent/Bond increase for Pets?

Hi all,
    I have been over some previous posts about pets and after some consideration (and teh fact that I need a tenant!) I have decided to allow cats in the porperty.

But how much increase in rent and/or bond would you suggest that I charge?
    I currently am renting for £550 and bond of £600.

Thank you!

Don't do it would be my advice.*

But if you are going to go ahead then at least twice the monthly rent in my opinion.

A normal deposit is a month to a month and a half.

If it's "cats" rather than cat well then there is alot of potential damage afoot. Although one cat can do enough damage on its own.

(*not assuming all pet owners have delinquent animals but you just never know)

Comment

I'd love to say no but with it being so close to Christmas I simply cannot afford to go without tenants - and may very well likely do so.

Thanks for the suggestion though

Rent to stay the same, does anyone think...? Or is the bond "enough" to cover it?

Comment

Originally posted by bunny View Post
        Don't do it would be my advice.*

But if you are going to go ahead then at least twice the monthly rent in my opinion.

A normal deposit is a month to a month and a half.

If it's "cats" rather than cat well then there is alot of potential damage afoot. Although one cat can do enough damage on its own.

(*not assuming all pet owners have delinquent animals but you just never know)
        We don't allow pets either, (some of the students we rent to are still learning to feed and clean up after themselves, let alone an animal), but in my experience of people who love cats...one is fine; two are less good, because they blame 'crimes' on each other and you can never quite tell which one did it; three is ridiculous and four or more is plain bonkers, like their owners.

I would venture to suggest that there is an inverse mathematical correlation between the number of pets, and the grip their owners have on reality.

In view of this, I would agree that you need to take a whacking great deposit - enough to replace all the carpets if necessary and any upholstered furniture.

Be especially careful with your inventory/check in -include photographs showing state of all furniture which cats may subsequently scratch, and state very clearly that property does not smell of cats at beginning of tenancy.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

More excellent advice!

I have usually denied bringing in pets but circumstances dictate otherwise.
          Looks like I might restrict myself to maybe just the one cat, too.

I would venture to suggest that there is an inverse mathematical correlation between the number of pets, and the grip their owners have on reality.
          Brilliant!

Comment

Can I also mention "fleas". You might want to mention in the tenancy that the carpets etc have to be professionally fumigated/de (potential) fleaded at the end.

I KNOW all the debates about professional cleaning etc etc and whether this is an unfair term but surely not if you agree to have pets? Fleas can live for quite a while. If I rented to animals I would want it fumigated/treated before I relet.

Comment

Interesting. But I have read a thread on here saying such a clause would be unenforceable. However I could say in the inventroy that the carpets are to be in the same state as at the beginning of the tenancy and state no previous pets had been dwelling at the house prior (or words to that effect).
              This would (surely) cover for any pet damage.

Plus the downstairs is laminate. Did I just dig another hole for myself there..!? I know people with cats and laminate and they haven't had issues with scratches etc.

Comment

Originally posted by madjohn View Post
                Rent to stay the same, does anyone think...? Or is the bond "enough" to cover it?
                Sorry to answer your question directly, I wouldn't ncessarily increase the rent as it's the deposit at the end to cover any damage that's key but get as much as you can. Landlords who accept pets are quite difficult to find generally so most pet owners expect to pay greater deposits. Depends on your area.

And as MTG has said, particularly with the newish deposit laws, you need to be able to PROVE any damage so a comprehensive inventory without a shadow of a doubt is critical. Otherwise, if the tenant disagrees you will have an uphill struggle holding onto the deposit at the end. It may be worth employing an inventory clerk but double checking it and ensuring all the i's and t's are dotted and crossed.

At least you are going into this with your eyes open.

Comment

Interesting. But I have read a thread on here saying such a clause would be unenforceable. However I could say in the inventroy that the carpets are to be in the same state as at the beginning of the tenancy and state no previous pets had been dwelling at the house prior (or words to that effect).
                  This would (surely) cover for any pet damage.

Plus the downstairs is laminate. Did I just dig another hole for myself there..!? I know people with cats and laminate and they haven't had issues with scratches etc.
                  No, laminate is good. At least if they pee on it, it can be cleaned more easily. And if it's decent quality laminate, it should be quite scratch resistant. Cats tend not to scratch flat surfaces anyway (except for carpets near doorways if they are miffed at being shut in or out of room!) - they usually go for a vertical surface, such as the back of a sofa or a door.

Re inventory - it's a pity you can't capture the smell of a property at beginning and end of a tenancy, like you can capture its visual appearance with photos and words - a kind of scratch and sniff inventory? 'Smell this, m'lud, I think you must allow it has a distinct and reek of cat wee, unlike the previous exhibit, which, you agreed, smelled delightfully of new carpet and fresh paint'.

Now there's a marketing idea!
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Just to add a cat is more likely to scratch the walls etc.. a dog is actually less of a risk.

For instance I have a dog and shes with me most of the time and for when I'm not she has a crate. Obviously each pet is different but if they are sensible there shouldnt be an issue.

Comment

Hi all,
                      I have been over some previous posts about pets and after some consideration (and teh fact that I need a tenant!) I have decided to allow cats in the porperty.

But how much increase in rent and/or bond would you suggest that I charge?
                      I currently am renting for £550 and bond of £600.

Thank you!
                      Is it a house or a flat? If flat, it's almost certainly leasehold (and possibly so even if house), so check covenants in lease too.
                      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

It's a house.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X