How to get the smell of cats' urine out of floorboards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get the smell of cats' urine out of floorboards

How to get the smell of cats out of exposed wooden floorboards; any suggestions?

Kitty Litter did not work, on a regular basis it seems.
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Drastic measure

Damned good scrubbing on your hands and knees - for the cat.

Another coat of varnish - for the floorboards.

Comment

shoot the cats?
      My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Rub the little blighter's nose in it!

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
          Damned good scrubbing on your hands and knees - for the cat.

Another coat of varnish - for the floorboards.
          Recommendations for chemical cleaner?

Comment

Neutralise it. (The smell, not the cat). Try rubbing it with surgical spirit, methylated spirit, vinegar or soda water. Alternatively Pet Odour Eliminator spray from Asda.

Then give the cat a severe talking to, until it hangs its head in shame.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Detergent, then vinegar, then more detergent. If the boards are not sealed, THEN sand and varnish.

Don't use Febreze, or anything similar - smells worse than the cat.

And shoot the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
                Detergent, then vinegar, then more detergent. If the boards are not sealed, THEN sand and varnish.

Don't use Febreze, or anything similar - smells worse than the cat.

And shoot the cat.
                At least submit it to an intensive re-education programme involving a cat flap, a garden and a small trowel.

Actually... we're all assuming it was Bel's cat that committed the offence. It may not have been!
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

If it was my cat, would I have posted it on the main forum?

Because it was a T's cat(s), it qualifies!!

May I add that this is long term ingrained cat situation; the kind that happens when T can no longer cope.

Comment

Bad Smell Solution

Please don't try water or soaps they don't work and can even make things much worse. I've been around this loop and spent hours maybe days researching the web saving my learning for this very day when I would see such a posting.
                    You need a scientific product which utilizes bacterial enzyme technology, it will literally change the molecular nature of the source of the smell.
                    I thought I was going to spend hundreds replacing carpets and floor boards until I discovered this stuff.
                    Find your own brand, but for what it's worth I used a product that goes under the name of "Simple Solution", it comes guaranteed to work, I got it in one of the big Pet shop sheds.
                    When I used it on carpets and absorbent chipboard the smell didn't disappear immediately but over a period of days things just got better and better.
                    All landlords should know about this technology and I hope this helps put the message out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
                      <snip>
                      May I add that this is long term ingrained cat situation; the kind that happens when T can no longer cope.

No laughing matter - the property will be difficult to relet until the smell is eliminated.

Is the actual floorboard area around the litter box stained and the varnish stripped or have the obnoxious juices merely eased through the floorboard joints?

Do you have a deposit to set against remedial works?

Although care is necessary I have found the strong domestic bleach can be used to soak into the areas that the offensive liquids have saturated.

The problem is that the area treated with bleach will show unless the entire floor is covered evenly and this will not be possible if the area around the litter has been damage.

I would be inclined to consider swabbing the entire area in bleach. If there is staining perhaps the cost of covering in a commercial waterproof and catpee resistant flooring will be less than the labour involved in making good the wooden floor.

Have found the "Neutradol" air fresheners are effective and have very little fragrance of their own.

My worst odour problem - an elderly woman who had died on her bed with the electric blanket left on. Found over a week later!!! Body fluids had oozed through the joints of the thermoplastic floor tiling.
                      Vic - wicked landlord
                      Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
                      Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Thanks Worldlife and CMB and others

First class.

I am not able to remedy the situation yet, but may post back in a few months when the issue has been dealt with.

Bet you can't wait

Comment

Originally posted by cmbhappy View Post
                          You need a scientific product which utilizes bacterial enzyme technology, it will literally change the molecular nature of the source of the smell.
                          Neutralises it, in other words?

Useful to have a brand name - thanks! The ASDA one does work as well, however.

Comment

Neutralises?

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                            Neutralises it, in other words?

Useful to have a brand name - thanks! The ASDA one does work as well, however.
                            Beware, if you buy any old "Neutralizers" you may well end up with a useless product, read the post and read the label

Comment

Originally posted by cmbhappy View Post
                              Please don't try water or soaps they don't work and can even make things much worse. I've been around this loop and spent hours maybe days researching the web saving my learning for this very day when I would see such a posting.
                              I thought I was going to spend hundreds replacing carpets and floor boards until I discovered this stuff.
                              Find your own brand, but for what it's worth I used a product that goes under the name of "Simple Solution", it comes guaranteed to work, I got it in one of the big Pet shop sheds.
                              When I used it on carpets and absorbent chipboard the smell didn't disappear immediately but over a period of days things just got better and better.
                              All landlords should know about this technology and I hope this helps put the message out there.

Does this product work on curry smells impregnated into walls, ceilings etc ?

The Rodent
                              A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                              W.Churchill

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X