How to get the smell of cats' urine out of floorboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
    Does this product work on curry smells impregnated into walls, ceilings etc ?

The Rodent
    Thanks for that Rodent, I was just about to have my tea.

The answer is probably not, unless ammonia was one of the ingredients of the curries...but you could always try throwing cider or smearing mint chocolate over the curry stains, since that usually takes the curry smell out of your breath. Worth a try!
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

New to the board so please be gentle on me... had a similar problem cat pee and fleas!

We borrowed a steam cleaner and went around the skirting and over the gaps in the bare floorboards. Smell was worse during the cleaning but a whole lot better when dry, and the fleas had all gone.

Comment

New tenancy- premises reek of cats' urine

Can anyone advise me please (Legal?)

I am sorry this is a long post but the information I give you the better.

We have just (July 8th) very far to a new area. We moved into a house on a STC. We really love the house and our Neighbours and intended on staying for 2 or 3 years and both the LA & LL know this. We also have a 3 year old with hopefully another one on the way soon

The problems are as follows:

The previous tenant had 5 Cats, it was disinfested as I requested this as a term of us renting (as I'm allergic to flea bites).

The major problem we are finding most unbearable is the smell It STINKS to high heaven of Cat urine. When I say stinks, the pungent odour is so strong there are only a few rooms in the house that are ok. The Stairs, The fireplace, the kitchen, (between all the cracked and missing grouting) and the bathroom under the bath where again there is missing grouting for all the tiles under the bath! The cats used under the bath as a toilet and let some parcels there for us when we moved in. It was really disgusting.

I informed the Agent of all the problems and noted them all on the inventory. They are trying to sort it out. They sent a cleaning company (3 actually) round to clean the fireplace, the stairs and under the bath. They all said it was bad but they have done the best they could do but it will probably not get rid of the smell and it hasn’t.

The property was said to have been cleaned (the carpets) but they were not as there were too many stains for a professional clean to have been done. After we moved in with all our stuff it was really too late to do anything about it as it would not have been a through job so we agreed to just let it lie. The question is: can they insist we have the carpets cleaned on exit (as in the contract) if they were not cleaned on entry. We found out after we signed but noted it in the inventory.

My real question is this: we can not stay here if the problem can not be resolved because we just can't stand it! I we are away a day and can't leave the windows open the stench we come back to is awful.

1. Can I ask for a reduction in rent until it's resolved?
        2. Can I break my contract if the problem has not been resolved within a reasonable timeframe as every day is rather unpleasant?
        3. What is a reasonable time frame??
        4. Will there be any problems from breaking the contract under these circumstances?
        5. Can I claim any compensation for the Family being put out and having to pay movers again it cost £600 before we don’t have this to pay again?
        6. What if they do everything they can and still we think the problem is still causing us unnecessary discomfort and still want to move?

We really can't bear the thought of moving again when we are just settling in but my Husband and I agreed we can't continue with things as they are.

I'm really sorry it's such a long post but I really don't know where to turn.

We are good honest reliable tenants’ so it would be better to keep us if possible as we would take care of the property as if it were our own.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to give.

Sophie

Comment

Answering your questions:-

1. You can ask, you may not get, but you certainly wont get unless you do ask.
          2. These smells MIGHT be grounds for regarding the contract as frustrated BUT you cannot carry smells into court for the judge to experience them, so if it does come to court, at the moment you would lose. Call the council's EHO in to back you up and if necessary serve repair notices on the landlords/agents.
          3. The EHO will advise on this accurately, but I suppose it ought to be corrected within 28 days as a maximum.
          4. See 2
          5. If it got to a court hearing and you claimed this, you MIGHT be succcessful in claiming moving costs IF you won. Depends on your evidence.
          6. The problem was caused by the outgoing tenants but the landlord is still liable for sorting this out and has a duty towards you - the way forward in this case is frustrating the contract, move out and claim off the landlord. But you will need to have allowed the landlord every opportunity to sort it and will need strong proof which is why I say call the EHO in.

Dont suppose you have pictures of the cat presents do you - that might help your case?

A few cans of Jeyes fluid (knock the cost off the rent) might help too!

Comment

Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post
            Answering your questions:-

1. You can ask, you may not get, but you certainly wont get unless you do ask.
            2. These smells MIGHT be grounds for regarding the contract as frustrated BUT you cannot carry smells into court for the judge to experience them, so if it does come to court, at the moment you would lose. Call the council's EHO in to back you up and if necessary serve repair notices on the landlords/agents.
            3. The EHO will advise on this accurately, but I suppose it ought to be corrected within 28 days as a maximum.
            4. See 2
            5. If it got to a court hearing and you claimed this, you MIGHT be succcessful in claiming moving costs IF you won. Depends on your evidence.
            6. The problem was caused by the outgoing tenants but the landlord is still liable for sorting this out and has a duty towards you - the way forward in this case is frustrating the contract, move out and claim off the landlord. But you will need to have allowed the landlord every opportunity to sort it and will need strong proof which is why I say call the EHO in.

Dont suppose you have pictures of the cat presents do you - that might help your case?

A few cans of Jeyes fluid (knock the cost off the rent) might help too!

Hi Davidjohnbutton (great name)

Thank you for the response.

To be honest I would hate it to go to court we just want an easy life and there to be no unnecessary fuss if possible. And above all to be fair and reasonable.

Yes I did take pictures; I take pictures of everything on moving in as a picture is worth a thousand words.

Also my neighbours and all the cleaning companies can vouch for the smell and how bad it is.

I did think of Jeyes fluid as its pretty strong stuff. But as I said, I have a 3 year old and I'm worried about using Jeyes in the house. It says on the back of the tin it's for outdoor use only and it has a serious warning on the back as it contains acid. It might also damage the tiles.

I will in the meantime give the landlord enough time to sort it out.

Thanks

Sophie

Comment

Originally posted by whatgoesaroundcomesaround View Post
              Hi Davidjohnbutton (great name)

Thank you for the response.

To be honest I would hate it to go to court we just want an easy life and there to be no unnecessary fuss if possible. And above all to be fair and reasonable.

Yes I did take pictures; I take pictures of everything on moving in as a picture is worth a thousand words.

Also my neighbours and all the cleaning companies can vouch for the smell and how bad it is.

I did think of Jeyes fluid as its pretty strong stuff. But as I said, I have a 3 year old and I'm worried about using Jeyes in the house. It says on the back of the tin it's for outdoor use only and it has a serious warning on the back as it contains acid. It might also damage the tiles.

I will in the meantime give the landlord enough time to sort it out.

Thanks

Sophie

White vinegar is supposed to be good for getting rid of this sort of smell !
              A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
              W.Churchill

Comment

What is this, the Briitish Vinegar Marketing Board website?
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

This webpage has some useful info re dealing with disrepair.
                  http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...n_private_lets

I know how badly cat pee can stink. I had a tenant whose cat peed on the coir matting fitted in the hallway, and it stank out the whole of a three bedroom maisonette, not just the hall. I had to replace the matting.

It is in the LL's interest to find a remedy, or the property will be unlettable. The only remedy that'll definitely work is to remove anything impregnated with urine - so if it's floorboards, new floorboards; if it's grout, regrout (but personally I would insist on LL retiling the bathroom/kitchen as it sounds likely the urine will have got into the subfloor), etc. On the upside, it sounds as though the urine hotspots are quite localized so it's not a Herculean task to put right.

If you do decide to move out before the end of the fixed term, you may have no choice about this ending up in court. What I don't understand is why you agreed to rent the house when it smelt intolerably bad, let alone how LL could show the property in that condition. Anyway, getting the EHO in would be a good move, and would be a helpful witness if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                    What is this, the Briitish Vinegar Marketing Board website?
                    More vinegar news is in posts #15/16 on http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...gar#post150351.
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Some great tips - thanks Jeffrey
                      Mrs Jones
                      I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Two threads on the same topic have been merged here.

Comment

Bicarbonate of Soda will sort it. Sprinkle it on and leave for a few hours or over night. It absorbs the smell completely. I also had a flat that wreaked of curry and spices and I put it everywhere and left if overnight - again did the trick. Just brush it up when youre done.

Comment

Dont shoot the cat! Cats are, by nature, very clean animals and will only defacate in the house if they are stressed, ill or dont have access to a clean litter tray or a cat flap to get outside.

Poppy 35 (mummy to 4 of the little devils!)

Comment

I bought a large house from an old lady who has a 21 year old cat - poor thing had widdled everywhere. Ripped up all the carpets and the smell had soaked into the boards. FORGET vinegar, bicarb, etc. Went through the lot. Jeyes just adds another smell to the layer. You need industrial strength urine neutraliser [not the supermarket stuff in a spray bottle] that you can buy online or at large pet stores. You have to leave it a few days to work - but thank god it does!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X