X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy New Year to good and bad Lanldords or Tenants

To all of you ........

Have a nice one

Happy new year one and all! As usual on New Years Day, I'm like a bear with a sore head today
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Happy New Year

A Happy and prosperous New Year to all our web site visitors - to this forum on LandlordZONE, to LandlordLOG.com and users of the TenantVERIFY.co.uk and other services.
      A special thanks to all those experienced landlords and professionals willing to take the time and trouble to help others by posting answers to questions posed here - you are providing a valued and worthwhile service.
      Also, many thanks to all our advertisers and sponsors who make the service possible.
      We like to think that all landlord and tenant visitors to this site are good ones.
      We have lots of plans to improve the service which the LandlordZONE site offers its visitors in 2006. If you have any thoughts or suggestions in this regard we would very much welcome your feed-back.
      Best wishes to all...
      Tom Entwistle, Editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Editor
        If you have any thoughts or suggestions in this regard we would very much welcome your feed-back
        Number one for me would a decent searching facility!!

Newbies often get flamed on here for asking the same old questions, and told to go away and search the archives; however, frequently the search tool isn't working, or it fails to find stuff you know is there, or it says 'too many hits to display' (or similar)

Happy New Year to all!

Comment

Ericthelobster has got a very valid point. There are a number of questions which come up here frequently. I can think of: Section 21 notices for fixed term and statutory periodic tenancies, service and terms of section 8 notices, action to be taken when tenants leave possessions behind after vacating a property, Service of notices, essential terms needed in AST's (Paul F's posts need scrutiny for these), and there are a number of others. To help many of us posters repeating ourselves time and time again, some texts are needed to which posters can be quickly referred. On checking the main site, few if any or the links along the top now work, and I can remember being referred to it many years ago for an excellent article covering the issue of S21 and S8 notices. Could I find it now? No way! I appreciate that Tom has to find funds to pay for this site and the advertisers on his main site are obviously the way. Thus he has to be careful not to tread on his advertisers toes, however the information on the main site does need to be made more accessible and this will no doubt be helped when it is re-vamped as it is now clearly showing its age!

While I am thinking about it, apart from the above an article covering the pitfalls of renting to HB tenants and the problems introduced by local authorities would also be of value.

However, thanks for a great site Tom, I and many of my fellow landlords have learned a great deal from it and try to return the favour by helping out when we can. I think the same can be said for a number of rental agents as well!

P.P.
          Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Useful site

Best wishes to all who use the site. As I am new to this site, having read all the posts for a few weeks, there is so much help and witty comments on here it makes life easier for those of us who are new to lettings. I have bought the Southcourt package (1 yr ago) and although most people have slated it, I found it a great start, however, I have read up on most of the things I need to know in other places as well. I am also having training this year, with ARLA, so not all new agents are useless. Brilliant informative site, I print out lots of the problems as I am sure I shall encounter some of them in my work. I look forward to reading comments from the regulars too. Am sure I will like the improvements that no doubt will be coming over the next few months.
            K

Comment

Well on the whole I believe the site is excellent, and a fantastic reference for everyone. There are a couple of areas where there could be small improvments however, in my opinion:

- Some method of having particularly informative threads easily accessed. This could be stickies, but this method was validly argued against. How about perhaps, simply a page with a list of topics, with a list of useful threads under each topic? With a link at the top?

- A general forum area, for posts such as this one - cant see any downside to having it really, would keep some of the more general discussions that happen seperate from the informative threads in their relevant sections. Any other new sections people think should be added?

- A better ratings system for threads, something where people perhaps "opt out" of voting, rather than "opting in", if you see what I mean. Basically, something that will be more available. And perhaps the facility to search threads by rating. And perhaps, even, ratings system for "posters" - as has been rightly pointed out, the "senior member" etc tags can be a bit misleading for new members, as it is done purely on number of posts.

On a side note, I have a fair bit of experience in PHP(albeit not really anything on this kind of scale), so if you ever needed any help adding some features, I would be happy to help out. Whether I would be any use or not is another matter
              Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice Needed
                by Hudson01
                I am very sorry to hear about the issue, i can add little more to what has already been said above, I am one of those lanldords spoken about in terms of about to sell up........ all that has been pointed out as to why we are all leaving is totally true, it has simply become too much hassle and with...
                16-05-2022, 20:53 PM
              • Advice Needed
                by Confused2022
                Hello!

I an trying to get as much information and advice for someone whom is very vulnerable and has many health problems.

The issue is they have lived at a property which they’ve rented now for 2 years just over, never missed a rental payment and never had any issues,...
                15-05-2022, 15:45 PM
              • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                by Hudson01
                I agree with one of the other posts, Company A should have sorted the whole job, it sounds like a 10 mins job with maybe a collar for the pipework being tightened up and then some basthroom sealant ...........you are right.......... just under a ' monkey'' (Arthur Daley speak) for what is a simple pipe...
                16-05-2022, 18:46 PM
              • Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                by Laurasplog
                We have a London flat managed by an agent (full management service).

My husband and I were abroad, and got a call from the council saying the property was leaking sewage into the flat below. We contacted our agent immediately who sent someone around the same day (Company A).

16-05-2022, 12:58 PM
                by theartfullodger
                What does your agreement (or terms & conditions sent) with this say about such queries, please? I'd start there first & then probably their complaints process (if they have one)

Is this the lettings agent on the block (of flats) management agent please?

I humbly note...
                16-05-2022, 16:15 PM
                by Laurasplog
                The pipework was found to be sound. I think Company A were there as an emergency "see if it's sewage and shut off the water if necessary". They said it was a pipework problem and a sealant problem. Company B carried out a full audit on the pipes and found it was only a sealant problem....
                16-05-2022, 14:59 PM
                by Laurasplog
                The letting agent engaged all of them. We gave them an instruction to fix whatever the problem was after the notification from the council there was a problem - we pay for a full management service.

I doubt the agency will give us money back because they've paid it out directly to the contractor,...
                16-05-2022, 14:58 PM
              • Reply to Buying a tenanted residential property
                by theartfullodger
                In November 1979 BoE base rate hit 17% under Thatcher's government. My building society was kind by only raising their rates to 15%.....

IMHO rates will continue to rise. Sorry.

What you are proposing would breach your mortgage terms and possibly result in place being repo'd....
                16-05-2022, 14:30 PM
              Working...
              X