Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant wants to leave early

I'm a newbie so hello to all!

I hope someone can provide some advice for us here. Our tenant, who moved in on 23rd September, called us yesterday to say he has to go back to his country and wishes to vacate the property on 5th December.

Our agreement provides that the tenant will remain liable to pay rent and other monies payable under the agreement until the term expires, which, if my understanding is correct would be until 23rd March. Is that right?

We worked with an agency to find the tenant, opting out of full management service. For this, they charged a full month rent. Obviously, they are not responsible for what is happening but I was wondering whether the agency might agree to waive their fee to replace the tenant? Any fellow landlords with a similar experience?

The contract is silent regarding compensation by the tenant for the landlords' costs of finding a new tenant. Can we make the tenant responsible for these?

Also, we are very worried that the tenant may "forget" to pay any rent/monies due after he has left the UK... should our property remain empty after 5th December... How to deal with expat issues?
    Having said this, the tenant has guarantor, although on a fairly low income, so I guess we could try recover our monies from her. How would we go about this?

Thanks,

Duke

1. Unless the Tenancy Agreement contained a break clause that T can use, T is bound to pay rent for full the full tenancy period. You as L have no duty to mitigate loss during that period.
    2. IF you consent to allow early surrender, whcih you do not have to do, you can make this conditional on whatever terms you and T now agree.
    3. One such condition might be that T (or, failing T, the Guarantor) has pay all your additional expenses.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for your reply.

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      1. Unless the Tenancy Agreement contained a break clause that T can use, T is bound to pay rent for full the full tenancy period. You as L have no duty to mitigate loss during that period.
      There is a break clause whereby T has the right to terminate at the end of the first 6 mths. I suppose we would have to be able to show we tried to minimise our losses at least after the first 6 month period expired then?

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      2. IF you consent to allow early surrender, whcih you do not have to do, you can make this conditional on whatever terms you and T now agree.
      We haven't decided whether to allow early surrender or not, I like the idea of further conditions that both T and I agree on. It seems reasonable to me. Another option we thought about is asking the tenant to find a new one to replace him. Is a L allowed to do a credit check on candidate T and to request reference from employer?

3. One such condition might be that T (or, failing T, the Guarantor) has pay all your additional expenses.[/QUOTE] OK, thanks v much.

Comment

1. No. T can leave at end of six moths (if using correct procedure). You cannot claim any amounts referrable to the period thereafter.
        2. Yes. All costs reasonably incurred by you in exchange for voluntarily allowing early surrender MUST be paid by T.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Referencing question
          kangoo1
          A couple wants to rent from me, she is on maternity leave and will not be returning to her previous employment, he is permanently employed and moving due to a job transfer. I have referenced him for the full rent and his guarantor has been successfully referenced.
          I am going to prepare the ast...
          22-07-2017, 17:19 PM
        • Claiming for protected deposit
          mandm
          This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
          Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
          I served the...
          21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
        • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
          JK0
          I'll leave it at that. I'm not going to get into one of JPK's interminable arguments.
          22-07-2017, 16:28 PM
        • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
          MrShed
          I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
          20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
        • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
          jpkeates
          That's simply one of the Schedule 2 exemptions which, if met, allows a process using personal data at all - all the other principles still apply in parallel (where it can be stored, be not excessive, kept up to date etc).

So, while it might be OK because it relates to a contract, there...
          22-07-2017, 15:22 PM
        • Excessive estate agent fees
          Cml241
          I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
          21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
        • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
          mariner
          A new 12 month fixed term does provide LL & T with extra security but can lead to complications for either if their resp circumstances/legislation change during the new AST.
          Personally, I would prefer if a orig AST was for a fixed 6 month term, followed by an SPT that required both LL &...
          22-07-2017, 14:09 PM
          jjlandlord
          In this case there should be no problem because:...
          22-07-2017, 12:30 PM
        • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
          jpkeates
          I'm not sure they're "lying", they're just making some assumptions.

The agent can't decide if something is "too" risky or not - there are upsides and downsides to having a new fixed term agreement, and they're right to point out, for example, that the income would be...
          22-07-2017, 12:28 PM
          jpkeates
          Unless the tenant has given consent for the data to be used in this way, probably.

There's a grey area with this kind of data, because it's obviously been obtained for a purpose (which is to facilitate the renting of a property) and that's what it's being used for.
          There's usually...
          22-07-2017, 12:23 PM
        Working...
        X