Domestic Rates on empty property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Domestic Rates on empty property

I think I know what the answer is going to be, but being very inexperienced at being a 'landlord' perhaps someone can confirm my fears.

My wife and I currently pay Business Rates and Domestic Rates on a large guesthouse that we rent on lease, and had been renting out our house that we hoped to retire to.
    Now that our tenant has moved out of our house we don't really want to let it out again just in case we need to move into it ourselves as we hope to sell the guesthouse business/lease soon; but in the meantime we have to pay the Domestic Rates on that house, which at the moment is cramping us a bit financially.

I know this is simplifying it a bit but it appears that we are having to pay £n pounds for nothing as we are not using any of the services at/on that house, so do we have to pay those rates or can we get any sort of relief on an empty property? Both the properties are within the same borough council area, to which, of course, the rates are paid.

Thanking you...............

If you are not living in the property and it IS NOT FURNISHED you should be able to stop paying council tax for a period of 6 months. Check with your local council for full details.
    Mrs Jones
    I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Hi,

I have had on a few occassions 6months council tax free on unfurnished and then 12months at 50%, as Mrs Jones says speak to local council.

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by jax2503 View Post
        Hi,

I have had on a few occassions 6months council tax free on unfurnished and then 12months at 50%, as Mrs Jones says speak to local council.

Jax
        That's interesting because my local council are charging me the full whack after 6 months.

Can you point me to any information I could use to get a refund off them?

Comment

If a property is unoccupied and substantially unfurnished, a Class C exemption will apply from the date the property became empty for 6 months (this exemption is per property and therefore the exemption may have started before a tenancy ends therefore the landlord may not get the full 6 months, only the balance remaining after he becomes liable).

The charge after the 6 month period has expired will depend on the council as they can set their own long term empty charge since 2004 and this can vary from 50% to 100% of the full charge.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X