Housing act 88?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Housing act 88?

I have noticed that people have often referred to the housing act of 88 on here when stating about the section 8. Whay 88, why not the latest housing act?

Here is a link to the Housing Act 1988

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988..._19880050_en_1

You will notice Section 8 deals with "Notice of proceedings for possession".

You will see that Chapter II deals with Assured Shorthold Tenancies.

Section 21 deals with the "Recovery of possession on expiry or termination of assured shorthold tenancy."

There are many threads on this forum how to serve valid notices under both Section 8 and Section 21.

Each Housing Act will normally deal with a new or different aspect of Housing Law or perhaps amend earlier Housing Acts.

Very rarely there will be a consolidating Act bringing together old Housing Acts . Then sections that have been deleted or amended are brought up to date within the framework of a new Act.
    Vic - wicked landlord
    Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
    Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by Worldlife View Post
      Here is a link to the Housing Act 1988

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988..._19880050_en_1

You will notice Section 8 deals with "Notice of proceedings for possession".

You will see that Chapter II deals with Assured Shorthold Tenancies.

Section 21 deals with the "Recovery of possession on expiry or termination of assured shorthold tenancy."

There are many threads on this forum how to serve valid notices under both Section 8 and Section 21.

Each Housing Act will normally deal with a new or different aspect of Housing Law or perhaps amend earlier Housing Acts.

Very rarely there will be a consolidating Act bringing together old Housing Acts . Then sections that have been deleted or amended are brought up to date within the framework of a new Act.

Thanks Vic but do you know why act 88 is used and not 96 or a later one?

Comment

Originally posted by rich hand View Post
        Thanks Vic but do you know why act 88 is used and not 96 or a later one?
        Simply because the Housing Act 1988 is still the principal Act re AST/SAT. Subsequent ones merely amended it.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X