Tenant question - date to pay rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant question - date to pay rent

My lease runs from the 11th of the month - as in, this is the date on which I was given keys, and this is the date of the commencement of the lease on the AST. Rent is paid monthly. When I moved in, I paid a full month's rent (£1300) on the 11th. towards the end of the month, the landlord contacted me, and asked me if it would be possible to pay the rent a little bit early, as her mortgage comes out on the 1st of the month. To oblige her, I paid £1300 on the 1st of the month - thus putting myself 11 days in advance with the rent. This has now become a regular occurrence; I am paid on the 31st, so it is difficult to ensure that the rent definitely arrives on the 1st. She recently asked me to set up a standing order to pay the rent on the 1st of each month; I said that I would prefer to make manual payments, if early payments were to be made, to avoid the possibility that I am charged a penalty by my bank if, as happened a couple of times recently, pay has not arrived promptly on the 31st. She is now starting to get difficult about this. Am I within my rights to point out that I have only been doing this to oblige her, that it is purely a gesture of goodwill, and that I reserve the right to make rent payments on the 11th as per the contract?

In my opinion, if a tenancy began on the 11th, I would remind the tenants that the cleared funds should arrive in my account on the 11th. Therefore the money should leave the tenants' account no later than the 7th.

Ignore the landlord's ramblings about mortgage payments on the 1st.

Comment

I don't think ignoring her would help, its always better to talk about it. Point out that you have been obliging her, and that you are happy to continue to do this but not at the cost of running up bank charges yourself. Perhaps setting up a standing order for a couple of days into the month might be the way to go.

You're paying the rent early; if she wanted it paid on a specific date she should have made it a condition of the tenancy.
      My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Thanks, Poppy. Funds transferred from my bank arrive with the landlord's bank within two hours because of the new Faster Payments BACS thing, so even if I pay it on the afternoon of the 31st, it's there well before the first starts. She's complaining that if it's not there on the 1st she gets charged by her bank, but as far as I can see this really isn't my problem.

Is there anything I can do if the landlord continues to hassle me about this? Obviously, an email or letter reminding her that I am doing it as a gesture of goodwill should be enough, but if it isn't, do I have any 'official' recourse?

Comment

Hi Oaktree. Thanks for your reply. I don't want to ignore her, obviously, but I also don't want to be harangued about something that I am doing simply to help her out. I have said to her that I will, wherever possible, try to get it to her by the first, but that I can't guarantee this. I'm slightly annoyed that she is preying on my good will, and wasn't upfront about this at the start of the tenancy. She's an 'amateur' landlord, and very pleasant, but it's annoying.

Comment

Landlord's bank charges - not tenant's problem

OK. If ignoring an amateur landlord is not your style, I suggest that you remind her that you are paying rent early as a gesture of goodwill and that if she continues to fuss then you will revert to the conditions of the tenancy agreement that you both signed and pay on the 11th.

Your fast BACS payment is interesting. Which bank is that please?

Comment

The account I use for fast payments is a bog standard HSBC one. With that, if I send a payment, it will arrive with Barclays and Alliance and Leicester (I know these ones for sure) within a couple of hours. Not all banks have introduced this yet - my A&L account will receive fast payments, but cannot yet make them.

More info here - http://www.apacs.org.uk/payments_ind...s_service.html - if you're interested.

Comment

And thank you, Poppy, for your response. That is what I thought, but I wanted another opinion on it to be sure I wasn't going to cause myself further upset. I'm very grateful.

Comment

Faster payment service

I pay all my clients by bacs via hsbc internet banking and FPS goes to Barclays, Natwest, Lloyds, Halifax within 2 hours, most others still take 3 days but believe they are looking for all banks to do this.

I love it - no more moaning if theres a bank holiday as payment is so quick!

Comment

Definitely also goes to A&L within two hours, because these are the two of my accounts I most often shuffle money between. Ludicrous that A&L can't do outbound fast payments, even though they can receive them...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X