Chances of successfully suing a local authority?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chances of successfully suing a local authority?

We had a tenant on this new LHA lark that went 8 weeks in arrears and the council started paying her money to us. Upon receiving a copy of the eviction order from us, the council kindly moved her to a new property. However, the dimwits returned payment of her LHA to her about 10 days before she actually left. Funnily enough she didn't forward the money on to us! When I asked them why they did it they admitted they'd made an error but pretty much stated it was tough luck!

Has anyone had a similar experiance with a successful outcome? Has anyone ever sued an LA successfully over a Housing Benefit issue?

Local Authority are never bound by the Tenancy Agreement.
    For what do you envisage suing them? Yes, I know, the money; but on what legal basis (cause of action)?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

How about neglect of some sort? They'd previously agreed to pay LHA directly to us, and had been doing so. Someone messed up and started paying it back to the T again. If we screwed up like that we'd have to put it right, so why not them?

Comment

You might want to put in a formal complaint and see if it helps. Or you could contact the Local Government Ombudsman.

Comment

I've heard that if a T is in 8 weeks arrears, the next payment is payed to LL on request. It then reverts back to the T, stupid I know, but apparently that is what most LA are doing.

If you ask me its the most stupidest thing that central government has done to pay T direct.

This Christmas will def be a testing time, rent or Turkey ???

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X