No heating- L's duty under s.11; effect on rent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bel View Post
    Note down all the harrassments and shortcomings; dates and times in case it all kicks off in court. Amass evidence.

Was your agreement an Assured Shorthold tenancy (AST) and did he protect the deposit and inform you with the correct notice with 14 days?

I don't think he will get away with it, so you must hold your nerve.

Try Shelter helpline or Citizens Advice for moral support

I have recorded conversations with him and also noted down times, dates and what was said.

IMHO he and his partner (who is actually the LL according to the tenancy agreement but wont speak to me) are both a pair of con artists. They have taken 2 previous tenants to court before and seem to make a living off of other peoples money

Even though i have moved out should i contact the police to make them aware of what went on so it backs up my evidence in court?

Comment

yeah i thought that but at least if its on record it may be used against him if he does this to any further tenants.

I also went to the police about his partner trying to access my bank account, the have that on record to.

I just dont understand why LL's feel like they are above the law and can do/act as they please

Comment

No heating - reduction of rent?

I'm a tenant and on day 2 of having no heat, I have 4 storage heaters in my flat all of which stopped working on Monday night, I reported it to the agent and subsequently the landlord yesterday, he is trying to give me a day and has said "maybe thursday" for an engineer to repair the heating.

It is 9 or 10 degrees at best in there at the moment so very cold, am I entitled to a reduction in rent for the time I am having to put up with this extreme cold?

I've bought my own oil filled radiator and am running that but it just about takes the edge off in one room if I shut the door it cant warm the whole place, thats probably costing me a fortune to run as well.

Comment

ok I found some answers and reading it he has to get it fixed by law etc, and looking at the temperature according to environmental health I am in the lower end which they list as bad (10 degrees)

Question I now have is how quickly does he have to get it fixed, I cant see anything which answers that, have had my 2nd freezing night in the flat and I already feel like I have a cold today because of it.

So far he has said he is waiting on a call back from his electrician and it "may be thursday" and that was only after going back to him as he said early next week originally and tbh I was considering moving out temporarily until its fixed as its just so cold in there (60's maisonette, single glazing, no loft insulation at all etc)

Comment

Morning all.

Well i spoke with my ex-LL and he said the entire flat needs redecorating and the walls need plastering/sanding? as the damp/mould was my own fault... and they are losing money through not renting it out at the moment?

1. They havent even advertised it to rent

2. I fail to see how or why i would cause damp/mould on purpose

3. is redecorating the LL resonsability?

4. He has done this with previous tenants just so he can get them to pay for it all to be newly decorated when another person rents it out.

Comment

LL not providing proper heating

Hello there everyone,

I have the following issue: I'm renting a studio. My rent includes all bills and council tax. I should've known there was a catch, before renting it though.... My heating is on and off the whole day. I was given 2 explanations for this: The builder claims that the boiler simply can't work 24/7 and it needs to rest. The LL says that because there's nobody in the flats (the building has 5 flats, all of which are owned by this guy, and the boiler is 1 for all the flats), then there's no point for the heating to be on! Which basically means that the LL is economizing! Now, my problem is that I am cold! I wake up in the morning, freezing. And it is not pleasant! During the night, it goes on and off again.

I highly doubt that those 2 explanations I was given are valid. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I know, I have the legal right to be provided with heating 24/7. And it's ME who should be regulating the heating, and not the LL because he decides that there's noone in the flat during the day! I am in my flat during the day. so I have to be cold because he assumes that all 5 of the flats are empty!?

Please let me know how I can proceed with this issue. At the end of the day, I am paying money for this studio, and it's not cheap at all. So I expect to be provided with proper heating. And if not, maybe my rent should be lowered accordingly?

I would appreciate some advice.

Thank you.

Comment

Reasonable reduction a tenant can claim for no heating.

Hello all.

I've read a lot of threads on this forum about being without heating but none that help me specifically. I don't think.

We have been without heating for 3 weeks now and to be honest I can't see it being fixed for at least 2 more as the boiler needs replaced. So I expect to be without heating for 5 weeks minimum.

Now it hasn't been exceptionally cold, but we would have had the heating on if it was available. It has been uncomfortable and especially difficult to dry clothes as we live in a flat with no tumble dryer. We do have hot water via the immersion heater, although I suspect this will be expensive to run.

The delay has been due to poor response form the LL (10 days before an engineer visited) and indecision regarding who the LL is going to get to replace the system.

I'm pretty unhappy with the situation and feel I should be able to claim a rent rebate.

Given the above circumstances what sort of percentage rebate do you think it would be reasonable for me to ask for? I was thinking 50%??

Comment

Originally posted by Pooza View Post
                  Hello all.

I've read a lot of threads on this forum about being without heating but none that help me specifically. I don't think.

We have been without heating for 3 weeks now and to be honest I can't see it being fixed for at least 2 more as the boiler needs replaced. So I expect to be without heating for 5 weeks minimum.

Now it hasn't been exceptionally cold, but we would have had the heating on if it was available. It has been uncomfortable and especially difficult to dry clothes as we live in a flat with no tumble dryer. We do have hot water via the immersion heater, although I suspect this will be expensive to run.

The delay has been due to poor response form the LL (10 days before an engineer visited) and indecision regarding who the LL is going to get to replace the system.

I'm pretty unhappy with the situation and feel I should be able to claim a rent rebate.

Given the above circumstances what sort of percentage rebate do you think it would be reasonable for me to ask for? I was thinking 50%??
                  Have you actually explained to your LL the problems this is causing?

Anyway, here are some practical suggestions.

Your immersion heater will actually be a relatively efficient way of heating water, as long as you use it within a few hours of it being heated and/or the tank is well-lagged. I would use it, but keep an eye on your meter readings and if the cost seems a lot higher than your normal means of heating water (presumably gas?) then ask the LL to compensate you for the extra cost.

As far as compensation for the lack of heating is concerned, you could sue him, but if he can prove he has done what he reasonably can to effect the repair, you won't get very far.

You would be better asking him to provide you with some emergency space heating (e.g. convector heaters), or buying some yourself with his permission and deducting cost from the rent.

I would be amazed if you got a 50% rebate for 5 weeks without heating; especially as you do actually have hot water.
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks for the advice Mind The Gap.

I've actually got a monitor that tells me exactly how much extra energy is used when I switch on the immersion, so I can use that and try and extrapolate that out over 5 weeks.

I have explained the problem to the LL and their casual 'its not that cold' attitude to the problem is, above all, why I think I should make a stand. I think money is the only way of making a point to some LLs.

Comment

If your LL is experienced and reasonable:

If you make your requests in a reasonable, well thought out manner the LL is more likely to respond favourably, as he may want to keep a nice tenant happy.

Whereas if your approach is confrontational, he may not want to encourage you to stay and will look at maximising the short term gain i.e. by giving no compensation and by suiting himself regarding getting the work done at his own pace.
                      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Originally posted by Pooza View Post
                        Thanks for the advice Mind The Gap.

I've actually got a monitor that tells me exactly how much extra energy is used when I switch on the immersion, so I can use that and try and extrapolate that out over 5 weeks.

I have explained the problem to the LL and their casual 'its not that cold' attitude to the problem is, above all, why I think I should make a stand. I think money is the only way of making a point to some LLs.

Your LL's response is not helpful - it's interesting how some people cannot imagine what it feels like to be cold, when their own house is nice and warm!

Nonetheless your LL is stautorily obliged to provide you with the means to heat water and space. He has done the former; you need some additional heaters for when it gets chilly in the morningss and evenings.

I agree with Bel that in this sitation, being confrontational and threatening to sue him will probably be counterproductive and destructive of good will on both sides.

Write the letter explainig that it is cold and how that affects you; say you will buy some convector heaters unless he has any you can use; say that you propose to deduct the cost of those, and the extra electricity from the rent until he is able to reimburse you for them; ask what arrangements have been made for the replacement of the boiler. Keep it professional and cool.

Save your rage for when they start pulling out the old boiler and fitting the new one...
                        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks all, the bolier is actually being replaced tomorrow.

Only 4 1/2 weeks, here's hoping they're not cowboys.

Comment

Glad to hear that, and thanks for the update. Look on the bright side. Most new boilers these days are much more efficient than old ones, so you should be able to make a saving on your energy bills

Enjoy the warmth.

Comment

Housing Assoc. (L) does not allow T to control heating

I am about to move in to a local housing association house which has under floor heating as part of the secured tenancy agreement i have been informed i will be not allowed to adjust the temperature of the heating but will have to contact them to come out to adjust it. Are they allowed to do such a thing. Surely as a Tennant paying for my own heating bills direct to supplier i should be allowed to control my own heating.

Any help would be greatly received.

Comment

Originally posted by barranak View Post
                                I am about to move in to a local housing association house which has under floor heating as part of the secured tenancy agreement i have been informed i will be not allowed to adjust the temperature of the heating but will have to contact them to come out to adjust it. Are they allowed to do such a thing. Surely as a Tennant paying for my own heating bills direct to supplier i should be allowed to control my own heating.

Any help would be greatly received.
                                I doubt that it will be the case that the heating is always supplied at the same level, if that's what you're worried about. There is probably a thermostat somewhere which responds to a drop or rise in external temperature and adjusts the heat level in the properties accordingly. Depending on how energy efficient the houses are, you may not need to vary the setting much at all.

You may need to get them out once or twice until you hit on the correct setting for your needs, but I don't think it will be a huge problem. A relative of mine lives in a HA flat with the same system and it is not a problem.

Just out of interest, what is the energy efficiency rating of the house? (It will be the first % you are given on the EPC).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X