Gas meter key: provide one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a bit confused because I thought you were equating supplying a gas meter key with shutting off the gas in the event of a leak. I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post.

Comment

No big deal, a bit of confusion because we are posting at the same time perhaps

Maybe there is some variation in meter boxes. Mine, which is outside my house, also has the shut off valve inside. If I were renting property with a similar box I would provide a key and document the fact that I had done so, if the tenant loses it then I would consider that their responsibility.
      I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

I think all tenants who are paying bills (gas or electric) are entitled to keys to whatever cupboard houses their meter(s). I always supply a key to the meter cupboard. In these days of only one or two true readings being taken each year, the tenant should be able to read the meter and correct any estimated reading before paying the bill.

Levying a charge for keys not returned is a good idea though! Must write that into the next AST....
        Mrs Jones
        I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Jones View Post
          I think all tenants who are paying bills (gas or electric) are entitled to keys to whatever cupboard houses their meter(s). ....
          Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
          If I were renting property with a similar box I would provide a key and document the fact that I had done so, if the tenant loses it then I would consider that their responsibility.....
          Yes they are entitled to a key; but if you say "you need to buy your own triangle key", is that not good enough?
          All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

I photo copy the bunch of keys with the gas box key on it which the tenant signs before giving them out to insure i get the same ones back. Doesnt help if they get extra copies of the doors keys though.

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
              I photo copy the bunch of keys with the gas box key on it which the tenant signs before giving them out to insure i get the same ones back. Doesnt help if they get extra copies of the doors keys though.
              A good idea, but I'm interested to know if you think that a key needs to be provided in the first place or telling the tenant to obtain their own is good enough. Lets assume that the gas shut-off valve is within the box.

Poppy does not feel the need to provide one, others seem to think it might be a good idea, Mars Mug is very pro-key.

A tenant provides their own loo paper to use the loo, why can't they provide their own key to read the meter?

I am obsessing this because a key was not provided with the last property I dealt with and the T seemed a bit miffed that they were asked to provide their own.

Comment

I really don’t care who provides the key, but from a safety point of view I personally would want one there even if it’s chained to the box (it isn’t really a key after all), since they cost less than £1 I would personally provide one (chained to the box).

Here’s a scenario for people who never even consider the box key, in all the places I have stayed it’s never been mentioned;

It’s the middle of winter and the tenant arrives home to a strong smell of gas, they do what they can to vent the place and phone Transco (or whatever they are called). They look for the box key to turn the gas off and there isn’t one, they leave the building and wait or go in search of a neighbour with a key. The central heating kicks in and the place goes bang. Perhaps it’s considered an unfortunate accident, the tenant isn’t to blame, neither is the landlord, but the house is in bits and it could have been avoided for the sake of a key that costs a pound or two at most. Doesn’t really compare to providing toilet roll.

Comment

I am definitely with Mars Mug on this. On another thread there are various discussions regarding what fancy things to provide to attract tenants in these difficult times, and here we are arguing over whether a key costing peanuts should be provided!!! Doesn't make sense to me.
                  Mrs Jones
                  I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

I agree. You can buy one for 80p down my way and a lot of gas suppliers post them out for free if you ask.

If the box is in the property or surcure area just put a bit of string on it and tie it to the hinge with it hanging outside the box and then put on the inventory.

Job done

Comment

I tried to look up the legal requirements yesterday; it is a requirement that a key is supplied with the box on installation. A lot of landlord/agent sites quote the requirement “The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998” which includes a statement about the key e.g. http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-fac...ions-1998.html

I personally would supply a key on simple safety grounds, but I wonder if a landlord would actually be found liable if a key was not provided?

Regardless of liability the keys cost as little as 40p and I would not want to think that I had played a part in someone’s death or injury because I had not provided a key to allow the safety valve to be turned off. If there was an incident I don’t see how it could be in any way positive for the landlord, people might die, the building and neighbouring buildings may be badly damaged, you could end up in court.

By a bulk bag of keys, chain one to the box, add it to the inventory, make sure it’s there and documented. Or save yourself 40p per let and take a chance.

Comment

I am definitely with Mars Mug on this. On another thread there are various discussions regarding what fancy things to provide to attract tenants in these difficult times, and here we are arguing over whether a key costing peanuts should be provided!!! Doesn't make sense to me.

Its not the cost that is the issue here , in particular I am trying to establish the principle of duty of care regarding provision of a key, or whether by my saying 'buy your own key' in my particular situation I am covered this one time when a key was not available to give them.

Mars Mug:

although I do agree to have a key at check-in is the ideal to which I will strive forever more. But I cannot turn back the clock.

Usually there are keys as part of the property so I have never given this thought until this time.

Its interesting that the letlink link does not suggest that a LL should make sure the key is provided as one of their suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
                          Its interesting that the letlink link does not suggest that a LL should make sure the key is provided as one of their suggestions.
                          I agree, I didn't find anywhere that did, they all quoted the Act and I didn't find that completely clear on the responibilities after 'installation' e.g. on selling the property or letting out. Many people who sell their house do not necessarily provide a key, are they responsible? Though I think there's a difference though betwen selling and letting where you are providing a service.

Comment

A strong argument, I agree.
                            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X