Gas meter key: provide one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas meter key: provide one?

Universal gas meter key for access to cupboard: landlords; do you normally provide this with your property or does the tenant get their own?
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

No idea. But I do recall the electricity board being very unhappy when a T had no access to the meter.

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
      No idea. But I do recall the electricity board being very unhappy when a T had no access to the meter.
      Because they didnt have a key to the cupboard or it was in another part of a building they couldnt reach?

Comment

We've supplied so many over the years that we never got back that we ended up writing it into the agreement that we would charge £10 for a replacement; that solved the problem fairly quickly.

The problem is they can use them on any property so just didn't bother handing them in. They do now.
        My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
          Universal gas meter key for access to cupboard: landlords; do you normally provide this with your property or does the tenant get their own?
          If the stop tap is next to the meter then it might be a good idea to provide one. Add it to the inventory so that when the place blows up you can say you provided access to the stop tap (assuming you're not inspecting the place when it blows).
          I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
            Because they didnt have a key to the cupboard or it was in another part of a building they couldnt reach?
            The latter, but I don't see why it would make much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
              The latter, but I don't see why it would make much difference.
              He can obtain his own universal key to the cupboard, (perhaps you were meaning a securely locked cupboard which he cannot get a key to, which would not make much difference)

Any other landlords always provide a meter key? or not bothered?

Comment

If you are talking about the yellow plastic triangle in a circle key (for want of a better description) I don't provide them to tenants.

Two flathead screwdrivers used in tandem do the trick.

Some utility companies will post one key to their customers free of charge.

Comment

If there is a gas leak, and the tenant is unable to turn off the gas, who is responsible?

Comment

Transco 0800 111 999

STOP PRESS! Apparently Transco changed their name on 10 October 2005. They are now called National Grid Gas plc.

Comment

I don’t think Transco are responsible at all, though they may well be people to call in an emergency.

With gas being the dangerous thing it is I would not want to be seen to put any obstacles in a tenants way if they need to turn it off, so providing a key and adding this to the inventory is the way I would go. In the event of a gas leak there are a few actions to take;

Gas - If you smell gas.....

• Open the doors and windows to get rid of the gas.
                      • Check to see if the gas has been left on unlit or if a pilot light has gone out. If so, please turn the appliance off.
                      • If this is not the case, there is probably a gas escape. Turn the gas supply off at the meter and phone the TRANSCO Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999
                      • Don't turn any electrical switches on or off (this includes doorbells). You can however use the telephone to call the gas emergency service - TRANSCO on the above number.
                      • Don't smoke, use matches or naked flames.

Comment

I thought we were originally talking about the gas meter key.

Comment

Do you mean a key as in a payment method? I am talking about the key to the box that houses the gas meter.

Comment

No one is talking about the pre-payment key.

The meter has no effect on the gas supply. It merely records the usage.

Are you confusing accessing the gas meter with shutting off the gas supply? Two totally different things.

Comment

You threw me by saying “I thought we were originally talking about the gas meter key” which is what I was talking about. So what did you mean by that comment?

Very often the enclosure that holds the meter also covers the shut off valve.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X