Accident caused plasterboard to come down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
    Hmm! "Lapham" looks like a corruption of the term "lath and" to me" Are we talking about what I would describe as lath and plaster?

P.P.
    PP : Read posts 7,8 and 10!!!

Leave a comment:

• P.Pilcher
    replied
    Hmm! "Lapham" looks like a corruption of the term "lath and" to me" Are we talking about what I would describe as lath and plaster?

P.P.

Leave a comment:

• Izzycam
    replied
    House insured direct by me, but in a block portfolio policy (number of different houses)... Thanks for the advice so far.

Leave a comment:

• Sorrel
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Is lapham plaster the same thing as lath and plaster (plaster applied to thin strips of wood, usually found in pre 1900 houses and usually held together with bits of horsehair, anthrax spores, etc?)
    Sorry yeah, thats what my ole' granda used to call it (I will excuse you for not picking up on that). You would be surprised the amount of properties that still have that kind of roofing...surprisingly enough this property was in the same area as yours up here

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
    One of my tenants has just said that a part of the bathroom ceiling has come down on her child. (plasterbord). It seems a leak has caused this.
    The child is ok (thankfully).
    I was just wondering would I be covered by my landlord insurance if they did decide to sue.
    Thanks
    Is the property:
    a. a house (insured direct by you, as owner); or
    b. a flat/maisonette (insured on a Block of Flats policy)?

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Sorrel View Post
    I have one much like this recently. Collapsed ceiling was not covered by insurance due to age and design but i believe it was a lapham plaster design. If its not that then insurance will probably cover
    Is lapham plaster the same thing as lath and plaster (plaster applied to thin strips of wood, usually found in pre 1900 houses and usually held together with bits of horsehair, anthrax spores, etc?)

Leave a comment:

• Sorrel
    replied
    I have one much like this recently. Collapsed ceiling was not covered by insurance due to age and design but i believe it was a lapham plaster design. If its not that then insurance will probably cover

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by oaktree View Post
    You beat me to it! if the landlord had been aware of the leak and had done nothing about it then the insurers could plead ngligence on the landlords part and fail to support him but as Telometer says, what can the tenant sue him for?
    Disintegrating Downward Plasterboard Syndrome. Haven't you heard of it? It can cause trauma for months afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• oaktree
    replied
    You beat me to it! if the landlord had been aware of the leak and had done nothing about it then the insurers could plead ngligence on the landlords part and fail to support him but as Telometer says, what can the tenant sue him for?

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by johnjw View Post
    I would think that this risk should certainly be covered by your landlord insurance. The public liability provision should apply, or possibly there is something more specific in your particular policy.
    Would the policy still pay out if the leak - and thus the damage/injury - was caused by the landlord's failure to effect repairs/maintenance? I'm not saying it was in this case, but don't policies generally exclude negligence in this context?

Leave a comment:

• Telometer
    replied
    There's probably nothing really for them to sue over: what is their actual loss? (This isn't the States, fortunately...)

But yes, it would be covered - provided you have that sort of insurance cover; best read your policy document.

Leave a comment:

• johnjw
    replied
    Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
    One of my tenants has just said that a part of the bathroom ceiling has come down on her child. (plasterbord). It seems a leak has caused this.
    I was just wondering would I be covered by my landlord insurance if they did decide to sue.
    Thanks
    I would think that this risk should certainly be covered by your landlord insurance. The public liability provision should apply, or possibly there is something more specific in your particular policy.

Leave a comment:

• Izzycam
    started a topic Accident caused plasterboard to come down.

Accident caused plasterboard to come down.

Thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X