L has still not completed repairs, 2.5 months into letting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L has still not completed repairs, 2.5 months into letting

I am sharing a house with two friends on a AST and we are having problems with the LL.

When we all agreed to move into the house there was still work that needed to be done to the house, we moved in but we did not agree with the LL on when the work would be finished by (silly i know) that was two months ago and half of the work is still to be done, the LL kept on making excuses that his workers are ill and saying they would be round the next day.

At the end of last month we made a list of work that still needed to be done and the LL said it would only take a couple of days work to do the stuff on the list, now he has said the workers will not be round again as the work has been done (NO ITS NOT) he will not give us a reduced rent because of the ongoing work and one of my friends is wanting to leave, can anyone help?

Can you give us a quick rundown of what work needs doing? The types of problems may affect the answers given.
    I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

at the start the heating was not all connected but now all but one radiators are working, one of the showers is not working properly (the water barley comes out of it), there are no extractors in the bathrooms or kitchen, two of the rooms can't be used as the LL workers have got junk in them, there is rubble and rubbish in the garden from the workers and the LL has a van parked on the front garden (i think untaxed, there is no carpet on the stairs, half the lights in the livingroom are not connected and the runner on the patio door is broken so it is hard to open the door.
      The AST was for a furnished house so the LL provided a fridge but it has no shelves for it.

thats what i can remember off the top of my head.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Referencing question
        kangoo1
        A couple wants to rent from me, she is on maternity leave and will not be returning to her previous employment, he is permanently employed and moving due to a job transfer. I have referenced him for the full rent and his guarantor has been successfully referenced.
        I am going to prepare the ast...
        22-07-2017, 17:19 PM
      • Claiming for protected deposit
        mandm
        This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
        Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
        I served the...
        21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
      • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
        JK0
        I'll leave it at that. I'm not going to get into one of JPK's interminable arguments.
        22-07-2017, 16:28 PM
      • Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
        MrShed
        I've just posted something on GDPR and then wondered whether it had been discussed on here before - a quick search implies its never been mentioned.

I thought I would raise a topic to discuss it and the implications on landlords.In effect this is a replacement of the Data Protection Act...
        20-07-2017, 15:01 PM
      • Reply to Discussion - GDPR and implications on landlords
        jpkeates
        That's simply one of the Schedule 2 exemptions which, if met, allows a process using personal data at all - all the other principles still apply in parallel (where it can be stored, be not excessive, kept up to date etc).

So, while it might be OK because it relates to a contract, there...
        22-07-2017, 15:22 PM
      • Excessive estate agent fees
        Cml241
        I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
        21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
      • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
        mariner
        A new 12 month fixed term does provide LL & T with extra security but can lead to complications for either if their resp circumstances/legislation change during the new AST.
        Personally, I would prefer if a orig AST was for a fixed 6 month term, followed by an SPT that required both LL &...
        22-07-2017, 14:09 PM
        jjlandlord
        In this case there should be no problem because:...
        22-07-2017, 12:30 PM
      • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
        jpkeates
        I'm not sure they're "lying", they're just making some assumptions.

The agent can't decide if something is "too" risky or not - there are upsides and downsides to having a new fixed term agreement, and they're right to point out, for example, that the income would be...
        22-07-2017, 12:28 PM
        jpkeates
        Unless the tenant has given consent for the data to be used in this way, probably.

There's a grey area with this kind of data, because it's obviously been obtained for a purpose (which is to facilitate the renting of a property) and that's what it's being used for.
        There's usually...
        22-07-2017, 12:23 PM
      Working...
      X