Corgi gas man

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Corgi gas man

    Hi everybody

    I've recently bought a house, it came with a tenant who's not paying the full rent. So, I've given him notice and he's moving out at the end of January.

    I'm registered with before they find a tenant for me they want to see my 'corgi gas certificate' I don't have one.

    Does anyone know how I get one, or know of a Corgi gas man in Manchester that would come and do the inspection and issue one?

    Do you know what I should expect to pay for this?

    Hope to hear from you, thanks for reading, kind regards

  • #2
    Phone around, you need a corgi registered gas fitter to do a gas safety check and issue the necessary certificate. Cost seems to be between £50 and £70 annually.


    • #3
      OK Officer, there's another one over here

      OK Alex,

      So you've been renting houses since February 2005 (probably earlier) and you've never heard of a gas safety cert?



      • #4
        It's something my brother used to take care of and he's working offshore at the moment.

        But many thanks for your help anyway Raggy ;-)



        • #5
          I bought my first rental property complete with tenant. She had been living there as a tenant for five years at the time. When I viewed the property she moaned about the damp, but there was none and I couldn't smell any. The property was however heated by two gas fires, one in a bedroom and one in the living room: "Have you had your gas fires inspected recently?"
          "What's that - I've never had a man come around to check them."

          My then newly appointed and tamed Corgi registered engineer was soon on the job. He condemmed the bedroom fire and disconnected it as it was so old and found a huge gas leak in the living room fire. Leak fixed, fire certified and no more reports from tenant about damp!

          Although they cost an arm and a leg, I never moan about having to have Corgi inspections done!

          Last edited by P.Pilcher; 21-12-2005, 21:17 PM. Reason: typos
          Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.


          • #6
            look on the corgi website- you can do a search for a local registered person.


            • #7
              Corgi man

              Sorry Alex, will try to be more helpful in future :-)

              Best way to find a Corgi man is word of mouth. If your brother has used one before then either ask your brother or look at the cert that should be in the rented property that he used to look after for you.

              Since the Uni are asking for it, why not ask them if they have a recommended Corgi man?

              If no luck, either use the Corgi website or yellow pages and ring around for prices.

              We pay £35 for a cert or £59 for cert & service (both plus VAT)


              • #8
                Originally posted by Raggy
                Best way to find a Corgi man is word of mouth. If your brother has used one before then either ask your brother or look at the cert that should be in the rented property that he used to look after for you
                Always a good plan... in theory, all Corgis are equal but in practice the gas regs are often open to a degree of interpretation. An installation which one Corgi may say is perfectly OK another one will say is not, resulting in a failed inspection, with all the associated hassle.

                Plus, as with all tradesmen, it's always good to develop a relationship; so that eg when in the future you need a test doing at short notice because you've forgotten about it, as a 'regular' you're more likely to get squeezed in that if you're a complete unknown.


                • #9

                  Well, thanks to the Corgi website I eventually got through to a Corgi chap that squeezed me into his schedule and came this evening and checked everything, certificate is issued. (£70)


                  He was a nice chap and I've got a great Calender program on my Apple Mac that will remind me via email 2 weeks before it is needed next year too, so I feel better about everything.

                  Thanks ever so much for your help everyone.

                  Have a lovely Xmas, kind regards
                  Alex - Manchester


                  • #10
                    Really Good Article on GSC

                    I have just been sent today a really good article about gaining access to tenanted premises where the tenant doesn't want to co-operate in letting a GORGI engineer (or anybody else!) in to carry out the test.

                    It's writeen by Peter Marcus in the 9 December edition of the Solicitor's Journal and when I have had time to read it I will try and post a precis on this thread, probably after Christmas.

                    You can of course read the article for yourself I think by going to their website.
                    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


                    Latest Activity


                    • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                      Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

                      Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

                      Q3 – What date did current...
                      26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
                    • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                      'The Tenant' (all 3), can vacate at end of fixed term with no Notice. If remainers sign a new AST to commence after fixed termpref naming new joint, this sould replace original AST. Deed of Surrender is 'belt & brace'.

                      If incomer signs a Deed of Assignment they only inherit the term...
                      28-07-2017, 00:28 AM
                    • Lease extension
                      Hi All, I have approached the freeholder on an informal basis to extend the lease of a flat I own as a rental. He has come up with reasonable price for the premium to extend to 125 years from now but wants to double the ground rent every 25 years (from £80 to £160 p/a initially). My solicitor has...
                      27-07-2017, 23:59 PM
                    • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                      I think the problem may be that they are not really 'moving out'. There is a long thread elsewhere on the forum that may be of interest. Although unresolved, it suggests that if some of them don't move out then an SPT will arise automatically for all of them. I really don't want to restart that discussion...
                      27-07-2017, 23:18 PM
                    • TO SELL OR (VS) TO RENT ? 91 Years Lease Flat In London...
                      Dear All
                      Going through some changes...
                      I am just going through divorce that need to be Absolute in approx 2 months.
                      Also have just left work after 8 years...really need new challenge as they said.

                      I do have one buy to let property in London that have been renting for approx...
                      25-07-2017, 14:05 PM
                    • Reply to TO SELL OR (VS) TO RENT ? 91 Years Lease Flat In London...
                      The Leasehold Advisory Service has an online lease extension calculator that should give you a rough idea of the cost.
                      27-07-2017, 22:47 PM
                    • Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                      I have an extremely anti-social and criminal tenant. My neighbours think she is possibly a sex worker and drugs abusing and dealing. She has made a witnessed and CCTV sited assault on one neighbour and has verbally abused others. 3 crimes have been reported and the local authority talk about making...
                      26-07-2017, 16:09 PM
                    • Reply to Extremely anti-social and criminal tenant -Section 8
                      I have experienced far more dificult cases than that from my neighbour's tenants with my front window and my flat door window cracked.

                      Make an offer she cannot refuse. Carrots work better.

                      Local Authorities are slow moving because shortage of housing is a problem.
                      27-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                    • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                      Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
                      25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
                    • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
                      Since the Yale was broken it proves the tenants took responsible measures for the security: they locked the door.
                      The yale is necessary for security. It is sufficient and safe to use in case of a fire because you could get out quickly operating the lock with the thump ie you don't want to be looking...
                      27-07-2017, 22:13 PM