managing agents enter property without warning and remove shower!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

managing agents enter property without warning and remove shower!

the neighbours living below me complained about a leak so I gave them the managing agent's number as I could detect the leak myself.

the agents then a week or two later send someone without any warning to remove my shower. Later that day I get a phone message saying that I could not use my shower till they had done some work to fix the leak.

They gave me no prior warning to entering the property and did not discuss with me any alternatives to removing my shower (it would have been very easy to cover the small area where the water is likely to be leaking with something temporary, or even to use the shower at a lower angle to avoid hitting the danger spot). In any case I came home late tonight, having had a long and difficult week and really looking forward a shower, and bam!

That was the first moment I realised what they had actually done. They hadn't even made it clear from their message what they had done.

I feel my home has been violated. They have not indicated when they will do the necessary work to fix the shower. How long will I have no shower?

My immediate reaction was to stop paying my rent till they sorted it, but they must have known that I have just paid this month's rent so that means I could be without a shower for a month before it starts to affect them.

So my latest thinking is that I will buy myself a new shower tomorrow morning, change the locks, patch up the area in the shower with a temporary but adequate cover and withold my expenses from next months rent.

I won't charge to aggrevation and my time wasted, only for materials involved.

Is this a reasonable and/or legally viable option please?

I don't feel I can trust these agents to have a key if they are going to violate my home in this way. What will they do next? Will I come home one night and find my fridge is gone? lol

many thanks for your advice =p

See this thread regarding landlord entering property (they cant claim they were entering for an emergency if its 1 or 2 weeks later).

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=1428

"So my latest thinking is that I will buy myself a new shower tomorrow morning, change the locks, patch up the area in the shower with a temporary but adequate cover and withold my expenses from next months rent."

I would call them & give them 48 hours to sort it, then get it done myself but properly not a temporary job.

Comment

ok thanks for the advice much appreciated

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Termination of Tenancy
        janeygee
        Hi,
        looking for some practical advice here, first post.I shall try to hit the main points and be brief.
        I have been renting my house to a couple whilst I have been out of the UK with a private rental contract, visiting the house once a year. They have been renting for 10 years , on a one...
        15-01-2018, 15:34 PM
      • Reply to Termination of Tenancy
        jpkeates
        The tenant "gave" the landlord the light fittings and power sockets when they fitted them to the landlord's property.
        They can't return the property with holes where they used to be - that isn't fair wear and tear.
        They could replace them with sockets and light fittings equivalent...
        16-01-2018, 09:19 AM
      • Letting in name of a Ltd company
        matt.svppli
        Hi,

I have a quick question to ask.
        Is it generally acceptable to sign a tenancy agreement in name of one's business and make rent payments via a business account?

The idea here is that part of the rented house would work as a home office, therefore I would like the payments...
        15-01-2018, 14:16 PM
      • Reply to Letting in name of a Ltd company
        theartfullodger
        That would be fraud (probably, based on what OP stated), a criminal offence...
        16-01-2018, 09:18 AM
      • Deposit not Protected
        prm70115
        Hi there,

I have recently found out the the agent (working for the landlord) has not protected my deposit paid Summer 2017 for a 6 month tenancy. The tenancy is up in 2 weeks and I have been asked if I want to renew which I would like to do as I wish to stay in the property.

15-01-2018, 11:42 AM
      • Reply to Deposit not Protected
        theartfullodger
        You are, in my opinion, better off with an unprotected deposit. No s21 eviction notice can be valid until they return deposit in full & you can sue for up to 3xdeposit penalty. So don;t ask for it to be protected. If they anyway protect it both of these are still true.

Do nothing....
        16-01-2018, 09:17 AM
        KTC
        You won't see my other response yet which got caught in moderation, which already made the same point. Just leave them to it whether you renew or not. If they still haven't protected the deposit and serve you the required prescribed information by 30 days after your renewed tenancy start or it going...
        16-01-2018, 09:16 AM
      • Reply to Letting in name of a Ltd company
        jpkeates
        That would make some sense, but that doesn't seem to be what's proposed here.

A property incorporating a "home office" isn't lodgings near a remote workplace....
        16-01-2018, 09:09 AM
        RedHitman
        If you don’t renew it goes onto a periodic tenancy, yeah.
        Most agents though want that extra income every year by charging a fee to renew the tenancy for another year or whatever, and if you don’t then they may use the threat of the s21 to either make you sign or make you go.
        In your...
        16-01-2018, 09:06 AM
      • Neighbours are claiming for smoke damage to their property.
        Hallie
        My tenants accidentally set fire to my property causing catastrophic damage. Unfortunately I had let my building insurance lapse and so have had to pay for all refurbishment and damage myself. The house is still uninhabitable with no tenants living there. The fire service came out and the cause...
        15-01-2018, 19:16 PM
      Working...
      X