Landlady enters my room when I'm out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last poster seems to have lost the thread...or taken it somewhere.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

This is a long speculative thread considering the OP buggered off within a couple of hours of posting. More speculation - perhaps he did what I would have done and simply had a chat with the landlady, and if the issue wasn’t resolved moved out?
      I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
        This is a long speculative thread considering the OP buggered off within a couple of hours of posting. More speculation - perhaps he did what I would have done and simply had a chat with the landlady, and if the issue wasn’t resolved moved out?
        You and many other Sensible People!
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          Last poster seems to have lost the thread...or taken it somewhere.
          Well it is rather a long thread - I note the OP is allegedly male
          Vic - wicked landlord
          Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
          Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by Mogin View Post
            If the OP does not have exclusive use of his room, what does he/she have?
            A licence to occupy the property - a lodger. It is quite possible that the licence could have been drafted to give him whatever rights the L and OP wanted; however it was an oral agreement with no terms. So in answer to your other questions:

Would the OP have had any idea that the landlady or anyone else would be walking in and out of the room that they are renting, at will, sleeping there, clipping toenails, watching TV, etc?

I doubt it and I doubt that the landlady would have told the OP that he would be sharing the room with undefined others at any time and without notice.
            OP should have asked and agreed this in the first place. Assumptions are very silly...

Comment

I'm a landlady and not mad - and I do tidy my lodgers rooms...
              I clean their bathrooms - ensuite or shared, tidy their clothes - sometimes putting them in drawers, empty the bins, and generally make sure the rooms look nice. I am not interested in their possessions. I am interested in having a clean, tidy house - and I take that as being part of my role of being a landlady - instead of having a cleaner. Mostly cos I also have agents showing prospective long term tenants round. My house is luxury and I do not want it to appear like student's dwelling house when I am trying to get top £ for a rental. Also I am a mum and always clearing up anyway. Maybe some people here are over-reacting.

Comment

Originally posted by HP mum View Post
                I clean their bathrooms - ensuite or shared, tidy their clothes - sometimes putting them in drawers, empty the bins, and generally make sure the rooms look nice. I am not interested in their possessions. I am interested in having a clean, tidy house - and I take that as being part of my role of being a landlady - instead of having a cleaner. Mostly cos I also have agents showing prospective long term tenants round. My house is luxury and I do not want it to appear like student's dwelling house when I am trying to get top £ for a rental. Also I am a mum and always clearing up anyway. Maybe some people here are over-reacting.
                Or maybe it just depends what people want. Cleaning-up for an occupant might be:
                a. a welcomed relief and saving of time for an untidy but busy person; or
                b. a gross invasion of privacy; or
                c. anywhere between these extremes.
                This range applies equally to lodgers and one's own family!
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
                  OP should have asked and agreed this in the first place. Assumptions are very silly...
                  Yes, but I think the OP and many people could reasonably expect their room to be their room and any access to it agreed in advance.

The likelihood that tenants, lodgers, occupants, etc would expect the LL to come and go as they please, with friends, etc., and without formally discussing the subject in advance is not very high, in my opinion.

Comment

Have you agreed with your lodgers to do these things before they take up occupancy?

Comment

I have stayed in a place like this in the past where the landlady cleaned the room etc; it was advertised as a serviced bed-sit. It would help if the OP could clarify the situation but (s)he seems to have no further interest?

Comment

replying to the above posters - I only offer short term lodging space and most people that come are wonderful guests that become great friends who return again and again... I do tell people that the room is cleaned/kep tidy - the fact that I mostly choose to do it, rather than a cleaner, is irrelevant. Most people leave their doors open, never locked, as they are so comfortable in my home. I guess that is not most people's experience as there are a lot of weird, untrustworthy tenants/landlords - but it seems to be a fantastic experience here. Which is why I offered my tuppence worth to this issue !!

Comment

I only offer short term lodging space and most people that come are wonderful guests that become great friends who return again and again... I do tell people that the room is cleaned/kep tidy - the fact that I mostly choose to do it, rather than a cleaner, is irrelevant
                          You sound very much like my old landlady in Bristol who was very friendly and helpful, I eventually bought as house opposite my old bedsit (by chance) and the landlady then became a good neighbour.

I was well aware of the situation before I moved into the bedsit, and it was a reason why I chose it. I can only assume the OP was not aware otherwise why post? In that case I can well understand why some people would be concerned about an unexpected ‘intrusion’.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Smoking tenant
                            by Hudson01
                            I can only echo the above comments, you have done what you need too, although to be honest i would have taken this action years ago, if you have never liked all the smoke then why put up with it for so long...... I would be very unhappy about all the smoke but i would seriously consider selling both...
                            13-05-2021, 19:42 PM
                          • Smoking tenant
                            by renting25
                            Please can you offer us advice as to whether there is any action that can be taken to stop a very serious situation of anti social behaviour.My wife and myself own 2 maisonettes a upstairs owned by me that we both live in and a downstairs that is owned by my wife and she has rented the property out...
                            13-05-2021, 17:17 PM
                          • Reply to Early change of Landlord
                            by theartfullodger
                            Sympathy! Don't forget to advise tenants to pursue the agent's complaints process and when that process fails - (I can foresee the future) - to use the lettings agent redress scheme. See here advice from Mssrs Shelter..
                            https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...edress_schemes

Good luck:...
                            13-05-2021, 19:34 PM
                          • Early change of Landlord
                            by islandgirl
                            Would be grateful for thoughts on this. Daughter signed student tenancy for next academic year on Monday this week. LL shown as an individual with the same name as the letting agency. Yesterday she was told that the LL wishes to self manage and to change her standing order payment to an investment company...
                            13-05-2021, 09:52 AM
                            by Jon66
                            Yes I agree with the above. Make sure you have complied with statutory requirements to ensure any s21 is valid.
                            13-05-2021, 18:59 PM
                          • Unreasonably Withholding Consent on Internal Layout Change
                            by wabdiddly
                            Dear All,

Looking for an opinion and some legal views behind what I can do in the following situation.

My top floor flat has rather wonky flooring, which the structural engineer's report described as "in poor condition and needs levelling to provide satisfactory living...
                            13-05-2021, 18:28 PM
                            by ash72
                            You have been provided the advice by your legal council, if you want them out seek possession of the property (do it before S21 is removed), you need to now moved to the next stage which is put in an application for possession, then finally bailiffs. I would also stop complaining to the T's it is harassment,...
                            13-05-2021, 17:44 PM
                          • Reply to New landlord needs some advice
                            by DPT57
                            She wouldn't be able to rent it straight away anyway if you carry out referencing, (which you should), as this takes a few days. I get people to complete an application form too. A lot of prospective tenants are flaky on OR. Some promise to call you and you never hear from them again, even if you try...
                            13-05-2021, 17:38 PM
                          • New landlord needs some advice
                            by wenqi
                            Hi, I am just a new landlord who is renting our first property using openrent. I do need some advice from you.

We had a very lovely lady to view our house. She looked love our property and wanted to take it straight away. Because she came alone (her partner was working), my husband advised...
                            12-05-2021, 19:56 PM
                          • Reply to 'Replacement tenancy' issue
                            by berliner
                            "If the new tenancy is for a lesser rent, the tenant will remain liable to pay an amount equal to the difference between the original rent and new lower rental figure up to the end of the original fixed term."

I read in a similar post that such a clause might not be enforceab...
                            13-05-2021, 17:38 PM
                          Working...
                          X