• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Don't mess with toasters!
    Unless you're into that there reggae, man.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    Careful not to burn fingers!
    Don't mess with toasters!

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by MrJohnnyB View Post
    I don't know much about residential property so am simply speculating!
    Careful not to burn fingers!

Leave a comment:

• MrJohnnyB
    replied
    Yes. If it reads "To pay L", L can enforce it.
    The point was simply that, if it read "To pay A", A usually cannot enforce it.
    Ahh I see! Thanks once again! I'm sure I'll find all this knowledge useful one day.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Yes. If it reads "To pay L", L can enforce it.
    The point was simply that, if it read "To pay A", A usually cannot enforce it.

Leave a comment:

• MrJohnnyB
    replied
    But surely the Landlord could just insert a clause which states something along the lines of "to pay the landlord or his agents any reasonable costs involved in renewing the tenancy agreement" I don't know much about residential property so am simply speculating! I guess its just a case of reading the AST, as I deal with soley commercial property I always am fairly keen to learn more about residential property so thank you for your insight!

Leave a comment:

• firefly
    replied
    Aha. The AST is between L and T, is it not, so T's obligations are owed to L (not to Agent A).
    Not being a party, A cannot enforce the AST personally unless the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 applies.

Very interesting, thank you!

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by MrJohnnyB View Post
    I thought that Tenants being forced to pickup renewal costs for ASTs was fairly common place? So even with private tenancies the Landlord should be paying the cost of the renewal and not the tenant? What happens if they have a contractual obligation in the AST?
    Aha. The AST is between L and T, is it not, so T's obligations are owed to L (not to Agent A).
    Not being a party, A cannot enforce the AST personally unless the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 applies.

Leave a comment:

• MrJohnnyB
    replied
    Remember that the Agent is L's agent (not yours); so only L should be doing the paying.
    I thought that Tenants being forced to pickup renewal costs for ASTs was fairly common place? So even with private tenancies the Landlord should be paying the cost of the renewal and not the tenant? What happens if they have a contractual obligation in the AST?

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by firefly View Post
    The contact was meant to be renewed last September but they refuse to renew or should I say give me the contract until I pay the renewal fee.

Thank you for your advice, I have been wondering whether this is legal or not for a while as the LL also apparently pays this fee.
    Remember that the Agent is L's agent (not yours); so only L should be doing the paying.

Leave a comment:

• firefly
    replied
    Hi Jeffrey

Well the contact was meant to be renewed last September but they refuse to renew or should I say give me the contract until I pay the renewal fee.

Thank you for your advice, I have been wondering whether this is legal or not for a while as the LL also apparently pays this fee.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by firefly View Post
    As a tenant for 5 years now I have always had to pay the "renewal fee" of around £85, which is daylight robbery if you ask me!! All they do is amend the dates on the old one and give you a copy ...

However I have never been able to pay it off in one go as Im on benefits and did ask the agents if I could pay a bit every month, firstly they refused saying I had to pay 2 large sums a month apart so I told them if they want the money I will pay every month- thats the only way they will get it. Guess what? I pay them every month over 12 months.

I have refused to pay the last lot as its a liberty and they do nothing to earn it (also cant afford it!!!) its about time they got rid of the so called "renewal fee"
    Really, there's no legal obligation on you as T (whether by law or by contract) to pay any such fee.

Leave a comment:

• firefly
    replied
    As a tenant for 5 years now I have always had to pay the "renewal fee" of around £85, which is daylight robbery if you ask me!! All they do is amend the dates on the old one and give you a copy ...

However I have never been able to pay it off in one go as Im on benefits and did ask the agents if I could pay a bit every month, firstly they refused saying I had to pay 2 large sums a month apart so I told them if they want the money I will pay every month- thats the only way they will get it. Guess what? I pay them every month over 12 months.

I have refused to pay the last lot as its a liberty and they do nothing to earn it (also cant afford it!!!) its about time they got rid of the so called "renewal fee"

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by PML View Post
    Yes, I did mean direct debit or standing order
    No, you didn't. Direct Debits are almost not within your legal ability; so you meant only Standing Order. You know the difference?

Leave a comment:

• PML
    replied
    Paying the Intro fee over 12 months

Yes, I did mean direct debit or standing order, my point was, does anyone know whether one can pay the intro fee over 12 months, rather than in one or two massive payments, even if the A does not want me to pay it in such small payments. I cannot see a way out of paying this fee so really need to know whether he could take me to court for paying it in small installments. As long as Im paying the fee, would he have a right to argue?

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
    by Hudson01
    If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
    28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
  • Renting rooms
    by Luke
    I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
    I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
    I do not intend to live at the property
    Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
    As its...
    28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by jpkeates
    That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
    The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
    28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
  • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by Piffy
    I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
    27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by DoricPixie
    You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
    28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
    by DoricPixie
    I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
    28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
  • Reply to Renting rooms
    by AndrewDod
    No reason the above should be the case in any sort of sane world - but courtesy of our ignorant and evil masters it is the case.

Anyone with an ounce of compassion could go through this forum and find thousands of types of examples where the legislation designed to (they pretend) help people,...
    28-01-2022, 15:43 PM
  • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
    by Hooper
    Obviously it depends on your properties but if they and your tenants are not particularly high maintenance there is no reason that you should have to reduce your employment hours to fit in managing 4 properties. I manage 9/10. I often allow it to take up more time than it needs to - it's true that if...
    28-01-2022, 14:44 PM
  • Inherited a few rentals
    by Landlord7289
    Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
    25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
    by jpkeates
    The government's model agreement doesn't contain such a provision.

"...the Tenant must return the Property and any items listed on the inventory to the Landlord in the same condition and state of cleanliness as they were at the start of the Tenancy."

I suspect that...
    28-01-2022, 14:43 PM
Working...
X