claim against managing agent

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • claim against managing agent

    plese help HB tenant moved out 2 mths ago owing over 4000.managing agentS were supposed to reference her as per their TOC chased them several times and they promised to forward them which they did not. found out after tenant had flitted no reference had been done as "how are you supposed to reference someone that has no job" they also did no inventory or inspections.they tried thier best to not forward rent paying odd amounts at different times.4 mths into tenancy felt had no choice but to ask council to suspend payment to them and apply to have rent paid direct to me.tenant chose not to get involved but complained bitterly about their mismanagement.Eerily a few days later the drains blocked up tenant denied all responsibility although tenancy agreement says otherwise we wanted to investigate but put the phone down on us.Agents told us few days later that problem sorted but tenant angry and talking about moving out.appied to the council to have rent paid to us again when she was 8 weeks in arrears but just at the right time she left so we didnt get a penny more.Agents say they have no responsibility as when i applied to have rent paid to me they stopped managing agin told me this after she had gone although TOCstate 3 mths notice on either side to top it all they charged me all up front instead of pro rata again as per Toc so owe me at least 500 Help please

  • #2
    Very disjointed, and no apparent question! I assume you are asking whether you have a basis for a claim against the agent....yes you do if they have not followed their own T&Cs. Take to small claims court.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.


    • #3
      I know my post is very disjointed, its late is my excuse.Can i claim for the total rent due to me from agents as I have been advised there is little chance of recovering it from a HB tenant


      • #4
        I doubt it. You can sue to have all of the agents fees and associated costs returned as well as claiming compensation for negligence on the part of the agent.

        Perhaps it is worth your while taking action on all the rent and agent costs and seeing how much you are awarded.

        Remember it is the tenants responsibility for payment of rent.
        For the avoidance of doubt, I am not a solicitor nor a specialist. I have simply spent many years in the business and am expressing my opinions. I would urge caution to any individual using these forums as a sole basis for decision without first speaking to a solicitor.


        • #5
          claim against managing agent

          this is probably outside the realms of this forum but I'll give it a go anyway.I took the managing agent to the small claims court and was awarded 1100(inc costs) I should have got more but judge was very impatient mostly because of the confusion the agents were trying to cause and called a halt after three hours.They haven't paid and I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to enforce the order bearing in mind they are a limited company.I looked up their accounts on companies house website and previous years they have made a loss and this years accounts are five months overdue . I have the directors address if this is any help to me.


          Latest Activity


          • Mice in the flat - what to do?
            We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

            Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
            26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
          • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
            I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
            Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
            24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
          • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
            Are you effectively saying it is standard for a freeholder to have access to build?
            I have looked at the lease, can anyone advise on someone that make the lease clear to me?...
            26-07-2017, 06:01 AM
          • Tenant application form
            Hi all!

            So we are just about to put our flat on the market to rent is there anywhere we can get a ODF application form that we can email to any prospective tenants?

            Thanks in advance,

            25-07-2017, 20:14 PM
          • Reply to Tenant application form
            You really need two forms.
            a) A simple one for first-pass selection containing your basic questions. The point of this one is to help you decide if you are going to waste any time at all (and the tenant's time), even on a viewing.
            b) A much more complicated one (have you ever failed to leave...
            25-07-2017, 23:54 PM
          • Reply to Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
            I would expect any competent solicitor to have drafted the lease to give as many rights of access for building and repair as the freeholder was likely to want. You'd need to look at the lease to know.
            25-07-2017, 22:57 PM
          • Non- protected deposit, and disputes
            Q1 – Where is the rented property located? England

            Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? Multiple tenants (a couple) - one tenancy agreement

            Q3 – What date did current TA start 01/11/2016

            Q4 – How long was initial fixed term 6 months
            24-07-2017, 12:25 PM
          • Reply to Non- protected deposit, and disputes
            If by that you meant that an application have been made for voluntary striking off the company from the register, then you need to contact Companies House to object to it on the grounds that 1) it has traded or otherwise carried on business within the last 3 months 2) that you are a creditor and that...
            25-07-2017, 22:55 PM
          • Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            Our rented flat was broken into, in the process the Yale lock was broken and cost £100 to repair. The landlord is refusing to pay this on the basis we didn’t also lock the door with the mortice lock. We didn’t use the mortice lock as it wasn’t working although the landlord did not know this....
            25-07-2017, 11:40 AM
          • Reply to Burglary Damage - Who Pays?
            Would the same ring true if a tree had crushed the roof? Or some non-act of God event? Surely there is a limit to where the tenants responsibility ends and the landlord's begins?...
            25-07-2017, 22:07 PM