Tenant's parents as Guarantors: correct procedure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant's parents as Guarantors: correct procedure?

Hi

I might be taking on a Tenant and her Mum and possibly Dad too will be her Guarantors. Both are working and are home owners.

I just wanted to make sure I know the correct Procedure for it.

I have a few questions.

Do I give the Guarantors and the Tenant a copy of the tenancy agreement to look at first?
    Do I also need to give a copy of the Guarantor agreement to the Guarantors before signing any documents?
    Once they happy with that, Do I need 3 copies of the tenancy agreement, one each for me, Guarantor and tenant.
    Does the Deed of Guarantor, needs one witness per Guarantor?
    And can I use one Guarantor agreement with both Guarantors on it?

I hope I have covered everything. Please advice, if I need to do anything else.

Unless a legal person replies with experience in this area, I would see a lawyer to get these questions addressed, including the drafting of the guarantor agreement, the wording of which must not be drafted lightly or without proper examination.

Comment

Originally posted by SALL View Post
      Hi

I might be taking on a Tenant and her Mum and possibly Dad too will be her Guarantors. Both are working and are home owners.

I just wanted to make sure I know the correct Procedure for it.

I have a few questions.

Do I give the Guarantors and the Tenant a copy of the tenancy agreement to look at first?
      Do I also need to give a copy of the Guarantor agreement to the Guarantors before signing any documents?
      Once they happy with that, Do I need 3 copies of the tenancy agreement, one each for me, Guarantor and tenant.
      Does the Deed of Guarantor, needs one witness per Guarantor?
      And can I use one Guarantor agreement with both Guarantors on it?

I hope I have covered everything. Please advice, if I need to do anything else.
      1. Always let T have a draft of proposed Agreement, whether or not a guarantor (G) is involved.
      2. L and G enter into Deed of Guarantee.
      3. The Deed does not involve T as a party.
      4. The Deed should - ideally- exhibit a copy of the Tenancy Agreement. If not, L must at least let G have a copy; or else how could G know what is being guaranteed?
      5. G should execute Deed, L does not need to (but can), L keeps Deed, G keeps copy of Deed.
      6. If there are two guarantors, G1 and G2 should be jointly and severally liable. Both can execute same Deed.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X