Bills for previous tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bills for previous tenant

My tenant moved out of my property a couple of months ago.

The estate agent who manages the property informed the utility companies of the readings and the forwarding address for final bills etc.

They also told the utilities that I was now responsible and gave them my home address.

I am now being sent final bills for the previous tenant to my home address.

I wrote to the utility in question and they said they would take care of it and now they have just sent me another bill for the previous tenant to my home address.

What is the best course of action:

- Inform the estate agent so they can write to the utility again?
    - Write a complaint letter to the utility?
    - Both of the above?
    - Any other action?

At this point I do not have the new address of the tenant, but the estate agent does.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by rk164 View Post
    - Inform the estate agent so they can write to the utility again?
    - Write a complaint letter to the utility?
    - Any other action?
    At this point I do not have the new address of the tenant, but the estate agent does.
    The utilities will only send the bills to the address to where the utility is being used. They may have sent a copy to forwarding address, but that is unlikely.

Assume the tenants name is still on them, and even if not, it's still a record of the tenants usage during his stay there.

Your ex-tanant IS responsible to pay those bills, so
    --Inform agents to contact utility again with forwarding address.
    --Write yourself to the utility, saying you have forwarded the bills to the ex-tenant.
    --Get the forwarding address from the agent ( They are employed by you, they are your agents,) and don't let then spout the data protection act. - Just say you still cant find the paper with his forwarding address on, and can you have it, as there is post to forward .......

Unfortunately, if your name is now on the bills, for when the tenant was responsible for paying, then you may have to pay the bill, and get the money from the ex tenant. ( Due to mistake by utility company of putting your name on the account for the period the tenants resided there.)

But you don't say whos name is on the bills. If it's the tenants, then argue with utility that is not your concern, and make sure you give them the forwarding address.

The agent "should" if you are lucky, sort this out for you, if you still employ them.

R-a-M

Comment

Is the same agency managing your property now with new tenants in?

If so I would bounce the bills back to the agent asking them to sort them out.

If not, obtain all the meter reading, obtain the dates when the tenants moved in/moved out, when the agent sent the letter, forwarding address for the ex-tenant and you have everything you need to sort the bill out.

If you don't have a forwarding address for the tenant just keep pushing with the utility company to search for the tenant themselves. If they do do that then they will probably send the final bill with the ex-tenants name on to the property they rented until the utility company gets a bit bored and they want their money.

Keep everything clear and concise, it helps if you repeat yourself a couple of times too! Bear in mind that most of these call centre workers deal with hundreds of accounts every day and they get paid regardless of if they mess it all up!
      My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X