Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 8 assistance

Good evening gentlemen!

I have an issue with a tenent. He's been behind payments for months. The agent i was dealing with issued at section 8 three months ago. I only found this today when i received the file back from the agent.

I am the landlord and the agent issued the s 8 on my behalf. What can i do now with regards to legally evicting the tenent? He's v knowledgable on his legal rights, but has lied repeatedly about his rent, and has tried to bluff me by saying he didnt received S 8 notification. By it was sent by recorded delivery as the file shows.

The S 8 was issued in June.

What can i do from here on?

Many thanks in advance!

Originally posted by WarwickGrad View Post
    Good evening gentlemen!

I have an issue with a tenent. He's been behind payments for months. The agent i was dealing with issued at section 8 three months ago. I only found this today when i received the file back from the agent.

I am the landlord and the agent issued the s 8 on my behalf. What can i do now with regards to legally evicting the tenent? He's v knowledgable on his legal rights, but has lied repeatedly about his rent, and has tried to bluff me by saying he didnt received S 8 notification. By it was sent by recorded delivery as the file shows.

The S 8 was issued in June.

What can i do from here on?

Many thanks in advance!
    You could try extending your greetings to the other half of the population as well!
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I would not have answered MTG... He only asked the men for help! Us women obviously do not know what we are talking about.
      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

S8 gd morning gentlemen!

ha ha, v amusing msg

esp from someone with your 'justaboutsane' title

now be a gd girl and run along!

ha ha ha....

ps: i deserve to be banned from this website

Comment

Originally posted by WarwickGrad View Post
          ha ha, v amusing msg

esp from someone with your 'justaboutsane' title
          What ARE you on about? Can you read?

I can recommend a good adult literacy scheme, if you want?
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
            What ARE you on about? Can you read?

I can recommend a good adult literacy scheme, if you want?

Better phone with the details!

Comment

Since more than 14 days have elapsed since the expiry date of the S8 notice - and the grounds are rent related - you can ring up the local court and ask for a date for a repossession hearing. There will be some "N" form or other for you to fill in, plus a court fee to pay.

Regarding the serving of the notice and whether it ever happened, on balance the court will believe you and not the tenant since you have the letting agent's file and recording delivery stub as backup. With hindsight it might have been better for you to have served the S8 witnessed by the agent or vice versa.

What you will certainly need is a rent statement from the agent, and signed by the agent, showing every rent payment received, since the start of the tenancy showing amounts and dates. Ideally this rent schedule should have been posted with the S8 to warn the tenant he was in arrears. If you have been responsible for collecting the rent instead of the agent, then just collate this information from your own bank statements or the rent book etc. It's the rent schedule that gives the S8 its teeth.

Meanwhile you have to prove you have been a good landlord all along and are not delinquent so

1) avoid visiting/snooping around the property between now and the court hearing. Otherwise, any ad-hoc visits you make can be presented as "harassment" when the tenant speaks in court.

2) get a letter from the agent stating that the property was in good repair at the start of the tenancy and that no disrepairs have been reported by the tenant.

Comment

thanks metropolitan anthony!

apologies for my prior thread - its one of those threads one writes which they later regret, as jeremy paxton mentioned in his article the other day

have a gd evening ladies and gentlemen!! (that hopefully makes amends)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X