Cookers and Fridge/Freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cookers and Fridge/Freezer

As a landlord, am I required to provide the above appliances.

If so, can anyone recommend the lowest price free standing cooker supplier/make, and the same for a small under the work bench fridge/freezer.

Do you recommend including the above if not needed?
    Earn More Residual Income From Your Property - bills2big.net
    Landlords & Letting Agents It's A Must!

Neither is a requirement, and today with microwave ovens becoming so popular, conventional cookers often get little use. The only reason for supplying either or both is if this makes the property more attractive to a potential tenant, or you are looking at a market sector (e.g. students) where these appliances are expected. Of course as a landlord, if you supply them then you have to keep them in repair.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamLifestyle View Post
      As a landlord, am I required to provide the above appliances.

If so, can anyone recommend the lowest price free standing cooker supplier/make, and the same for a small under the work bench fridge/freezer.

Do you recommend including the above if not needed?
      If someone is going to live in the property, surely a fridge at least will be needed?

Unless the property is within close walking distance of a supermarket, I'd say a freezer of some kind is essential, too.

The Comet auction website has some bargains (up to 60% off) for white goods, if you don't mind bidding. It's new stuff but overstocked, or slight scratches, etc but has normal guarantee. They deliver it. Otherwise, Lec do some quite cheap models. Trouble is, you get what you pay for...I'd always go for a slightly better model (e.g. Hotpoint) on the grounds that it will almost certainly last longer.

We had a kitchen full of Zanussi appliances once - the fridge & freezer were OK, but everything else broke down and Zanussi were hopeless over supplying spare parts.

Alternatively places like B&Q or Tesco or Asda do lower-end fridges with freezer compartments very competitively.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Ebay (next day del from lots pf suppliers), beko.co.uk are very cheap !!!!

Nowadays these items are pretty much considered consumables !

The Rodent
        A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
        W.Churchill

Comment

Thanks for all of your input.

Would you advise including a fridge freezer at all for flats, and let the tenant deicde if they wish to purchase a cooker, or just leave them empty?
          Earn More Residual Income From Your Property - bills2big.net
          Landlords & Letting Agents It's A Must!

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
            If someone is going to live in the property, surely a fridge at least will be needed?

Unless the property is within close walking distance of a supermarket, I'd say a freezer of some kind is essential, too.

The Comet auction website has some bargains (up to 60% off) for white goods, if you don't mind bidding. It's new stuff but overstocked, or slight scratches, etc but has normal guarantee. They deliver it. Otherwise, Lec do some quite cheap models. Trouble is, you get what you pay for...I'd always go for a slightly better model (e.g. Hotpoint) on the grounds that it will almost certainly last longer.

We had a kitchen full of Zanussi appliances once - the fridge & freezer were OK, but everything else broke down and Zanussi were hopeless over supplying spare parts.

Alternatively places like B&Q or Tesco or Asda do lower-end fridges with freezer compartments very competitively.
            All true, but L is not compellable to provide these. Why should T not provide own white goods?
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I have NEVER supplied white goods and tenants have always been happy to provide their own. The only question is as to whether the plumbing has points to connect an automatic washing machine to. Electric equipment like this also probably needs PAT certification. As I said above. If you provide white goods - YOU have to pay to have them fixed when they break down. Will your tenant pay extra rent to cover this liability?

P.P.
              Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

I choose to provide hob, oven and fridge/freezer in my unfurnished properties, mainly because they have fitted kitchens and the above are built-in.

I never provide a washing machine, as they are very prone to breaking down, causing floods etc, especially when subjected to tenant misuse; so there's just a space provided for one along with all necessary plumbing fittings etc. This strategy has always worked well for me.

In terms of buying them - I just look for online suppliers and go for whichever represents best value on the day.

Comment

I wouldn't trust my tenants to plumb/install/read the instructions/top up anything themselves!

I just get the cooker, hob, washing machine all installed. Fridge freezer is then optional as many people imo are more likely to have these than any of the others.
                  My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

I would install the highest quality white goods you can afford to.

1) I think an attractive kitchen helps to attract a better quality of tenant. More subtly, you can end up with a wider pool of tenants to choose from.

2) High/mid range equipment ( Miele/AEG/Bosch) designed to last ten years saves me money since these items don't wear out or break down.

3) I think cheap white goods e.g. zanussi are a false economy since you end up chucking them out and replacing them every two years. Some stores won't stock zanussi since their aftercare is so poor.

4) For washing machines and dishwashers, if your flat is at ground floor level then the worst plumbing disaster that can happen is a flood in your own flat whereas a flooded rented flat on a 1st, 2nd or 3rd floor also floods the neighbour below = ££££££. It comes down to plumber proficiency. Do you trust your tenants plumber over your own?

Comment

To Mind the Gap - I have to make a stand for LEC refrigerators - my son is still using my old LEC fridge (full of beer etc. in his garage) and it HAS to be at least 20 years old - in fact when I was in the UK for a while a year ago, I "borrowed" it for my little flat and it worked perfectly!!!
                      Mrs Jones
                      I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Jones View Post
                        To Mind the Gap - I have to make a stand for LEC refrigerators - my son is still using my old LEC fridge (full of beer etc. in his garage) and it HAS to be at least 20 years old - in fact when I was in the UK for a while a year ago, I "borrowed" it for my little flat and it worked perfectly!!!
                        That's reassuring. We had a Lec fridge-freezer once, which lasted exactly a year and a day (so just out of guarantee!), before making a high pitched noise which I can only describe as a strangled scream, and 'dying'. It was pretty unnerving.
                        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Oh dear - really bad luck - but I would have gone to town on the supplier - hard to justify not repairing under guarantee under those circumstances.
                          Mrs Jones
                          I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Jones View Post
                            Oh dear - really bad luck - but I would have gone to town on the supplier - hard to justify not repairing under guarantee under those circumstances.
                            With hindsight, yes, we should have done that. (At the time, we were preoccupied trying to calm the cat down, after the trauma of it all. And it was in Yorkshire, a long time ago, when 'customer satisfaction' was a radical new idea which hadn't really caught on yet).

Comment

Best value-for-money white goods are Lec and Beko.
                              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X