Tips on handling DSS payments direct to the tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
    The bank would see little value in operating an account which only holds money for a couple of days each month.
    Little value for them, perhaps. But given recent developments in the banking world, it could be agued they owe us something!!! Don't we just about own them all now anyway? I think we should start calling the shots as to what sort of accounts we want!
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Sep.account

I encourage my tenants to set up a seperate bank account for the LHA to be paid into, this way it will not be absorbed with their other benefits, DD's, SO etc.

Also wherever possible, which can be quite difficult with HB tenants is to insist on a months or 6 weeks deposit which should give you a little security.

I have heard of some landlords actually getting joint account with their tenants so they have access to their account all times, not sure if LAutorities will allow this. Some have gone as far as getting tenants to open up a basic account and taking the cash card and pin number off the tenants and thus having direct access.

Desperate times, mean desperate measures.

Also I have heard the DWP is rethinking the LHA due to high rents (i.e the Ealing property in the news recently), I think things should be back to the good old days of direct payments to LL, I would rather have the old rent rates then risk getting higher rent paid to the tenant.

Again another ballsup for the governement the LHA was supposed to be the biggest change in Housing benefit for the past 20 years !!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, great idea about the seperate bank account, trouble is some of them don't have a bank account full stop, also you can't force people to open one.
        I am beginning to see that the picking of the tenant in the first place is the most important part of this whole process, I have been doing this for years and have been quite lax in some respects.
        I have now changed completely since the new housing allowance has come in, I feel like a detective, leaving no stone unturned when it comes to finding out the inns and outs of the tenants past history ect.

Comment

Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
          finding out the inns and outs of the tenants past history ect.
          Do your tenants spend a lot of time in inns, then?
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            Do your tenants spend a lot of time in inns, then?
            Only when they're not out of inns.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Izzycam will cure them by ECT- see end of post #19.
              She did mention tenants' past history- but what other kind of history (other than past) might there be?
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Izzycam will cure them by ECT- see end of post #19.
                She did mention tenants' past history- but what other kind of history (other than past) might there be?
                Adrienne Rich would suggest 'herstory'.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                  Adrienne Rich would suggest 'herstory'.
                  ...because she is illiterate in philological terms.

Comment

...because she is illiterate in philological terms.
                    Well, very few people enjoy stamp-collecting thse days, so that doesn't surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                      Well, very few people enjoy stamp-collecting thse days, so that doesn't surprise me.
                      Ha, philately will get you nowhere.

Comment

"trouble is some of them don't have a bank account full stop, also you can't force people to open one. "

The best way to tackle this is, make it a condition if they refuse to open a bank acc, just say your not willing to rent to them, they'll soon pop down to LLoyds ! Its worked for me eveytime, and if they're not willing to do it maybe they got something to hide etc.

Comment

Originally posted by shaf View Post
                          "trouble is some of them don't have a bank account full stop, also you can't force people to open one. "

The best way to tackle this is, make it a condition if they refuse to open a bank acc, just say your not willing to rent to them, they'll soon pop down to LLoyds ! Its worked for me eveytime, and if they're not willing to do it maybe they got something to hide etc.
                          A whacking great ship to insure as well? No wonder they can't afford the rent.

Comment

Well I'll try that one, (must open seperate bank account or can't have the house). I wonder if this is legal.

Comment

I don't think its a legal issue, your the landlord/lady, its upto you who you rent to !

If they want the house that badly they should have a problem with opening up a sep bank acc. Its in there interest as well, should help them seperate their money and spend accordingly. Although theres still no guarantee they'll pass the money on, its about minimising the risks...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X