Tenancy Surrender Letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy Surrender Letter

My tenants have given notice that they will leave at the end of the fixed term and in the past I have simply asked for sight of copies of bills (gas, electric, water & council tax) along with proof of payment, however it has been suggested that I should get out-going tenants to sign a tenancy surrender letter.

Does anyone have a tenancy surrender letter that they are willing to share?

Thanks in anticipation, Sam

A fixed term tenancy ends when it ends without anyone doing anything. Whether the tenant has paid all the bills is immaterial.

Any notice given by the tenant during the fixed term has no effect.

Any surrender made while the tenancy is an assured tenancy is of no effect.

In any event a surrender must be by deed, so a letter will be ineffective. (You can have a surrender by operation of law, but we won't go into that.)

A surrender cannot be effected so as to take place at a future date - it must take effect immediately. So if you want rent up to the end of the term the surrender must be executed on the last day - if the tenants are leaving on the last day it will be a pointless exercise.

If the tenant leaves on or before the last day of the fixed term no statutory periodic tenancy arises.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
      A fixed term tenancy ends when it ends without anyone doing anything. Whether the tenant has paid all the bills is immaterial.
      So Ll does not need to issue section 21 two months before end of fixed term?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        So Ll does not need to issue section 21 two months before end of fixed term?
        If he wants the tenant out, yes. When the fixed term ends it is immediately followed by a new statutory periodic tenancy. Of course a S21 notice does not end a tenancy.

Comment

Of course a S21 notice does not end a tenancy.
          Sorry, please could you explain? Do you mean it doesn't end it unless the tenant is willing to move out, or that it does not end it, full stop?

What's the point of it, then?

Sorry if I seem thick.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Sorry, please could you explain? Do you mean it doesn't end it unless the tenant is willing to move out, or that it does not end it, full stop?

What's the point of it, then?

Sorry if I seem thick.
            A s.21 notice is exactly what it says on the tin ie: a notice requiring possession. It is simply a notice telling the tenant that the LL requires possession after the date of expiry of the notice and that the LL reserves the right to apply to the court after that date for an order ending the tenancy (ie: a possession order).

By (from memory) s.5(1) of HA 1988, any tenancy which does not come to an end by virtue of a court order or some other act of the tenant (ie: a surrender or a NTQ given by them) continues thereafter as a statutory periodic tenancy.

Therefore, for the dual reasons that firstly, HA 1988 does not explicitly state that a s.21 notice ends the tenancy, and by negative inference/omission from the above mentioned provisions, a s.21 notice does not bring the tenancy to an end.
            Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Originally posted by agent46 View Post
              A s.21 notice is exactly what it says on the tin ie: a notice requiring possession. It is simply a notice telling the tenant that the LL requires possession after the date of expiry of the notice and that, impliedly, the LL reserves the right to apply to the court after that date for an order ending the tenancy (ie: a possession order).

By (from memory) s.5(1) of HA 1988, any tenancy which does not come to an end by virtue of a court order or some other act of the tenant (ie: a surrender or a NTQ given by them) continues thereafter as a statutory periodic tenancy.

Therefore, for the dual reasons that firstly, HA 1988 does not explicitly state that a s.21 notice ends the tenancy, and by negative inference/omission from the above mentioned provisions, a s.21 notice does not bring the tenancy to an end.
              Thank you for that, much appreciated. So are the only things which actually bring a tenacy to an end :

1 the tenant voluntarily vacating
              2 the courts obliging the tenant to vacate
              3 the death of the tenant (assuming sole occupancy)

?

Comment

Thank you for that, much appreciated. So are the only things which actually bring a tenacy to an end :

1 the tenant voluntarily vacating
                2 the courts obliging the tenant to vacate
                3 the death of the tenant (assuming sole occupancy)

?
                1. No. Simply vacating is not enough. The tenant must give notice if the tenancy is periodic. If it is fixed any right to break must have been exercised.

2. Yes.

3. No. A tenancy is an estate in land. It survives death.

I shall shortly be starting a thread indicating the ways a tenancy can be brought to an end.

Comment

I shall shortly be starting a thread indicating the ways a tenancy can be brought to an end.
                  There's already one re leases with this information. See http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=9841.
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                    There's already one re leases with this information. See http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=9841.
                    I have taken the opportunity to expand on what you said.

Comment

3. No. A tenancy is an estate in land. It survives death.
                      Thanks Lawcruncher. I'm getting there, then I'll leave you in peace.

One last question - in practice, if a sole tenant dies, what can the LL do to regain possession? You can't serve notice on the tenant, (obviously), so what would be the 'protocol'? Do anyone else (e.g from tenant's family) have a right to claim the tenancy and move in? In what sense exactly can the tenancy 'survive death'?

Thanks for your understanding.

Comment

A tenancy survives death in the same way as a freehold interest in land survives death. Although he is not liable beyond the assets of the estate unless he takes possession, the personal representative becomes the tenant. Obviously there may be cases where the PR is not known. If the tenancy agreement allows service by leaving notice at the property that will be good service.

Comment

A tenancy survives death in the same way as a freehold interest in land survives death. Although he is not liable beyond the assets of the estate unless he takes possession, the personal representative becomes the tenant. Obviously there may be cases where the PR is not known. If the tenancy agreement allows service by leaving notice at the property that will be good service.
                          In case of an intestacy, the Deceased's assets- inc. tenancy- vest in Public Trustee. L's formal Notices to T should therefore be served:
                          a. on PT in London;
                          b. at T's last known address; and
                          c. at the let property's address.
                          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank'ee, ven'rable gentlemen!

Comment

the personal representative becomes the tenant.
                              Geeky question.

Given that an AST can only be valid if the property is used as the tenant's principal home, if the PR doesn't use the property thus, how does the AST survive the death of the tenant?
                              Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
                                by DoricPixie
                                It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
                                28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
                              • Renting rooms
                                by Luke
                                I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
                                I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
                                I do not intend to live at the property
                                Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
                                As its...
                                28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
                              • Reply to Renting rooms
                                by DoricPixie
                                I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
                                28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
                              • Reply to Renting rooms
                                by theartfullodger
                                Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
                                28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
                              • Reply to Renting rooms
                                by Hudson01
                                If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
                                28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
                              • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                                by jpkeates
                                That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
                                The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
                                28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
                              • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                                by Piffy
                                I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                                27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
                              • Reply to Renting rooms
                                by DoricPixie
                                You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
                                28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
                              • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                                by DoricPixie
                                I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
                                28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
                              Working...
                              X