Deposit of £395 withheld for over one year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit of £395 withheld for over one year

We rented our last property (unfortunately still tenants and still having problems with our new landlord - this is by the by though for this query and is on another thread). Our last property was unfurnished. The oven was filthy when we moved in, the sofas tatty etc (yes it was unfurnished bar one old manky sofa) and furniture we had to get them to take out which the landlord had promised would have been taken out prior to us moving in - again this is just another gripe.
    After we moved in and furnished the property with our lovely things the letting agency maintenance guys let themselves in and trampled mud over our new rugs, left faeces in the toilet and on another occassion after letting themselves in to do work took it upon themselves to paint the house without forewarning us and we came back to fumes, I got paint on my hands and ecsma and found they had put paint in our crockery. We also found the maintenance guys smoking in the property when they would come round to do work. We complained to the landlord about this but did not push things further as thought we had a good relationship with the company. The property also had woodworm (aka common furniture beatle) which the property management company did nothing about and very bad damp in the house which they did nothing about either. We had to resort to using the spare room in winter due to the damp in the main bedroom.
    We moved out after 2 yrs (our tenancy started in March 05 so prior to the deposit scheme). When we moved out the landlord did not send anyone round to see the property even though we waited in for someone to show up, for the once over on the property before we left. We were told to post the keys through the letterbox and our deposit would be with us in a few weeks following.
    We moved out of there one year ago and have still not received our deposit regardless of the letters we have sent, calm at first then threatening action. We received a letter advising us that they were witholding the deposit due to some made up rubbish about wear and tear and for redecoration - their reasons did not adhere to anything in our contract. As mentioned before the property was unfurnished and we left it in a much cleaner state than how we found it when we moved in . As mentioned they did not come round to inspect the property as arranged. There was no inventory. They never ever did a gas test - we were never given our gas certificate which we should have had 3 of in the time we lived there. Every time my partner phones the company and asks to speak to the landlord, the landlord (the owner of the company - the company owns many properties) pretends to be someone else who is "holding" the landlords phone while he is away but will not give details of who "he" supposedly is. The women in the office obviously have no status in making decisions and are not able to comment on anything - I suppose if they did they'd be booted out of the company and loose their job.
    We're now considering making a claim against the company. What advice can you give us?

Money claim online.
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

You dont have much luck with landlords do you, this is the second one you have issues with.
      Maybe on your next rental, you should try to rent through a reputable agency, check that its not a let only, which will mean you go to the agent with problems( although this is not a sure fire cert that you will be any better served).
      When viewing, take your time have a really good look into everything, and return to the area at different times of the day.
      I am here because I am inexperienced and want to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by boredbird View Post
        You dont have much luck with landlords do you, this is the second one you have issues with.
        Maybe on your next rental, you should try to rent through a reputable agency, check that its not a let only, which will mean you go to the agent with problems( although this is not a sure fire cert that you will be any better served).
        When viewing, take your time have a really good look into everything, and return to the area at different times of the day.

They are both large lettings companies with fancy signs, their own websites and everything - they own the houses. It's just bad luck. No we're not morons, but just very unlucky and trying to get ourselves out of these bad situations and looking for helpful advice.

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
          Money claim online.
          Where do we do this? Can you offer any further advice?

Comment

Um.... The clue is in the title! Why not hit Google and type in Money Claim ONLINE!
            GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Um.... The clue is in the title! Why not hit Google and type in Money Claim ONLINE!
              I've only come onto the site for a little help and your advice was sparse to say the least
              Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by KatyJane View Post
                I've only come onto the site for a little help and your advice was sparse to say the least
                Thank you.
                That's hardly fair. On your last thread, about your nightmare neighbours and everything else besides, at least 8 different people including justaboutsane, spent a lot of time and mental energy trying to help you. It took about 10 minutes for each person to plough through your litany of woe to try to unravel the salient details, before they even began posting an answer. You got lots of useful information and advice.

For what it's worth, I can't understand why you didn't file a claim for your deposit within a month of the end of the tenancy. Why have you waited a year?
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

OP... I am 8 months pregnant, still working full time and I come on here as this is a passion of mine (sad I know). BUT at the end of the day you need to sometimes you need to do things for yourself. If someone had replied as I had, I would have stuck the words into google and got on with it. Its fairly self explanatory. You could even have stuck the key words into the search on here and you will have found pages of advise about how to go about suing a LL for non return of deposit. Its a very common thread.

When a situation is complex I am happy to elaborate (or ramble as some would say) But in this case I did not feel it was needed to elaborate.

Sorry if you took offense but I took you to be an intelligent person who did not need spoon feeding.

Comment

OP... I am 8 months pregnant, still working full time and I come on here as this is a passion of mine (sad I know). BUT at the end of the day you need to sometimes you need to do things for yourself. If someone had replied as I had, I would have stuck the words into google and got on with it. Its fairly self explanatory. You could even have stuck the key words into the search on here and you will have found pages of advise about how to go about suing a LL for non return of deposit. Its a very common thread.

When a situation is complex I am happy to elaborate (or ramble as some would say) But in this case I did not feel it was needed to elaborate.

Sorry if you took offense but I took you to be an intelligent person who did not need spoon feeding.
                    I am also working full time now as a Community Legal Service officer and I have came on here for some help. Yes, I'm aware that self-help is often the best, but I only came on here for a little advice. On a daily basis I research, draft reports and also volunteer as a citizens advocate. I had looked up deposit returns but there didn't seem to be anything applicable to my circumstances. I had just thought you may have recommended a specific site.
                    As you will see from my last post I am not too keen on having an internet argument, however certain people seemingly want to argue 'til the cows come home.
                    Thanks for any positive advice.

Comment

Several posts deleted at this point, as they contributed nothing and were inter-member sniping only.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
                        by Lawcruncher
                        I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
                        27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
                      • Is time more important than money?
                        by jpucng62
                        Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
                        Garden was left in a mess...
                        27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
                      • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                        by MdeB
                        That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
                        Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
                        27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
                      • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                        by Beeble
                        We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                        25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
                      • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                        by Lawcruncher
                        The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
                        27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
                      • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                        by Piffy
                        I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                        27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
                      • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                        by AndrewDod
                        Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
                        27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
                      • Inherited a few rentals
                        by Landlord7289
                        Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                        25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
                      • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                        by DoricPixie
                        Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
                        27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
                      • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
                        by Hudson01
                        Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
                        27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
                      Working...
                      X