tenants moved out,can i come in and chage the locks??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tenants moved out,can i come in and chage the locks??

My tenants gave me a verbal notice on the 15th of November, of a month notice.
    After few days they moved up to their new house and didn’t even let me show the house for any potentials tenants because they left a lot of rubes and some other personal things , since then they don’t answer my calls as well because they know the owe me money for rent and damage ,
    I just want to make sure I’m doing everything right and they won’t have any reason or any excuses to take me to court or to try to “get a way “.
    An agency found me these tenants and prepare the contract (AST), in it under “other tenant responsibilities “
    It’s Saying: “that where the property is left unoccupied, without prior notice in writing to the landlord, for a prolonged period, the tenant has failed to pay rent for that period, has shown no intention to return, the tenant is deemed to have surrendered the tenancy. This means that the landlord may take over the property and re-let it.”

And in the last paragraph of the contract it’s say : “subject to the condition that a landlord must obtain a court order for possession of the property before re-entering the premises;
    If the tenant does not:
    “Comply with the obligations set out in the agreement.
    Then the landlord may re-enter the property and end the tenancy.
    This right must be exercised in the correct way through the courts and only the court can order the tenant to give up of the property”
    If they moved out already it can’t be possession of the property if I’m to go into my house and change the locks, right? So can I assume I don’t need to serve any notice before I’m entering?
    so Can I use my spare keys to enter and clear it up or do I need to send a letter (is it just a first class letter ? What to do I need to say, do I need to give them any time in the letter to contact me ? How long do I need wait for response which probably will never happen?
    Thanks so much for everybody for their time!!

With regards the term in your AST, it seems weak to me. "A prolonged period" is a how long is a piece of string comment, it is very dodgy ground to use that as your basis.
    Last edited by MrShed; 15-12-2005, 09:52 AM. Reason: Some wrong information
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

what my next step?

so how long do i need to wait until i can come in?
      we sing on a six months contract from 17-11-04 until17-05-04 and then a new contract for another six months until 17-11-05(the same except £15 more rent ),does it now a “monthly” base and I only need to wait a month?
      do they still have their rights living in my propety? they moved to the house they just bought!
      what are my rights now as the landlord?
      do i need to contact someone professional ?
      Last edited by adlershelly; 12-12-2005, 20:28 PM. Reason: add something

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Buy to let research
        michael.blackmore
        Hello fellow LandlordZone members,

I am working on a product/platform that will give buy to let landlords/property investors increased control and financial clarity over their portfolios. There is limited research into the actual behaviour and knowledge within this area and I would therefore...
        22-01-2018, 09:19 AM
      • Competitive rent cuts
        JK0
        I'm still trying to let the flat with the green tiles. This was let in its un-renovated state for £700 in 2010, so I think £850 is reasonable now. Trouble is that there is an equivalent flat here in Reading that has been on the market since November for £795. Another one has just gone on the market...
        21-01-2018, 00:24 AM
      • Reply to Competitive rent cuts
        Interlaken
        Is that a storage heater in the hallway? I don't see the favoured words GFCH in the details - this could well be the problem of having it on the market in January.
        Could last tenants have left because they could not face another winter there?
        22-01-2018, 09:10 AM
      • Reply to Competitive rent cuts
        MisterB
        lol. I recently completed a complete refurb in magnolia, only for the boss to decide (in collusion with the 'selected' tenant) that it all needed to be shades of grey and a pink bedroom for her daughter,

of course I did as I was told, grumbling all the way, BUT to be honest (and as she...
        22-01-2018, 09:01 AM
      • Rent late because of “Hacked bank account”
        Katelydstep
        late Rent after only 3 months (just after Xmas - odd that!) and my LA firstly didn’t inform me, and now say that it’s because the tenants have had their bank account hacked.
        would it be confrontational for me to ask for a letter of confirmation from the bank re the hacking issue?. Have had...
        10-01-2018, 11:19 AM
      • Reply to Rent late because of “Hacked bank account”
        tatemono
        if you're in the northeast of England or northwest London, please PM me the agent's name... otherwise, thanks for sharing!
        22-01-2018, 08:51 AM
      • Reply to Rent late because of “Hacked bank account”
        islandgirl
        I did check with a solicitor. The advice was that until I was out of pocket I could do nothing. The AST stood. If tenants had not paid rent and I had made some form of loss I could sue agent for it. I was not happy at the time. Fortunately tenant was OK. I now tell everyone locally never ever to use...
        22-01-2018, 08:46 AM
      • Partner as Permitted occupier worries
        Lauren 1234
        Hi all

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere but u have looked everywhere and can' find an answer!!

My current landlord is selling their property so I have put an app in for a new one. I have been renting on my own for three years and not caused any problems my credit...
        21-01-2018, 12:28 PM
      • Reply to Partner as Permitted occupier worries
        mariner
        Credit ref checks are only required for signatory Ts or Guarantor, but as LL I would credit ref anyone wishing to reside in my property. Explain to LL/LA in writng (dated) that you apply as sole T, but you wish your named partner/bf as permtted occupier. LL can reject your T applicaiion.
        22-01-2018, 01:49 AM
      • tenant hasn't paid last months rent
        ferrari-airwolf
        Hi there I am in a bit of a weird situation. Basically, 1 month ago I handed my section 21 notice to the tenant to leave the property. the T should be moving out of the property mid February. The T has always paid on time and kept the house in a good and clean condition. However when I checked to see...
        21-01-2018, 13:25 PM
      Working...
      X