Deposit from HB clients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit from HB clients

First time I have had a HB tenant and have a query over deposits. I would generally ask for 1 months rent in advance plus 1 month rent + £100 as deposit. I imagine this will prove difficult for the tenant to come up with.

Anyone come up against this before and if so did you find a reasonable solution?

Originally posted by Rebecca12 View Post
    First time I have had a HB tenant and have a query over deposits. I would generally ask for 1 months rent in advance plus 1 month rent + £100 as deposit. I imagine this will prove difficult for the tenant to come up with.

Anyone come up against this before and if so did you find a reasonable solution?
    There are several Tenant Rent Guarantee insurance schemes. Try LZ Search facility.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks Jeffrey - I may suggest this to the LL.

Comment

Thanks Wickerman. I'm treading very warily into the HB area. We won't be managing this property - its a let only but need to make sure we at least set things off as well as possible.

Comment

Hmmm its a bit complicated this one. LL has only let out once before, a bit of a botch job first time round, no proper agreement in place, didn't bother with references etc. but luckily his tenants didn't prove a problem. His friend decided to do the same but was not so lucky. His beautiful new flat turned into a brothel full of illegal imigrants!

So he's decided to try things differently this time and has asked for our help. He's found a tenant - a friend of a friend who's on HB. I told him I wouldn't get involved unless he was prepared to have full ref. checks, signed inventories, lease etc.

Can you see any drawback in Let only?

Comment

Rebecca: you are in Scotland. Is the property too? Remember that most LZ members deal only with E&W, where the law is usually different.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

A lot of councils now offer a deposit bond for clients claiming HB. Generally only offered to those with families but some councils do offer them to singles as well!

Comment

Thanks. I'm interested to know why Wickerman thinks our liabilities would be higher if we do a let only.

The LL knows the tenant (no guarantee of anything) but if we do proper checks, a decent tenancy agreement, get the Standing orders in place, a photographic inventory and secure the deposit on his behalf I'm not sure we can do any more to try and ensure he is protected.

Comment

I have let to HB tenants many many times so if it is your first time with someone on benefits make sure they pay their own deposit and first months rent (sometimes the council will advance the 1st month rent to the tenant) and get a guarantor. Make it clear the rent has to be paid on the date due.

I sometimes use the council deposit bond but dont like to because it has more risk, Also my council want 3 quotes for any claim and it doesnt cover rent arreas at the end of the tenancy.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Section 21
                    by Perce
                    It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
                    29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
                  • Section 21
                    by zrux
                    Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
                    I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
                    28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
                  • Reply to Section 21
                    by MdeB
                    Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
                    29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
                  • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                    by Stew
                    I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
                    29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
                  • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                    by MadLL
                    Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
                    I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
                    29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
                  • Reply to The tenant won't pay due rent
                    by Perce
                    DPT57

I agree and this is a problem. Very difficult to find someone you can trust that they would do a good job.

It looks like one has to become a solicitor first to be able to deal with solicitors. Solicitors forget half of the things you tell them, make errors, expect...
                    29-05-2020, 18:52 PM
                  • The tenant won't pay due rent
                    by Uklondoner
                    The tenant just told me he can't pay not even half and didn't apply for benefit probably doesn't know how to. He said I can call Police. What to do now? I know the government back people like him....
                    18-04-2020, 18:34 PM
                    by Hudson01
                    I can not see you getting anywhere with the ex tenants partner but i totally agree you should chase the non paying tenant until the end of time, its is the previous landlords in not going after the arrears which then caused your tenant to be able to not pay you...... somewhere a stand has to be mad...
                    29-05-2020, 18:38 PM
                    by Perce
                    Send your ex tenant a 14 days pre action letter first....
                    29-05-2020, 18:33 PM
                  • Reply to Section 21
                    by Perce
                    The tenant should move to a cheaper accommodation which he can afford....
                    29-05-2020, 18:31 PM
                  Working...
                  X