AST- fortnightly rent payments because of HB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST- fortnightly rent payments because of HB?

Hi there

How do I make provisions for 26 rental payments (because Housing Benefit (HB) is paid fortnightly) in my AST with my Tenant?

As HB is paid fortnightly to my tenant - I have agreed to receive it fortnightly.

Do I:
    1. Create a 26 fortnightly instalment tenancy agreement\AST?
    2. In terms of the last day of the AST do I simply count up the last day of the 26th fortnight and make that the last day?
    3a. If I can create a 26 fortnightly AST are there any implications for issuing s8 or s21?
    3b. Would I still state the expiry date as the last date of the tenancy as per normal?

(Many thanks and apologies for the rather long post.)

1. Best is to reserve a monthly rent but allow T to pay fortnightly.
    2. If it must be a fortnightly rent, let for a twelve-month term nevertheless.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      2. If it must be a fortnightly rent, let for a twelve-month term nevertheless.
      Hi Jeffrey

Even though the full year's rent will be paid over a period of 13 months?
      To clarify, Housing Benefit (HB) paid to Tenant in fortnightly payments, the equivalent monthly payment would be 2 x fortnightly payments i.e. 4-weekly payments. Given that there are 52 weeks in one year - this would be the equivalent of 13 4-weekly payments or 26 fortnightly payments.

How do I cater for the 13th month?

Many thanks,

Comment

Work the payments out over the 13 month period.

e.g. rent = £500pcm
        = £6000pa

6000 divided by 13 = £461.54 4 weekly.
        divide this by 2 and you get a fortnightly payment of £230.77 a fortnight
        Ambition is Critical

I don't profess to be a knowledge in all areas, my advice is based on life experience.

Comment

Originally posted by J4L View Post
          Work the payments out over the 13 month period.

e.g. rent = £500pcm
          = £6000pa

6000 divided by 13 = £461.54 4 weekly.
          divide this by 2 and you get a fortnightly payment of £230.77 a fortnight
          Hi J4L

The payments will be paid over 13 months to begin with, i.e. I will receive 12 months rental income over the 13 months.
          If I create a 12 month tenancy then on paper (in the AST) I will not be getting the full year's rent and surely the tenant could leave and I would still be owed some money as they need to be in the house for 13 months for me to get my 12 months of money(?)

On a variation of your calculations I have added the 13 monthly (26 fortnightly) payments together and have divided this by 12 months but the Housing Officer has said that this is incorrect.... I have not asked how this is incorrect, but I will do.
          However, in the meantime any information in the meantime would be extremely gratefully appreciated.

So, to re-iterate this confusing issue - how do I cater for the 13th month in the AST?

Comment

Why not just do a normal ast with the rent due every four weeks.

Or due pcm and it would be the tenants responsability to make sure the rent was paid (get a guarantor as well)

I think you are complicating things which may make it more differcault to serve section 21 and or section 8 if you need to at later date.

Comment

4 weekly rental periods are troublesome IMHO - monthly is better where possible.

VJP. The HB payments are usually made fortnightly or 4 weekly in arrears. I dont get where you get 13 MONTHS payments are made over 12 months - surely you mean 13 4 WEEKLY payments are made over 12 months - which is correct.

J4L is absolutely correct IMO - mainly because I dont understand your post regarding 13 months worth of rent being paid in 12 months.
              Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

It;s really not as difficult as you are making out.
                Change the AST to rent is due every "4 weekly" period of £461.54 (on my previous example)

Can I ask here?
                are you trying to calculate some payments in arrears and is this the cause for confusion?
                If a tenant leaves, then effectively you should receive one more payment in a months time for their notice period.
                Ambition is Critical

I don't profess to be a knowledge in all areas, my advice is based on life experience.

Comment

Vjp

Be assured that in a 12mth period you will receive 13x 4(wk) payments =52wks =12mths

There is no 13th month ........this is where your confusion lies ......

The Rodent
                  A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                  W.Churchill

Comment

Precisely
                    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Light bulb finally switched on

Hey

I am so surprised at the responses to my posting. I have finally 'clicked' as to my confusion of 13 4-weekly payments and how they equate to 12 months!!

Many many thanks for your constructive responses and above all your patience. )

Kindest Regards
                      VjP

Comment

Originally posted by VjP View Post
                        Hey

I am so surprised at the responses to my posting. I have finally 'clicked' as to my confusion of 13 4-weekly payments and how they equate to 12 months!!

Many many thanks for your constructive responses and above all your patience. )

Kindest Regards
                        VjP

Dont mention it !!!

Have spent many hours explaining to tenants that there are NOT 4 weeks in a month, which is basically the same conversation !!!!
                        The Rodent
                        A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                        W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                          Dont mention it !!!

Have spent many hours explaining to tenants that there are NOT 4 weeks in a month, which is basically the same conversation !!!!
                          The Rodent
                          There ARE at least four weeks in every month; and all (except non-leap-year February) also have a few days' excess.
                          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Section 21
                            by Perce
                            It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
                            29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
                          • Section 21
                            by zrux
                            Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
                            I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
                            28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
                          • Reply to Section 21
                            by MdeB
                            Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
                            29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
                          • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                            by Stew
                            I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
                            29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
                          • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                            by MadLL
                            Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
                            I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
                            29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
                          • Reply to The tenant won't pay due rent
                            by Perce
                            DPT57

I agree and this is a problem. Very difficult to find someone you can trust that they would do a good job.

It looks like one has to become a solicitor first to be able to deal with solicitors. Solicitors forget half of the things you tell them, make errors, expect...
                            29-05-2020, 18:52 PM
                          • The tenant won't pay due rent
                            by Uklondoner
                            The tenant just told me he can't pay not even half and didn't apply for benefit probably doesn't know how to. He said I can call Police. What to do now? I know the government back people like him....
                            18-04-2020, 18:34 PM
                            by Hudson01
                            I can not see you getting anywhere with the ex tenants partner but i totally agree you should chase the non paying tenant until the end of time, its is the previous landlords in not going after the arrears which then caused your tenant to be able to not pay you...... somewhere a stand has to be mad...
                            29-05-2020, 18:38 PM
                            by Perce
                            Send your ex tenant a 14 days pre action letter first....
                            29-05-2020, 18:33 PM
                          • Reply to Section 21
                            by Perce
                            The tenant should move to a cheaper accommodation which he can afford....
                            29-05-2020, 18:31 PM
                          Working...
                          X