Letting to two people jointly (one on HB, one not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting to two people jointly (one on HB, one not)

I have a couple that might be intrested in my property.

One partner is on HB and other is working. If I credit check the working partner, and have the tenancy agreement in both their names. Would I be able to go after the working partner if they don't pay rent.

Can there be any problems with this situation?

would it be any harder to remove the tenants in future, if needs be.

T1 and T2 will be jointly and severally liable. Irrespective of how rent is sourced, both are liable (individually and separately) for all of it.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by SALL View Post
      One partner is on HB and other is working. If I credit check the working partner, and have the tenancy agreement in both their names. Would I be able to go after the working partner if they don't pay rent.
      Yes - one is liable if the other defaults, but ........

HB tenant,,
      1 is on HB, but if other is working and living with HB claimant, the HB / rent could be reduced or stopped, as they are living with someone who works. ( only you know how much the working partner earns )

Working tenant...
      So what happens if the working partner spends their money on CD's, videos, finances the HB partner, ( very common ) then says she cant afford the rent.

Not a good situation to start.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X