Fixed term expires soon; L refuses to carry-out works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed term expires soon; L refuses to carry-out works

Hello all! I'm new to this forum and new to renting a flat as a whole so need some guidance.

I have been renting a flat since October 2007 from an Agency, tenancy is renewed every 6 months, thus renewal of tenancy is due again on 3rd of October 2008.

It seems that Lanlord likes receiving the rent and won't do anything else.

We had problems with cockroaches and bed bugs, landlord's response was to buy pesticides and that he had nothing to do with it, we had this sorted out by ourselves.

I have previously asked for old mattresses to be replaced (they are old and you can even feel the wires), this was ignored so we got new ones ourselves, we asked for the old mattresses to be removed from premises and so from inventory and Landlord refused this too saying that he has no place where to keep the mattresses, I think there is no need to keep them as they are old and not useful anymore and we intend to live there for the next 1 to 2 years. Now,old mattresses are just taking space in our hall.

Also, we asked for washing machine and fridge to be replaced as they are not working properly, also this request have been refused by landlord.

We haven't given any problems to the landlord, any problem we had in the flat we have sorted out by ourselves, we pay our rent by direct debit and on time, so I can't understand why Lanlord won't even take the old mattresses away! Surely, it's the Landlord's duty to replace washing machine and fridge.

What is more, Landlord has increased the rent.

I'm going to Agency to see if we can get to a negotiation.

I'm thinking of replacing the washing machine and fridge myself (if landlord doesn't change his maind) and ask the agency to remove the old ones from the premises and inventory, but what if Agency refuses this too?

I wouldn't like to move out as economically at this moment in time is not the best option.

What should I do?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Leave at the end of the fixed term without giving notice, if deposit is withheld chase the TDS as the deposit should be secured in one of the schemes... if not sue him for 3 times the deposit.

Why stay in this hell hole.... oh and take matresses with you and leave the smelly old ones behind!
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Time to move on

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time with your Landlord. It is a shame that you seem to be a good tenant and the LL cannot even live up to his basic obligations of providing you with the basic essentials. I guess you were just unlucky with this particular landlord as there are a few good ones out there – you might even find one with a property to let on this forum!

In your case I would be tempted to withhold a little rent until the landlord fixes the WM and takes the old bed mattresses away - you may not choose to do this but at least mention it to the Agent. If the Agent is managing the property that is the last thing they would want you to do so that might prompt them to try and persuade the LL. The threat of withholding rent usually works with LL’s however, I would not recommend this in all circumstances.

There are plenty of other good quality landlords and properties out there so do as JUSTABOUTSANE suggests and move out without giving any notice at the end of the fixed term.
      lettingaproperty.com
      Nationwide Online Letting Agent
      0844 567 0578

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X