Tenant in arrears and damaging property- serve Notices?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant in arrears and damaging property- serve Notices?

I have a tenant is my 2 bed house, hasn't paid 2 months rent and is knowingly damaging my house. (there was a leak in the bathroom, plumber had to go in fix the leak, redo all the tiling, told the tenant not to use the shower till it's dried etc - wait a few days) plumber has gone back in, tenant is using the shower, lounge ceiling is about to fall in.

Presently the Managing Agent is sending all the usual letters in the normal manner to ask the tenant to pay the rent.

My question: if a tenant is knowingly/carelessly damaging my house is there anything my agent can do, that will 'fast track' him leaving the house?

Feeling quite helpless, wouldn't mind so much if he was just not paying the rent.
    Thanks for reading, hope to hear from you
    brgds
    Alex

If he is 2 month in arrears, agent can issue Section 8 notice under grounds 8, 10 and 11.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Originally posted by MrShed View Post
      If he is 2 month in arrears, agent can issue Section 8 notice under grounds 8, 10 and 11.
      Better worded as:
      If two months' rent (or more) is unpaid, landlord can issue...
      (because 'arrears' is wrong; and it's L in whose name the Notice is issued)
      PLUS use grounds 12 (T breaking a non-rent obligation) and 13 (T damaging house).
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Lol jeffrey hush

Can you clarify the difference between "unpaid rent" and "arrears" in this case jeffrey?

Do you mean because tenancies ordinarily require payment in advance rather than in arrears?
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Originally posted by MrShed View Post
          Lol jeffrey hush

Can you clarify the difference between "unpaid rent" and "arrears" in this case jeffrey?

Do you mean because tenancies ordinarily require payment in advance rather than in arrears?
          No. Instead, it concerns the precise difference in wording within ground 8.
          WEEKLY/FORTNIGHTLY/MONTHLY: wording is "at least [8 weeks'/2months'] rent is unpaid".
          QUARTERLY/YEARLY: wording is "at least [one quarter's/three months'] rent is more than three months in arrears".
          The word "rent" is defined as "rent lawfully due from the tenant." I therefore consider that rent is unpaid as soon as the payment day has come and gone without payment being made.
          Example
          Rent due on 1st of each month, monthly in advance.
          Nothing paid on 1 August.
          Nothing paid on 1 September.
          Rent is two months' unpaid on 2 September.
          Rent is two months in arrears on 1 October.
          Rent is more than two months in arrears on 2 October.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Cheers!!

Comment

Thanks everyone, i remain confused though, are you saying there is anything i can do?

From the Agent (22 September 2008):
              As it stands the tenants owes 2 months rent, arrears 1 was sent to him at the end of August, arrears 2 followed 10/09/08, we then served section 8 (for rent arrears) during a home visit on the 15th September, followed by arrears 3 on the 16th. We are due to send him arrears 4 today, (this letter advises him Section 8 has been served and that he has approximately 1 week to pay the arrears, to avoid you taking legal action against him). Unfortunately I have not been able to contact the tenant by telephone.

brgds
              Alex

Comment

The Agents seem to have it all in hand. Two weeks after service of s.8 Notice, you (L) can begin proceedings.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Help re flatsharing legal position!
                  CatherineCarr
                  Hello, I moved into a friend's flat when she moved out of London last year. It was agreed that I would pay market rate, would not need to pay a deposit, be able to bring various items into the flat, work from home, have a certain amount of storage etc.etc. I was also to share with my friend's then...
                  24-07-2017, 13:18 PM
                • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
                  Wright76
                  I think your friend Emma sounds like a bit of a plonker to be honest and I'd let her get on and deal with the problematic tenant herself.

Any landlord that allows a tenant to withhold rent and then support them in such a way sadly deserves what's coming.

Unfortunately for...
                  24-07-2017, 22:36 PM
                • Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                  pdmalik
                  Hello,

There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
                  23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
                • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                  wfd_property
                  So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

Are you able to say which university city this is?...
                  24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                  Manchesterlandlord
                  hi there

had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

t...
                  24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
                • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                  wfd_property
                  Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
                  24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
                  KTC
                  "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
                  24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
                • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                  Jcg76
                  I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                  Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                  24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                  nukecad
                  At the moment you they pay rent and it's your property.

With rent-to-buy you are proposing that they agree, in principle, to buy the property off you after a certain time for a price agreed now.
                  And at the end of that time they can still walk away without buying.

In the...
                  24-07-2017, 20:56 PM
                  jpkeates
                  Just rent to them while they buy it and sell it to them as though they weren't tenants.
                  Anything else is fraught.

When the sale completes, they'll be their own landlord - so the lease will be academic.
                  Give them the deposit back and you're done....
                  24-07-2017, 20:28 PM
                Working...
                X