Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another tenant wanting to leave early

Dear all,

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice or point me in the right direction.

I am currently renting a property and I would like to leave early due to the landlord not carrying out repairs and generally being awkward. The landlord has supplied fixtures and fittings and the property is fully furnished. Most of these issues would not be grounds to terminate but I wanted to show that there was lots of issues.

I have had the following issues:

1)Washing machine rattling when spinning from point of moving in; still outstanding. Contract states that landlord will 'keep in repair and proper working order all mechanical and electrical item belonging to the lanlord'

2)Gas boiler had water leak; we had to liaise with British Gas directly and arrange service visit and take time off work to wait in for engineer. He advised that Gas boiler had not been serviced since February 2007 but we moved in on the 9th May 2008.

3)Gas Safety Certificate expired on 20th August and despite several reminders is still outstanding (no proof it has been done yet). Apparently this has been done but still waiting for our copy. If it was done it was after the renewal date

3)Plumbing is noisy when hot tap is turned on; need to turn on cold tap in bathroom to eliminate. Issue still outstanding

4)Radiators upstairs heat up when the boiler is running for hot water only, even though the heating is switched off. Told that this kind of system ‘always does that’ implying that we were stuck with it, but it can’t be that efficient if gas is being consumed to heat up radiators unnecessarily.

5)Windows stuck fast following painting. Visit by decorator failed to resolve, . Follow up visit requested. In the meantime cannot open any downstairs windows and now the weather has turned colder, each morning the windows are running with condensation. Issue now mainly resolved

6) Lock on downstairs side sash window is faulty, preventing the window being opened easily. Only ventilation from a extractor hood

7) Not supplied us with a copy of his insurance as per the contract.

8) Electrical items not PAT tested.

Any suggestions from anyone would be much appreciated. We have two months left on the tenancy.

Mark

The gas safety cert is the biggy. Did an engineer actually call out?
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

The law is very clear here. In the absence of a provision in the tenancy agreement (and I have never seen such a provision in a tenancy agreement or lease) a tenant does not have the right to bring a tenancy to an end early on account of a landlord's failure to comply with his obligations. The tenant's remedy is to sue for damages and/or an order requiring the landlord to carry out his obligations.

Comment

If there is no gas safety cert in place, the tenant could argue the property is uninhabitable. On the rest of the terms, I agree wholly LC.
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Originally posted by markpnotts View Post
          Dear all,

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice or point me in the right direction.

I am currently renting a property and I would like to leave early due to the landlord not carrying out repairs and generally being awkward. The landlord has supplied fixtures and fittings and the property is fully furnished. Most of these issues would not be grounds to terminate but I wanted to show that there was lots of issues.

I have had the following issues:

1)Washing machine rattling when spinning from point of moving in; still outstanding. Contract states that landlord will 'keep in repair and proper working order all mechanical and electrical item belonging to the lanlord'
          If it is working the L/L has no obligation to replace it

2)Gas boiler had water leak; we had to liaise with British Gas directly and arrange service visit and take time off work to wait in for engineer. It is normal pratice for the tenant to wait in for tradesman He advised that Gas boiler had not been serviced since February 2007 but we moved in on the 9th May 2008. It doesnt have to be serviced (not very clever not to though) as long as it it safe and has a safety cert
          3)Gas Safety Certificate expired on 20th August and despite several reminders is still outstanding (no proof it has been done yet). Apparently this has been done but still waiting for our copy. If it was done it was after the renewal date You are supposed to have a copy of it

3)Plumbing is noisy when hot tap is turned on; need to turn on cold tap in bathroom to eliminate. Issue still outstanding L/L is under no legal obligation to fix noisy plumbing (depends how noisy)
          4)Radiators upstairs heat up when the boiler is running for hot water only, even though the heating is switched off. Have you tried turning them off at the valve at the side of the rad? Told that this kind of system ‘always does that’ implying that we were stuck with it, but it can’t be that efficient if gas is being consumed to heat up radiators unnecessarily.

5)Windows stuck fast following painting. Visit by decorator failed to resolve, . Follow up visit requested. In the meantime cannot open any downstairs windows and now the weather has turned colder, each morning the windows are running with condensation. Issue now mainly resolved

6) Lock on downstairs side sash window is faulty, preventing the window being opened easily. Only ventilation from a extractor hood Except when the window is opened (with differcaulty)
          7) Not supplied us with a copy of his insurance as per the contract. I dont think he legally has to even if it is in the contract

8) Electrical items not PAT tested. Dont need to be

Any suggestions from anyone would be much appreciated. We have two months left on the tenancy.

Mark
          Yes you do have a number of issues but i see the only way out is to wait until the end of the tenancy

Comment

Doesn’t sound like a week at the Hilton, but not really grounds for breaking the tenancy agreement. Stupid question, but have you asked if you can leave early? If the landlord agrees, then you have a deal.

Maybe a letter hinting at the fact that you do not have a copy of the GSC means that the LL could face a fine or imprisonment, or worse if there is a gas leak? Perhaps he would like a little time to get all these issues sorted before the next tenant occupies?

Otherwise, you will just have to sit it out.
            lettingaproperty.com
            Nationwide Online Letting Agent
            0844 567 0578

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
              by DPT57
              Yes, I agree about the acting reasonably and interestingly the legislation seems to allow for this too through the use of the word "includes"

For the purposes of paragraph (1), the circumstances in which a person (“P”) has a reasonable excuse include cases where.......
              03-06-2020, 17:00 PM
            • Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
              by DJVera
              Hi all - I'm new to this so apologies if this (or similar) has been dealt with somewhere else!
              I own a property in the south west but currently live in London. I've been renting the property out privately. My last tenant moved out in January 2020 and I was planning to get quite a bit of (much needed)
              01-06-2020, 13:38 PM
            • Reply to My tenant lied to me
              by Uklondoner
              The rent has to be two months or more in arrears? My case the tenant owe me less than two months can still do the form?...
              03-06-2020, 16:50 PM
            • My tenant lied to me
              by Uklondoner
              My tenant lied to me saying he missed the first universal credit payment. But actually according to one of my friend the payment normally only take two weeks to come directly to the bank account. What can I do? Can I find a way to let the universal credit directly make overdue rent payment? I really...
              03-06-2020, 09:54 AM
              by theartfullodger
              As a stupid landlord I take grave exception to your slur, Sir!

Next week, amazing, unexpected, revelations that from time2time landlords lie to tenants.............. and agents from time2time lie to landlords AND tenants... and MPs & a particular special adviser seem to lie to most...
              03-06-2020, 16:22 PM
            • Reply to Access to sheds
              by DPT57
              Possibly, although I was basing my comment on this phrase in the original post:...
              03-06-2020, 16:21 PM
            • Access to sheds
              by endymion
              Hi. We have been renting a flat for the past decade under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The flat is one of five in a single block. The back garden contains a large outbuilding comprising ten sheds. Implicitly, then, two sheds per flat. The inventory does contain the wording 'Garages, Sheds, Outbuildings:'...
              03-06-2020, 10:09 AM
              by Uklondoner
              Thanks so much !...
              03-06-2020, 16:21 PM
            • Reply to Access to sheds
              by AndrewDod
              Then you need to go the route I said. Unless there is a lease which specifically defines the demise of Flat X that includes the shed(s) there is no reason at all to explicitly exclude anything....
              03-06-2020, 16:17 PM
              by nukecad
              As it's UC then as a landlord you need to submit a form UC47 to apply to the DWP for a 'Managed Payments to Landlord', which can include an amount for arrears.
              However any repayment of arrears granted will be on a 'pay back at so much a month' basis.

UC47's can now be submitted online....
              03-06-2020, 15:51 PM
            Working...
            X