My tenants moved out and still with my house keys and owe my money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My tenants moved out and still with my house keys and owe my money

My tenants rented my house for a year and many times they has been late with the payments as a result there’s nothing left from their deposit.
    I know They bought a house 3 weeks ago and they “gave” me a month notice but during this 3 weeks and they moved out but left a lot of mess, and some boxes are still left and there’s a window that the glass broke and they need to fix it.
    My questions are:
    First I don’t know their address to send them a letter thought I know the moved quite closely to my house ,is there any web site that can give you this kind of information ?
    Second I;m not very sure I will see any money from them but as far as I concern the notice wasn’t helpful if the house is still in a bad estate and I cannot bring anyone to view and they still have the keys as well (I have one but I can’t legally just come in ,right?)
    And they say they will fixed the broken window but they didn’t yet and I don’t know if I should fix it? and ask for the money???

Is there any legal service I may need to use to help
    Get my house back and the money they owe me? Is anyone know’s someone I can contact??
    thanksssssssssssss

Was the notice in writing? even if not I think the tenant would have a hard time getting you for unfair eviction with notice having been given.

Yes the tenant should be paying for all damages(including changed locks!). Tracking them down will be difficult. Do you have a contact number for them? Failing that there are certain companies which will try and track people down for you, but these can be quite expensive and do not always work...so you need to weigh up the possibility of this costing more than the damages you are claiming back.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Tenants Moved Out

Get everything fixed including cleaning and key cutting and keep all receipts so you can re-let quickly if that's what you intend.
      Trace your tenants (standard fee) - see www.tenantVERIFY.co.uk for a firm that will trace them if necessary, though if you have had them complete a proper tenancy application you should already have enough info to trace them yourself.
      Present them with the full bill and follow-up with a Small Claim if necessary. Providing you evidence everything properly you should have no trouble winning your case with all expenses and full costs.

Comment

first their notice wasn't in wrriten,
        second, am i allowed to go into the house and change the locks? what a about their staff that left there?
        and about finding their address - i mean will i find there address by the basice credit search already?? even if they just bought a house and moved in - would that be already as there current address??
        thanks for your advice!!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
          mandm
          This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
          Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
          I served the...
          21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
        • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
          mariner
          It was the situation predicted by some Judges et al when it was first proposed that the full Penalty would be awarded to the T and not the Exchequer.
          22-07-2017, 01:16 AM
          JK0
          I agree. It's almost at the level of scandal as the people claiming cash by pretending they were ill on holiday. In that case, the Spanish Hotels have told tour operators they won't be doing all inclusive holidays any more.

Therefore, I suggest landlords take a page out of their book, and...
          21-07-2017, 22:22 PM
          mandm
          Letter sent with the evidence attached.
          Slightly off topic, it seems there this deposit protection appears to have gathered conflicting views.
          I would have thought that the purpose of the legislation was the protection of T's money, which most law-abiding landlords do but it seems that its...
          21-07-2017, 21:20 PM
        • Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
          Pickle135
          Our tenancy has just ended. We have cleaned the property from top to bottom using professional cleaners to do this and clean the carpets. He suggested this hadn't been done and wanted the name of our contractor to check which we gave him. The contractor assured him that after eight years the carpets...
          08-03-2017, 00:45 AM
        • Reply to Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
          Pickle135
          Woohoo!

Our adjudication has just come through and the landlord has been given a token payment with the majority of our large deposit being returned to us. He was told that he had not submitted appropriate evidence for the misuse of the property and that things he was saying were wrong...
          21-07-2017, 20:49 PM
        • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
          scooter08
          Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
          England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
          AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
          12/04/2015
          21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
        • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
          scooter08
          Thanks for the reply jp....
          21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
          jpkeates
          Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

So you can simply decline or make your point.
          21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
          scooter08
          I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

Only claiming for the non protection...
          21-07-2017, 18:08 PM
        Working...
        X