Do you credit check all propsective tenants or just one set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you credit check all propsective tenants or just one set?

Do you credit check all different tenants if you have several apply, or do you just go ahead and check one that you most like the sound of from the application?

Originally posted by ellexesse View Post
    Do you credit check all different tenants if you have several apply, or do you just go ahead and check one that you most like the sound of from the application?
    If you don't like the look of the others, though, why are you letting to them?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

We haven't actually seen them yet, doing it tomorrow. We were trying to understand whether we should get the money for the check at the time when they fill in the application or whether to wait until later when we have chosen the one with whom we want to potentially proceed. I guess that you would recommend only giving the application form to those who you thought were suitable at the viewing? What if more than one person seemed suitable though? Is it normal to charge them all and yet only ultimately choose one?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

It would completely depend upon how you want to do it, and what you would feel most comfortable with. At my previous agency, we would allow just one tenant to sign up, with the others as permitted occupiers. However, the one person who had the checks etc. done against them would also be the only person on the tenancy agreement, and so would be the person responsible - many tenants wanted to do this if one was working and one wasn't (and thus would require a guarantor).

However, I now insist that all tenants are referenced, so that we can be sure that everyone who enters into the agreement is the type of tenant that we want in the property.

Comment

Did you do this for only one set? We have several people coming to view the house tomorrow and are wondering if we should be checking them all out at their cost? Seems a little harsh seeing as we can only go with one set of tenants in the end.

Comment

Did you do this for only one set? We have several people coming to view the house tomorrow and are wondering if we should be checking them all out at their cost? Seems a little harsh seeing as we can only go with one set of tenants in the end.
            The way that we play it is 'first come, fist served', so whoever puts down the application fee then has the property. It may be worth taking applications from all sets of tenants and then making a decision about which set you want to go for (based on their application forms (if you are using any)) - but make all the sets of tenants aware that you may be taking multiple applications.

Comment

Presumably you're talking about different applicants for different tenancies, rather than several people applying as sharers for one tenancy, right?

I basically make up my mind which applicants are the ones I want as tenants from having interviewed them when they view the property; if they're interested I will explain I will need to get credit checks, references etc, and will have asked them verbally whether there's any bad credit history and whether they earn enough to fulfil my income criteria.

The chosen punter(s), and them alone, get put through the credit/reference checking mill etc, and hopefully get offered the tenancy.

The point is that the checking process really just serves to confirm and verify the information they have provided is true and accurate; I would never want to use it to 'rank' a succession of applicants. So I really can't see the point in checking out everyone who applies, as you're suggesting - complete waste of everyone's time and money.

I think only once have I had an applicant complete my application form, get credit checked etc, and not then gone on to be offered a tenancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                Presumably you're talking about different applicants for different tenancies, rather than several people applying as sharers for one tenancy, right?

I basically make up my mind which applicants are the ones I want as tenants from having interviewed them when they view the property; if they're interested I will explain I will need to get credit checks, references etc, and will have asked them verbally whether there's any bad credit history and whether they earn enough to fulfil my income criteria.

The chosen punter(s), and them alone, get put through the credit/reference checking mill etc, and hopefully get offered the tenancy.

The point is that the checking process really just serves to confirm and verify the information they have provided is true and accurate; I would never want to use it to 'rank' a succession of applicants. So I really can't see the point in checking out everyone who applies, as you're suggesting - complete waste of everyone's time and money.

I think only once have I had an applicant complete my application form, get credit checked etc, and not then gone on to be offered a tenancy.
                I was equally unclear as to what the OP was referring to.
                Perhaps she can clarify her query.
                Personally, I wouldn't put anyone in a property who hadn't been checked by my process, regardless of who is actually paying rent.

I apply a very similar method to what you do for verifying people and its has worked well for many years.

Comment

If I wanted to rent a place and the landlord wanted me to pay for a credit check with no guarantee of actually being able to live there, I wouldn't bother. I'd find another place to live. I've only rented a couple of places, but both times the agents took it off the market as soon as I'd paid the credit check/application fee.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel007 View Post
                    If I wanted to rent a place and the landlord wanted me to pay for a credit check with no guarantee of actually being able to live there, I wouldn't bother. I'd find another place to live. I've only rented a couple of places, but both times the agents took it off the market as soon as I'd paid the credit check/application fee.
                    Seems perfectly reasonable.
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dont have access to a printer
                      by AndrewDod
                      The raft of recent legislation pretty much requires that you print a planet destroying amount of paper (and some parts of it, such as the rather wonderful "How to rent" booklet are designed so as to require an entire ink cartridge worth of ink per page).

Strangely enough the...
                      30-05-2020, 02:24 AM
                    • Dont have access to a printer
                      by jtufty
                      Hi,

I have a new tenant moving in. Ive got the contract and Condition Report ready to go but I dont have access to a printer. Is it enough for me to email these to the tenant and ask them in writing to respond theyre happy with it all?

Thanks...
                      28-05-2020, 06:19 AM
                    • Reply to Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
                      by Perce
                      In what ways can small claims court impact S21 or S8 ? Does anybody has experienced?...
                      29-05-2020, 22:38 PM
                    • Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
                      by Mavis808
                      I have a Tenant Couple who have informed me this week that they can not afford the rent this month. Naturally they have blamed this on the Coronavirus however they have paid their rent 1 week late often, sometimes longer so have struggled in the past.

I kindly said I would help with a payment...
                      24-05-2020, 18:20 PM
                    • S21 notice
                      by Uklondoner
                      My tenant is on rolling contract. Since 18/04 he has not paid the rent only paid a quarter of the owed rent recently. I am ready to serve him s21. Because he is hard to talk to and being dishonest to me. Does the s21 include the time for eviction? You might say 3moths but I will say 2 weeks whatso...
                      29-05-2020, 21:52 PM
                    • Reply to Section 21
                      by Perce
                      It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
                      29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
                    • Section 21
                      by zrux
                      Hi

My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
                      I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
                      28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
                    • Reply to Section 21
                      by MdeB
                      Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
                      29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
                    • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                      by Stew
                      I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
                      29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
                    • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
                      by MadLL
                      Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
                      I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
                      29-05-2020, 17:30 PM
                    Working...
                    X