Do you credit check all propsective tenants or just one set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you credit check all propsective tenants or just one set?

Do you credit check all different tenants if you have several apply, or do you just go ahead and check one that you most like the sound of from the application?

Originally posted by ellexesse View Post
    Do you credit check all different tenants if you have several apply, or do you just go ahead and check one that you most like the sound of from the application?
    If you don't like the look of the others, though, why are you letting to them?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

We haven't actually seen them yet, doing it tomorrow. We were trying to understand whether we should get the money for the check at the time when they fill in the application or whether to wait until later when we have chosen the one with whom we want to potentially proceed. I guess that you would recommend only giving the application form to those who you thought were suitable at the viewing? What if more than one person seemed suitable though? Is it normal to charge them all and yet only ultimately choose one?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

It would completely depend upon how you want to do it, and what you would feel most comfortable with. At my previous agency, we would allow just one tenant to sign up, with the others as permitted occupiers. However, the one person who had the checks etc. done against them would also be the only person on the tenancy agreement, and so would be the person responsible - many tenants wanted to do this if one was working and one wasn't (and thus would require a guarantor).

However, I now insist that all tenants are referenced, so that we can be sure that everyone who enters into the agreement is the type of tenant that we want in the property.

Comment

Did you do this for only one set? We have several people coming to view the house tomorrow and are wondering if we should be checking them all out at their cost? Seems a little harsh seeing as we can only go with one set of tenants in the end.

Comment

Did you do this for only one set? We have several people coming to view the house tomorrow and are wondering if we should be checking them all out at their cost? Seems a little harsh seeing as we can only go with one set of tenants in the end.
            The way that we play it is 'first come, fist served', so whoever puts down the application fee then has the property. It may be worth taking applications from all sets of tenants and then making a decision about which set you want to go for (based on their application forms (if you are using any)) - but make all the sets of tenants aware that you may be taking multiple applications.

Comment

Presumably you're talking about different applicants for different tenancies, rather than several people applying as sharers for one tenancy, right?

I basically make up my mind which applicants are the ones I want as tenants from having interviewed them when they view the property; if they're interested I will explain I will need to get credit checks, references etc, and will have asked them verbally whether there's any bad credit history and whether they earn enough to fulfil my income criteria.

The chosen punter(s), and them alone, get put through the credit/reference checking mill etc, and hopefully get offered the tenancy.

The point is that the checking process really just serves to confirm and verify the information they have provided is true and accurate; I would never want to use it to 'rank' a succession of applicants. So I really can't see the point in checking out everyone who applies, as you're suggesting - complete waste of everyone's time and money.

I think only once have I had an applicant complete my application form, get credit checked etc, and not then gone on to be offered a tenancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                Presumably you're talking about different applicants for different tenancies, rather than several people applying as sharers for one tenancy, right?

I basically make up my mind which applicants are the ones I want as tenants from having interviewed them when they view the property; if they're interested I will explain I will need to get credit checks, references etc, and will have asked them verbally whether there's any bad credit history and whether they earn enough to fulfil my income criteria.

The chosen punter(s), and them alone, get put through the credit/reference checking mill etc, and hopefully get offered the tenancy.

The point is that the checking process really just serves to confirm and verify the information they have provided is true and accurate; I would never want to use it to 'rank' a succession of applicants. So I really can't see the point in checking out everyone who applies, as you're suggesting - complete waste of everyone's time and money.

I think only once have I had an applicant complete my application form, get credit checked etc, and not then gone on to be offered a tenancy.
                I was equally unclear as to what the OP was referring to.
                Perhaps she can clarify her query.
                Personally, I wouldn't put anyone in a property who hadn't been checked by my process, regardless of who is actually paying rent.

I apply a very similar method to what you do for verifying people and its has worked well for many years.

Comment

If I wanted to rent a place and the landlord wanted me to pay for a credit check with no guarantee of actually being able to live there, I wouldn't bother. I'd find another place to live. I've only rented a couple of places, but both times the agents took it off the market as soon as I'd paid the credit check/application fee.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel007 View Post
                    If I wanted to rent a place and the landlord wanted me to pay for a credit check with no guarantee of actually being able to live there, I wouldn't bother. I'd find another place to live. I've only rented a couple of places, but both times the agents took it off the market as soon as I'd paid the credit check/application fee.
                    Seems perfectly reasonable.
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Epc
                      by mariner
                      Not quite. The LL can apply to Court for Right of Access & ask Court to apply costs against T.
                      29-03-2020, 02:10 AM
                    • Epc
                      by lavy
                      Hi, Wondered if someone could clarify I have property with existing tenants in place long term and the epc has expired but was in force when they moved in . I am aware that it would need to be renewed if a new tenant was to move in . With the new rules coming into force soon must i get an epc done...
                      11-02-2020, 12:28 PM
                    • Reply to No EPC
                      by mariner
                      I think you need a valid EPC before the Property can be advertised for sale/rent, but not for an eviction.
                      29-03-2020, 01:30 AM
                    • No EPC
                      by Onepropertypeter
                      I have a single property which I have owned since 1998. I currently have had the same tennent for about 10 years. When she began the tennency there was no requirement to have an epc and I was unaware that I needed one! I have decided to sell the property as I am now 70 years old and want the capital....
                      28-03-2020, 16:16 PM
                    • Reply to Epc
                      by flyingfreehold
                      Not quite correct. If the tenant refuses upgrades, which is his/her right this is a ground to apply for exemption...
                      28-03-2020, 22:15 PM
                    • Reply to Asking for 35% off rent
                      by AndrewDod
                      This is not likely to be valid or easy employed. It does not sound like a deed. What witnesses were there? How many witnesses and who were they? Do you have proof of ID for the Guarantor and witnesses?

But yes, they are most likely chancers using the law to try to diddle you.
                      28-03-2020, 21:15 PM
                    • Asking for 35% off rent
                      by Lillylisa
                      Hi. I am a fairly new landlord and I only own one property. About a month ago I reached out to my tenants asking if they were okay and if they wanted to get in contact with me please do. Three days later they contacted me to ask for a massive reduction in the rent asking for 35% off. I have no issues...
                      28-03-2020, 16:20 PM
                      by Snorkerz
                      Then unfortunately, you will have difficulty enforcing the guarantee (unless your guarantor is named as a tenant or the tenancy agreement is executed as a deed). The reason for that is because

With your tenancy agreement
                      • You give the tenants a tenancy, they give you rent (consideration)
                      • Guarantor
                      28-03-2020, 21:13 PM
                      by Lillylisa
                      Ps I’m unable to edit the original. Sorry so long winded. I have a visual impairment & have to use voice dictation. It’s awful!...
                      28-03-2020, 21:06 PM
                      by Lillylisa
                      To be clear: the guarantor signed the contract which has a section called The Guarantor which clearly lays out his/her legal liabilities. In this case, he is liable for all the rent not just for his nephews. I’m sure they would not want this to fall to him. They have been very good tenants so far....
                      28-03-2020, 21:02 PM
                    Working...
                    X