Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST and Rent Schedule

Hello

My rent will be paid directly from the council i.e they will be paying HB directly to me. However, the council pay in 4-weekly payments, therefore the following applies:

13 (4-weekly) payments = 1 year’s rent

My questions are as follows:

1a. Should the AST reflect this i.e should the rent payment refer to 13 instalments?

OR

1b. Should I still refer to it as 12 monthly payments?

Many thanks in advance
    VjP

This is a frequent problem. There is no easy solution other than yourself keeping both L and Council happy.
    1. L will seek monthly rent. To reserve it payable every four weeks instead would cause major problems, esp. at end of fixed term.
    2. Council will pay only four-weekly.
    3. Neither is likely to change! If Council are paying to you (as T) every four weeks, make sure that you yourself pay L every month instead.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Sorry - I have just re-read how I have posted this, I meant to say that I am the LL and as LL I will be paid in 4-weekely payment. So my questions with this infoimation are which of the following do I write in the AST:

1a. Should the AST reflect this i.e should the rent payment refer to 13 instalments?

OR

1b. Should I still refer to it as 12 monthly payments?

Apologies for the confusion and many thanks

Comment

Answer is largely the same.
        You reserve rent calendar monthly, as usual; T must make sure that he/she pays you every month, irrespective of how Council release funds.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Thank you very much Jeffrey. (Sorry for the confusion earlier.)

Comment

HB Tenants

From my experience its best to mention the rent as weekly. Fixed period is six months. If need to use s21 after fixed period then deal in weekly rent periods.

I'm sure somebody can find some holes in this, but after 4 years only just coming to my first court case.

Also if you can get one month's rent in advance, say you will keep this until the HB payment kicks in (6 weeks) and then refund it to them. Gives them more incentive to fill out the paperwork properly / promptly

Comment

Originally posted by VjP View Post
              Thank you very much Jeffrey. (Sorry for the confusion earlier.)
              1. Avoid possible problems by keeping a clear and accurate tabulation/spreadsheet.

2. Down LHS, list dates and amounts of credits (= money received from Council or T).

3. Down RHS, list monthly dates and amounts of debits (= rent due).

4. After every entry, no matter on whcih side, note net balance (= surplus or, more likely, shortfall). If rent due is not paid on due date AND T is already one month or more in arrears, you could then immediately serve a s.8 Notice under g8/10/11.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X