Credit checks an landlord have access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit checks an landlord have access

Hi A friend has asked her agent to let her have a copy of the credit checks from the referencing company. They have said they not allowed to pass this information on as it is in breach of the Data Protection Act.
    Is this correct?
    I am here because I am inexperienced and want to learn.

Assuming that your friend is the landlord of the property, the agent will be fine to release the details of the credit check as long as they have the express permission of the tenant (or whoever was the subject of the credit check). It is best to get this permission in writing from the tenant.

However, if the tenant does not give permission, then it is correct that they cannot release the information.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixPropertyShop View Post
      Assuming that your friend is the landlord of the property, the agent will be fine to release the details of the credit check as long as they have the express permission of the tenant (or whoever was the subject of the credit check). It is best to get this permission in writing from the tenant.

However, if the tenant does not give permission, then it is correct that they cannot release the information.
      I don't agree. What A does/knows is imputed to L. A has no legal grounds for failing to disclose everthing to L, irrespective of T's consent.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        I don't agree. What A does/knows is imputed to L. A has no legal grounds for failing to disclose everthing to L, irrespective of T's consent.
        Apologies, it would appear that I have been previously misinformed. As they say, you learn something new every day!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X